What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to for Wales?

BatiFan

Juniors
Reports suggest that yesterday's loss to Lebanon was the last game in the glittering international careers of both Lee Briers and Iestyn Harris. Based on performances against Scotland and Lebanon, I dont think anyone would disagree that Iestyn's time is definately up. He was woeful in both games and didnt seem to have the passion as he once did when he donned the red of Wales. But that leaves the question as to where Wales will find replacements for these 2 stalwarts? Add to the retirement of hooker Keiron Cunningham and Wales' best players of the modern era are all now gone! Not too mention that all three play in key positions.

Other players who need to be forced out based on performance are Adam Hughes and Rob Roberts, both of whom offer absolutely nothing to the cause.

Wales have a good mix of talented outside backs in Damien Gibson (although he too would be getting on in years), Bryn Powell, Blackwood, Halley and more young Welsh players will come through the Celtic Crusaders ranks over the course of the next year or so. But what do they do about Halves?

The Crusaders are in the business of winning games and can not afford to gamble on giving inexperienced young Welsh players time to develop in these key positions, hence why they have bought in Australian players in those positions. But what is the good of having a Welsh side if it is not going to advance the Welsh national team?

JasonE

Bench
The Crusaders will have an Academy side next year so hopefully over the next 4 years those players and particularly the halves develop and get themselves up to the required level.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
If they do things properly they have no future. 1 club is no development pool, whether they are in Super League or not. Rugby league is not played in Wales bar the Crusaders and a few pub team level amateur organisations. There will not be any Super League or NRL quality players coming out of Wales for the forseeable future.

They are crap at Union and football too so I can't really see any future for them in league.

RLIF

Juniors
They need to keep on progressing with their Juniors. They have some good U16's playing against England and France every year. And when there is a secondary school competition they get some competitive teams playing.

They will get a Super League club and thats the start they need. The Crusaders will have an Academy side that will be all Welsh (thats from the Crusaders media) so it will take a few years to develop some players.

By the next World Cup they will have a semi competitive team.

Firstly they need to keep playing plenty of internationals. With the WC next year there is actually a good opportunity for Wales to pick up some warm-up games against others from Europe. One can assume England, Ireland, Scotland and France will all be keen on a game or two before the WC, probably against non WC opposition, and Wales is the obvious option.

Secondly, the Crusaders getting to SL would be a huge boost in so many ways it's hard to know where to start. One plus might be the ability to sign a couple of handy union players. Some fans might be critical of that idea but it worked well in the past and even though times have changed there must be the odd Welsh pro union player who is willing to give RL a go and has the ability to make a go of it.

And thirdly keep growing at the amateur and junior level. There are some decent players that have come through the small Welsh system, including a couple of lads recently signed by Wire from Brynteg. The academy and their under 15/16 setups should only improve.

South Wales has huge potential as a RL area. It just needs some support and time to grow. A WC appearance would have been ideal but thanks to the rules, qualifying system and the ability of others to recruit better GP players they just missed out. It's bad luck for them and for the game but hopefully not a fatal blow.

Coastbloke

Bench
I see in 1975, Wales played Australia at the SCG in front of 25,000. French ref (for the neutral ref fans such as myself) and lost by about 12 points.....

Haven't really looked much further into it, but with all the hoo haa about the loss of Cunningham and Harris, it seems to me Wales had a better era when they weren't around....

After some of the Sydney crowds and results with the same same opposition in the last few years , 25-13 between Australia and Wales in front of almost 26,000 seems very attractive....

Coastbloke said:
I see in 1975, Wales played Australia at the SCG in front of 25,000. French ref (for the neutral ref fans such as myself) and lost by about 12 points.....

Haven't really looked much further into it, but with all the hoo haa about the loss of Cunningham and Harris, it seems to me Wales had a better era when they weren't around....

