What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which guitar should I buy?

Look first.

• Les Paul

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Explorer

• KH Eclipse

• KH Sig

• Other

• Total voters

hrundi99

First Grade
Ron Jeremy said:
Rickenbackers look like crap IMO!!.....if i wanted to play like Lennon or Mc Cartney i'd buy one!!.

IMO Fenders are overated with the Ibenez the most complete guitar there is.

I like Gibson's aswell....however i was playing one once and for a fast pick tapping sequence it didn't provide much.

The guitar does have to appeal if you wan't t o buy.

See again our differences are confirmed.

To me, Ibanez's are only good for hard rock/metal try-hards (they may be technically good but musically they're boring). Oh hi Ron!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
hrundi99 said:
Ron Jeremy said:
Rickenbackers look like crap IMO!!.....if i wanted to play like Lennon or Mc Cartney i'd buy one!!.

IMO Fenders are overated with the Ibenez the most complete guitar there is.

I like Gibson's aswell....however i was playing one once and for a fast pick tapping sequence it didn't provide much.

The guitar does have to appeal if you wan't t o buy.

See again our differences are confirmed.

To me, Ibanez's are only good for hard rock/metal try-hards (they may be technically good but musically they're boring). Oh hi Ron!

:lol: :lol:

Oh God where like Bill & Tony Grieg :lol: :lol:

I honestly reckon that an Ibenez offers everything where as a Fender is more for the rythem side of things, the Fender doesn't seem to have the same sustain as an Ibenez & believe me i was playing "Walking on the moon " the other day on th eIbanez and it sounded magnificent.

hrundi99

First Grade
See my favourite bands are The Beatles, The Byrds, Big Star, Badfinger, The Raspberries, and their modern counterparts such as Matthew Sweet, Teenage Fanclub, Velvet Crush, Sloan, The Posies, etc.

This is the musical place where I come from.

(I also have Zeppelin, AC-DC and KISS albums, etc., but they're a variation on a theme).

We are moving in different circles methinks.

Have a pleasant evening. :mrgreen:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Beatles are good though....that's where a Rickenbacker would be handy!! as for Kiss??....dunno what Ace use's??

Evilgrowler

First Grade
Fenders are very fine guitars. Telecasters tend to dig into the bottom of the rib cage. The Stratacaster is a sensational axe. However it doesn't allow for the ballsy sound that you can get out of a Les paul. The best rock guitar on the market IMHO.

But the Strat is a class act all the way. Ibanez is a funny one. Make great copies and some of their original designs like the Iceman were awesome. I find them a hit or miss brand. Washburn. Anything good about a guitar, Washburn don't have. Unless you are partial to the AV 20.

DMC, I had a Flying V in the Vantage range. Not bad for a cheapie. And they look really nice to. A good source for second hand guitars is Cash Converters. I must have bought 50 from them while we were in Perth. Occassionally you'll come across a bargain in a Gibson or a Fender.

How does this look?

http://www.venuemusic.com.au/Products.asp?ProdID=745

I don't like the pick-ups. But that's easily fixed.

I don't mind the look of a strat, but the sound doesn't do too much for me. It just doesn't seem right to me. Ibanez might make for a crunchy sound on power chords... but other than that they've got nothing. I want something for faster songs, solos, power chords etc etc.

And to Twizzle, I will be getting a feel for every option before I buy. I guess this thread was just to get some more ideas as well as reviews and references.

Muffdaddy

Juniors
If you find something thats comfortable on and has a nice neck, you can always change the pick ups.
Buying a guitar is a real personal decision, as I'm sure you know. My first guitar was an Ibanez. I loved it. I ended up having 5 of them. I bought 3 of them in the US.(Guitar Centre LA and San Fran). That was when I was into Steve Vai and Joe Satchmeundies, but then I started changing my tastes a little bit and got into strats and teles. Still got one Ibanez though. Brings back some great memories.
For recording I use my mates Rickies, Gretchs and Les Pauls as well as my own. I'm just lucky he's cashed up and got a great variety of guitars for me to choose from. :D

One other thing, when choosing your guitar, if you can, take your own amps in to the shop and play the guitar through them. It may change the whole sound and make your mind up either way.
Good luck. Make sure you post a picture of your new axe.

I will post a pic of it. But it's probably a while off from getting just yet. I want an amp first and I've just been spending money on a holiday, so I'm not in a position for my girl to just say "spend money" right now. I'll hold out till I get a good price on a mesa boogie if I can.

Muffdaddy

Juniors
Boogies are the way to go man!!!
I've got Tri-Axis pre-amp and a Simul 395 power amp.
Plenty of power :twisted:
But plenty of money replacing the tubes/valves :(
Ive got 18 in my rig :shock:

Its worth saving your bickies though because they are definitely worth it. I've had mine for around 9 years and haven't gotten sick of it. There are so many combos of sounds to keep you busy.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Its amazing how many of you guys are talking up Ibanez.

I worked in a music shop (Nicholsons) in George St when I first left school, late 60s. I don't think it is there any more.

We had sound proof booths and customes could come in a play any guitar they wanted, most did'nt buy anything, just wanted to jam on a Les Paul in thier lunch hour.

Ibanez were the cheapest crap that we had and couldn't give them away.

40 years later, they are used by alot of famous musos. They have come along way since then.

I have 3 guitars and one is an old Ibanez, worth about $500 second hand, and I paid about $150 for it 20 years ago.

Samwise

Bench
I vote this one, it can do everything. And its a classic, the box even says so

B00009YNH3.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen them at Dick Smiths, boy are they crap.

They are about 2 foot long.

Evilgrowler

First Grade
No DMC, they'd only feel sorry for the recipient.

Wish I'd kept me old Ibanez SG. Also had an Ibanez Les Paul copy. White with black trim. :(