What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

which coach has the balls

red rocket

Juniors
Every 5 years or so our great.
Game. Goes. Through a. Change in the. Way it is played years ago we had warren ryan footy hunt as a pack up and in defence brian smith go to a 60 hit back go to a40/ play the short side backlines would stand deep. Bellamy introduced. Flat backlines with. Players playing in their own corridores halfs splitting. Every side now plays the same which. Coach do yas. All think. Will come up with something. Different. Why cant 2nd rowers attach on the same side. Etc .. . . .h

BrissyRedV

Bench
Mary is obviously a revolutionary coach. Wanting to shorten the field and not score tries off kicks and he already uses a play utilising 2 centres and a 2nd rower attacking the same side with Dugan on the sweep play. He is pretty much changing how the game is played single handedly.

Every 5 years or so our great.
Game. Goes. Through a. Change in the. Way it is played years ago we had warren ryan footy hunt as a pack up and in defence brian smith go to a 60 hit back go to a40/ play the short side backlines would stand deep. Bellamy introduced. Flat backlines with. Players playing in their own corridores halfs splitting. Every side now plays the same which. Coach do yas. All think. Will come up with something. Different. Why cant 2nd rowers attach on the same side. Etc .. . . .h

I think it will be a Coach by the name of Paul (Mary) McGregor.
The strategy that will change things up will be to have four hit ups one of the ruck followed by a sideways play ending with a kick on the last :rolleyes:

As for the comment "every side now plays the same" I can think of one team who didn't play footy at all last year :(

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Mary is obviously a revolutionary coach. Wanting to shorten the field and not score tries off kicks and he already uses a play utilising 2 centres and a 2nd rower attacking the same side with Dugan on the sweep play. He is pretty much changing how the game is played single handedly.

Lol

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

Not to mention playing a lock forward in place of a halfback, and only using three interchange players at all times no matter the circumstances. I sometimes think Mary doesn't get the credit he deserves for his innovative approach.

red rocket

Juniors
The. One. With. The. Best. Use. Of. Unnecessary. Full. Stops.
Was trying to find out on which coach might reinvent the game like a Gibson bath ryan masters Gould bellamey what are you a fecken bloody school teacher I know me grammers not real good but this is a forum not a bloody exam ya sit down to go to the loo big noter

since77

Juniors
Was trying to find out on which coach might reinvent the game like a Gibson bath ryan masters Gould bellamey what are you a fecken bloody school teacher I know me grammers not real good but this is a forum not a bloody exam ya sit down to go to the loo big noter

Yeah, I can see that your "grammers" not real good. You might want to google what a comma is as well. These things help when people are trying to decipher what you're trying to say.

red rocket

Juniors
Yeah, I can see that your "grammers" not real good. You might want to google what a comma is as well. These things help when people are trying to decipher what you're trying to say.
Reckon if you was sitting on the deck with me and me mates and I gave ya a slap up the chops youed know what I'm talking about bigtimer

Uplifting

Juniors
Red Rocket thanks for your awesome post. It's a great question!

I think it's a timely one too, because those coaches who are just trying to emulate what worked thus far are being left behind.

My knowledge of the game isn't good enough to identify the style of game that will be supreme and set the standard, but I'd guess that the Sharks or the Titans are on to something. They were potent and as the season 2016 went on, were more effective than anyone they played.

So Shane Flanagan and/or Neil Henry will change the way the game is played. Anyone able to give an analysis on their strategic practice on the field?

red rocket

Juniors
Red Rocket thanks for your awesome post. It's a great question!

I think it's a timely one too, because those coaches who are just trying to emulate what worked thus far are being left behind.

My knowledge of the game isn't good enough to identify the style of game that will be supreme and set the standard, but I'd guess that the Sharks or the Titans are on to something. They were potent and as the season 2016 went on, were more effective than anyone they played.

So Shane Flanagan and/or Neil Henry will change the way the game is played. Anyone able to give an analysis on their strategic practice on the field?
I think the role of lock will change instead of playing like a middle man I think they will start using players like Cartwright. Bird. Peachey. Etc. That can be creative and take the heat off the halves. I think we may also see sides defending the middle without the forwards stuck in their corridors off course the centers and half's would split but have the big men working together and spotting weaknesses out the back sweeping plays gone more playing what they see. One of saints biggest problems is we put the big play on to late in the tackle count. Then of course opposition defence is set and waiting I don't know the answer to my question but perhaps the coach to change things might be someone from the outside looking in such as clearly. Walters or head

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Trying to answer this seriously, its probably going to be someone coming up rhrough the ranks. It could be Demetriou. It could be the Walker Brothers who achieved success with a different play plan.

Of the current first grade coaches, I reckon Jason Taylor has plenty of football nous, hes smart enough to come up with something new, and he has the cattle to potentially make it work. Unfortunately he also seens to have no people skills.

I was being flippant with my previous comment on MacGregor, but he has tried different things and experimented. None of his experiments have worked, but he has tried.

BennyV

Referee
Anyone expecting some dramatic, radical change re: Walker bros is kidding themselves.

The last 'revolutionary' I could think of was Roosters 2013, with Robinson heavily applauding his defensive and attacking assistants in Fitzgibbon and Taylor for their role. Their defensive pattern that year was phenomenal, with a structured line coupled with 'shooters' shutting plays down. And their attacking structure was magic, every time a playmaker got the ball he had 3-4 options for runners, 2-3 times a set.

I wouldn't put it past Taylor, he's got a great tactical mind and has a young, enthusiastic and fast team at his disposal.

since77

Juniors
Anyone expecting some dramatic, radical change re: Walker bros is kidding themselves.

The last 'revolutionary' I could think of was Roosters 2013, with Robinson heavily applauding his defensive and attacking assistants in Fitzgibbon and Taylor for their role. Their defensive pattern that year was phenomenal, with a structured line coupled with 'shooters' shutting plays down. And their attacking structure was magic, every time a playmaker got the ball he had 3-4 options for runners, 2-3 times a set.

I wouldn't put it past Taylor, he's got a great tactical mind and has a young, enthusiastic and fast team at his disposal.

That 2013 Roosters side was one of the best drilled teams I've ever seen - big, fast, skillful and almost perfect in their attacking formations. Great example of a great roster taken to its full potential by a great coach.