What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which ex-WT players have kicked on after being released?

Tigerm

First Grade
Not talking about players who quit (Moses) the NRL team, but players who have left and improved themselves?
I don’t think they have got too many wrong?

Koroibete, JAC come to mind?

I think Teddy signed with Easts, while we had an offer on the table.
I don’t think Papenhuyzen ever got to the NRL with us, did he? And he left because of Teddy?

Any others?

Vic Mackey

Referee
We havent let a single player go since JAC who would have improved our team. This time last year everyone was saying Kelma Tuilagi would be a massive loss. He was horrible at Manly and has already been released by them.

The best we've genuinely let go since 2016 was probably Ryan Matterson, however Luc Leuilua was very good as a replacement and I dont think Matterson has had a better year for Parra then he did for us in 2019.

Papenhuyzen was a tough one, he left before Teddy signed with Easts and I doubt he goes as well for us as he does at the Storm.

TroyJax

Juniors
Weve had a lot of players let go who managed to make it work at other clubs and went on to play grand finals.
Make of that what you will

TroyJax

Juniors
This is just the past 11 years....

2013 - Luke O’Donnell Premier @ Roosters
2013 - David Gower Runner Up @ Manly
2014 - Lote Tuqiri Premier @ Souths
2014 - Ben Teo Premier @ Souths
2014 - Mitch Brown Runner Up @ Canterbury
2015 - Adam Blair Runner Up @ Brisbane
2016 - Andrew Fifita Premier @ Cronulla
2016 - Chris Heighington Premier @ Cronulla
2016 - Marika Koroibete Runner Up @ Melbourne
2017 - Josh Addo-Carr Premier @ Melbourne
2017 - Te Marie Martin Runner Up @ Cowboys
2018 - James Tedesco Premier @ Roosters
2018 - Josh Addo-Carr Runner Up @ Melbourne
2019 - James Tedesco Premier @ Roosters
2020 - Ryan Papenhyuzen Premier @ Melbourne
2020 - Josh Addo-Carr Premier @ Melbourne
2021 - Paul Momorovski Premier @ Penrith
2021 - Junior Tatola Runner Up @ Souths
2021 - Benji Marshall Runner Up @ Souths
2022 - Mitchel Moses Runner Up @ Parramatta
2022 - Ryan Matterson Runner Up @ Parramatta
2022 - Nathan Brown Runner Up @ Parramatta
2023 - Luke Garner Premier @ Penrith
2023 - Tyrone Peachey Premier @ Penrith
2023 - Billy Walters Runner Up @ Brisbane

gordsy

Juniors
Even Paps wasn't highly regarded by Melbourne. He was the last guy on roster that could play fullback and it was luck that he killed it. He is the nrl version of Brock Purdy for those who follow the NFL

Nutz

Bench
L

I remember melb shopping Paps around & it was a stroke of luck that he remained there.
I think storm are still wanting to offload him. Do we go for him.
His two tragic injuries weren't like two ACLs.
A ruptured kneecap and ankle isn't something that could reoccur.
He is a gun when in full flight....however we already have a gun fulback.

Tigerm

First Grade
I think storm are still wanting to offload him. Do we go for him.
His two tragic injuries weren't like two ACLs.
A ruptured kneecap and ankle isn't something that could reoccur.
He is a gun when in full flight....however we already have a gun fulback.
Yeah, pass now. They want to get rid of him, because they don't know when he will be back, I thought?

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Even Paps wasn't highly regarded by Melbourne. He was the last guy on roster that could play fullback and it was luck that he killed it. He is the nrl version of Brock Purdy for those who follow the NFL

I still dont think he would have kicked on if he stayed here. In 2016 we had a pretty gun NYC side and he played centre/wing, looked very good. Then in 17 he got moved to fullback, we had a dud side and he was terrible, also got injured a lot. He took 18 months to establish himself in the side surrounded by superstars. If he stayed with us he would likely have been thrown into first grade early in 2018, got rag dolled and injured consistently. I like Paps, seems a great guy whos due some luck, however to me he seems to me like the type of guy who looks good in a good team yet would struggle in an ordinary one.

BrotherJim05

Bench
JAC was the last blunder we made in terms of letting a player go (that we could have kept) that went on to bigger and better things. Matterson and Moses are just complete cats. They bailed on us when they were needed so I don't count them as "we let them go".

You could make a case for Luciano, but we got Papali'i in return. Plus he had his off field drama so we kind of dodged a bullet there.

Everyone else after JAC only "kicked on" because they got lucky signing on to a brilliant team.

Nutz

Bench
JAC was the last blunder we made in terms of letting a player go (that we could have kept) that went on to bigger and better things. Matterson and Moses are just complete cats. They bailed on us when they were needed so I don't count them as "we let them go".

You could make a case for Luciano, but we got Papali'i in return. Plus he had his off field drama so we kind of dodged a bullet there.

Everyone else after JAC only "kicked on" because they got lucky signing on to a brilliant team.
Matterson not only deserted us but he publicly ridiculed us.
Whilst we paid his handsome wage he left us as if we were axe murderers.
Regardless of WT deficiencies he should have had more respect for us supporters.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Matterson not only deserted us but he publicly ridiculed us.
Whilst we paid his handsome wage he left us as if we were axe murderers.
Regardless of WT deficiencies he should have had more respect for us supporters.
How the greedy selfish ingrate got away with serving a suspension by missing critical matches instead of paying a measly fine defies belief.The shitbag should’ve been hauled over the coals & humiliated by Parras spineless hierarchy for opting for 1 of the most selfish things a dickheaded overpaid player has ever done.