After some of the Sydney crowds and results with the same same opposition in the last few years , 25-13 between Australia and Wales in front of almost 26,000 seems very attractive....
Wales had a pretty good side in that era, but of course they were all union converts. Their forwards were their strength as far as I am aware with Jim Mills probably the most well known of them. In fact Wales would have had competitive sides from the very early days right through to 1995 but there were many years in which they never played, at least not as Wales. I suppose there was no Welsh RL, just the RFL so they either played for England or Great Britain depending on the era. Really, Wales should be a powerhouse of league today but for the scores of Welsh players that have played the game at the top level there was never any effort put into growing the game from the bottom up in the principality until years after union went pro, and therefore too late to capitalise. It's a different environment now with union fully pro and rich to boot. But RL can still grow in Wales and become a force if that long overdue effort is made now.

Coastbloke

Bench
I agree ECT....

A franchised Celtic Crusaders in the ESL will do for Wales RL what Catalans and Warriors have done for French and Kiwi League in the last few years.....Notwithstanding the Kiwis fine form this year........!!

griff

Bench
East Coast Tiger said:
In fact Wales would have had competitive sides from the very early days right through to 1995 but there were many years in which they never played, at least not as Wales. I suppose there was no Welsh RL, just the RFL so they either played for England or Great Britain depending on the era.

Wales played as Wales every year right through from the year dot through to the super league era (except for during the wars). Mainly in the European Championship, but also in World Cups and against touring Kangaroo or Kiwi sides.

bowes

Juniors
East Coast Tiger said:
there was never any effort put into growing the game from the bottom up in the principality until years after union went pro
Not true, in the 50s there was a proper Welsh league, and probably some other times. Not to mention countless teams in the pro leagues, I don't think the current timne is anything like the most effort put into Wales in history, more the case that there was no SL in those days and the travelling was more difficult

bazza

Immortal
RLIF said:
They need to keep on progressing with their Juniors. They have some good U16's playing against England and France every year. And when there is a secondary school competition they get some competitive teams playing.

They will get a Super League club and thats the start they need. The Crusaders will have an Academy side that will be all Welsh (thats from the Crusaders media) so it will take a few years to develop some players.

By the next World Cup they will have a semi competitive team.

Yes - just continue to get more kids in Wales to play the game and get a few more teams in the Welsh conference. The better players will progress to Celtic Crusaders and Super League teams

Also continue for national team to play regular matches to get some welsh heritage players to commit to the team to keep in strong in the short term

BatiFan

Juniors
The big positive for Wales over the next few years (hopefully they continue to play meaningful internationals) is that they have a core of good quality young forwards coming through in Kopzac, Bracek and Matt James. These 3 players are still only starting their Super League careers (all 20 years old or around that mark I am lead to believe) and given some time to develop over the next few years they will hopefully be the backbone of the Welsh forwards for some time to come. David Mills is another player who had a great season at Harlequins but was ruled out for Wales because of injury. But with him, they get size and some experience and coupled with those young guys and talented players like Jordan James (hopefully his injury is not as serious as first suspected) and Phil Joseph, Wales could start to plan for the next WC with some optimism.

Outside backs and halves seem like their achilles heel over the next 3-4 years.

bowes

Juniors
Good news is that the Crusaders are planning on entering a reserve team into the RL Conference National (the old National League 3), which lets some Welsh players, aside from the few good enough for NL1 (and potentially SL), play RL properly as opposed to just giving them a few games in the RU off season (which is all the Welsh conference offers), which, along with their academy, will be vital for local player development

Nz

Juniors
Wales have always had a deep affiliation with Rugby League,
Though, it may have been in their best interests ( post the union world cup ) to qualify for RLWC08, there are many bright things on the horizon for these guys.

Now is the time for Wales to develop young enthusiastic players through the academy and spark growth within the sport. Theres too much pride, history and passion behind these guys for them to let it all go now. I believe Wales can only learn from this, its time for them to discover some new talent within the ranks for the future.

Latest posts