What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Jim Beam Cup team do you support?

Who are you supporting in 2006?

• Total voters

girvie

Staff member
Who do you support in Jim Beam Cup and why?

How many Jim Beam Cup games did you watch in 2005?

How many Jim Beam Cup games are you planning to attend in 2006?

mono_mal

Juniors
I support Newtown Jets in the Jim Beam Cup now following the demise of the Guildford Owls who played in the inaugural competition before pulling out due to 'financial difficulties'. My interest is more in the competition than any particular team though these days.

I wouldve attended only around 5 Jim Beam Cup games in 2005, coaching and playing committments prevented me attending any more.

Im hoping to attend a lot more games this year, I should finally have my p's before the season starts making it easier to acess games and as Im no longer playing I should have more free time on weekends.

Heres hoping the standard of the comp increases again in 06 and no teams are to pull out during the year. A successful season would help attract potential clubs.

girvie

Staff member
I support Asquith.

Unfortunately i didn't see any matches in 2005. Asquith did play 1 home match at North Sydney Oval but i was overseas and missed it. Hopefully they play two or three home matches at North Sydney Oval next year which i would definitely watch and hopefully i will be able to go to 1 or 2 matches at Storey Park.

rowdy

First Grade
I've put cabramatta, but i also support wenty - 2 local teams, and probably because parra lower grades play at the oval before some of the games. I only got to see one game last year, but there's something about jim beam cup i like, so hopefully i'll get to some more.

Daza_06

Juniors
Belrose are my local team. They have had a few ex norths players play for them over the last few years being one of the reasons to watch them. i got to see around 5 games last year and hope to see a few more this year

eelaholic

First Grade
I too would have to say I would follow guildford, especially since I am hoping to play for their womens team this year if they can get a team entered

I only went to 2 JB cup games this year, 1 being cabra vs bulls and the other being the grandfinal. Funnily enough I actually went to the game out out bass hill to watch the womens teams of canly vale (who I almost did play for except for their already full roster) vs bulls

brook

First Grade
Well I chose Newtown but I can't say I REALLY support anyone

I used to support Ryde-Eastwood but with them gone I've always got a soft spot for Newtown and also the two central coast teams

Have a totally irrational dislike of the Bulls for no real reason at all

NikkiShark

Juniors
Who do you support in Jim Beam Cup and why?
Erina Eagles, because one of my friends played a few games for them in 2005

How many Jim Beam Cup games did you watch in 2005?
I watched 4.

How many Jim Beam Cup games are you planning to attend in 2006?
Not sure yet.

EDIT- I also like the Jets, but didn't see any of their games in 2005

Nikki

Coach
I dont really have a said team in the Jim Beam Cup. Usually I follow the team that any of the ex parra boys end up playing for. But if you really put me on the spot, I guess I would have to say Wenty coz they are local. And they have the Capovilla boys.

girvie

Staff member
brook said:
Have a totally irrational dislike of the Bulls for no real reason at all
Henson Park Hornets said:
You are not on your own there! I can't stand 'em, they are a cancer on the JBC.
I don't like them because they call themselves Sydney. They should be named after the local area they represent IMO. Asquith, Wentworthville, Newtown, Cabramatta, Belrose and Windsor are also in Sydney. I also don't like the Roosters calling themselves Sydney.

Imagine if Asquith and Wentworthville both called themselves Sydney. Sydney Magpies vs. Sydney Magpies.

choc_soldier

Coach
Wenty Magpies. My suburb of residence. Nil last year, but I only live 5 minutes drive from Ringrose, so that is really no excuse... will try to catch at least one this year (time permitting).

ozpower

Juniors
Who do you support in Jim Beam Cup and why? Asquith, well im a local (live at Hornsby) plus i enjoy the Asquith Leagues Club

How many Jim Beam Cup games did you watch in 2005? Went to Storey Park 3 times

How many Jim Beam Cup games are you planning to attend in 2006? As many as spare time will allow.

Each Metro Cup/JBC team I've supported over my years of following League always seems to drop out of the competition! I originally followed Ryde-Eastwood Hawks (they had a number of ex-Eels in the side including the L'Estrange brothers, Colum Halpenny and [I think] Ray Mercy) and went to a number of their games including one incredibly cold night at Henson Park versus Bondi Roosters (the Easts feeder team at the time). I also supported Kellyville Bushrangers probably because they were the Eels feeder team. I've been to two Metro Cup grand finals (when they were stand-alone games) including the Kellyville v Wenty grand final in 1998 at Parramatta Stadium (with a crowd of 6,000) which was a brilliant match with Trevor Schodel (and, I think, the Capovilla brothers - or were they playing for the Bushrangers?) winning the match for Wenty.

Obviously, Kellyville abandoned Senior League (they are a Junior club only now?) and Ryde-Eastwood is no more at this level.
Living in the Eastern Suburbs now I'm hoping to see Newtown at Henson Park a few times (PL and JBC) in 2006.

Oh, also - what happened to Woy Woy Roosters (I'll have to update my wikipedia entry on the Jim Beam Cup now)? The Central Coast teams are dropping like flies - does anyone know why the CC sides are having trouble staying in the comp...?

Obviously, keeping a team at this level is expensive for any Club (I understand that Ryde-Eastwood spent around $200k per season on their Metro Cup and JBC sides) so was it just money woes or just lack of interest in the concept of a state-wide 'third division'?