What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which country will have the most home grown players?

paulmac

Juniors
Just wondering where we are at with which country outside of Aus,NZ,PNG,Eng,France and Wales will have the most domestic players in their World Cup line up.I think Scotland will use this tournament as chance to reward their domestic players as they have no realistic chance of getting out of their group.What do you think?

RedVee

First Grade
Not a clue, but I doubt there will be a large proportion in any of them.

Springs

First Grade
Scotland aren't going to just throw in domestic players and get flogged every game. As for a realistic chance of getting out of their group Fiji and Ireland supposedly had none last time.

Outside of those teams I'd say USA will probably have the most domestic players.
Fiji will have a lot of Fijian born players but they will most likely be playing in Australia.
The others won't use domestic players when they have many other better heritage playes to choose from.

deal.with.it

Juniors
I can see Tonga, Samoa, Cook Islands having none.
Ireland, Scotland and Fiji having 3.
New Zealand, USA and Italy each having 5.
Wales, France and Papua New Guinea having more than 5
England having all bar approx 5 aus based players.
Australia having all domestic.

deal.with.it

Juniors
How big will the final world cup squads be? The number who actually travel to the UK?
For some reason 24 sticks out.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Re-reading the numbers i posted, it really shows the spread of the game and where nations will pick their players from. I think it would be great experience for a few domestic players to be in the traveling squad, but I'm not overly worried if they don't get a game. I'm not worried about the grandparent rule either. For me it's too things:
1) Players switching nations too much (should be a stand-down period and no "change nations once in each world cup cycle").
2) Nations not organising enough matches to satisfy their professional players.

Clarke

Juniors
Scotland have no realistic chance of winning their group?

I think they have more than a 50% chance of winning their group. They take on debutante Italy and then are 50/50 chance to beat Tonga.

hutch

First Grade
Id say Fiji. Players such as sisa waqa and korabete from the tigers are Fijian domestic products signed by nrl clubs. They would still count as domestic players under the old quota. They will have quite a few local players and players spending the year at clubs in country areas in Australia trying out for their squad.

Diesel

Referee
France or US. There's a lot of Islanders playing in the ESL, NRL or lower grades

Latest posts