What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to for Wesser?

themacemaceman

Juniors
Guys, would be interested in getting peoples opinions on Wesser for 2010. I think it would be a shame to switch Merritt back to the wing. Two years ago I would have said without a doubt Nathan is a better winger......But in 2009 in think he is great at fullback. The way he backs up and gets the off-load as he did last night to score has been a big feature of our play this year. Whats the general consensus out there?

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
merrit at fullback. if they are really desperate to prove wesser isnt a waste of oney chuck him on the wing and see how he goes

Isaaxe

Juniors
If SS want to be a Top 6 side go with Wesser.

Merritt will be our fullback long term until James Roberts takes over in 6 years or so.

Merritt will learn a hell of a lot playing in a SS side with Wesser.

Robbie 12

Juniors
I would have him playing for North sydney, teaching and inspire any young full backs,

keep him in case of injury to first grade,

I first saw him when he first jointed he was much smaller then merrit, and I think merrit is stronger and faster then him, talanoa and simpson have really stood up this year both making double figures in trys this year....and and mcqueen looks good too

Ike E Bear

Juniors
At the start of the season I thougth Merrit was going to bag a tonne of tries, as Wesser was chiming into the attacking line beautifully and I could see a combination developing ... and then Wesser got injured.

In his absence, though, Merritt just scored the tries anyway. Hahaha.

It's tough to tell but it'd be a shame if Wesser's time at Souths turned out to be a total waste. I'd give Wesser first crack at it, with him knowing that he'll be dropped if he doesn't measure up. If Merritt looks like he might be going back into his shell, that might trigger a switch back to fullback too.

NGR

Juniors
wesser will take the fullback spot from merritt... he will train the house down like he does every year and win over JT..

but dont stress..

His glass knee will hold up for 5 games at most...

hunters

Juniors
If I was picking a team, first selection would be Merritt at fullback and work out the rest later. He has been close to our best this year and could almost challenge Luke Stuart for the most underated tag. Anyone that questions his defence is simply making it up.

I found a stat (halfway through July) that said Souths had conceded less tries from kicks than any other team. This is surprising given how many tries we've let in. I'm sure this has a lot to do with Merritt's positional play and ability under the high ball.

Another thing I only noticed the other week was how much talking Nathan does during the game and given that Sutton says very little and Asotasi not much more, I think Merritt's voice out the back is essential.

I won't write Wesser off but he will need to win the position back and not have it handed to him.

Merritt has to stay at fullback, rock solid at the back and a brilliant runner with the ball this season....scores tries and thats what counts. Only Hayne has been the superior form number one in the comp over Merritt. Wesser can have a shot on the wing, otherwise he has to prove he is good enough to steal the spot back.

G-ROCK

Juniors
Merritt is by far the most safe and consistent player in our team, also i'd rate as the best and most overlooked. God knows why Wolf Man and James Mcmanus got a spot on the wing over him in SOO i mean WTF!! but anyway thats a different story.

Merritt has become outstanding at fullback and i wouldn't trade him for anyone else, That being said i still think his just as good winger, And i'd love to see him get the spot he deserves in REP sides.

I'd put Wesser at Fullback and Merritt on the wing, if Merritt was on the wing for the whole season theres no doubt in my mind he would've snagged the leading try scorer. Sutton puts the high across field kick in and merritt is the one always going up for it, also the Merritt intercept and run the field is a sight i miss.
The wingers we have ATM are well i hate to say it, but very average. Mcqueen had a solid first game, every game after that has been woeful, Simpson goes good in attack, but he can be very inconsistent and him in defense is something i put a question mark on, Centre pairing Colin best & Champion are great, they are both strong defenders and good attackers, I really like the look of this Junior VaiVai he is also going great guns.
And Fetuli Talanoa has really stepped off the pedal, he has some great talent but still needs improving.

But Merritt on Wing, Wesser at Fullback. We will definatly have an allround better side and wont be worrying everytime the opposition puts up a high kick to the winger, cause we'll be safe to know that Mad Max is under it :)

Merritt needs to be in the centre of the pitch so he can chime into the backline and carve up as per this season....prior to slotting him in at fullback the opportunites did not come for the guy. Placing the best attacking player out wide will take so much offensive spirit away. I believe he is also a safer option on defence and depsite Wesser's speed he is not as reliable on defence or under the high ball.

If Merritt is solid and Wesser unpredictable under a bomb, I know where I would be placing a kick. Wesser can have a wing spot, but Simpson, McQueen and Talanoa have all been highly capable this season. May be tough for him to gain a start without some real confidence that he can handle pressure after being out for so long.

G-ROCK

Juniors
I gotta disagree with that, merritt had probably more opportunities on wing. He was leading the trys scored when he was playing wing this year, and the year he was the leading try scorer he was in the wing position.
And Mcqueen i see potential but has been woeful other then his first game against manly.

Dave Q

Coach
Wesser >>>>>> coach!

Seriously thogh, Souths are having a coaching crisis and theres all these idiots out there following other clubs into the finals series.

This game has hit rock-bottom.

Fans of the finals clubs, ....youse are a disgrace.

Last edited: