What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which players didn't become superstars straight away?

lucablight

First Grade
I was just curious as to which stars didn't become superstars straight away. By this I mean either

a.) They weren't really standouts in the lower grades but when they came to first grade they excelled in their position

and/or

b.) They played first grade for a few years and didn't dominate the scene straight away and then exploded.

Although he's not a superstar just yet I would think that Ben Smith from the Eels didn't dominate in the lower grades but when given his chance in first grade earned a couple of man of the match performances.

On players who played in the NRL but didn't dominate straight away until they exploded I would say Dean Widders and Anthony Watmough come into this category. However I believe Dean Widders excelled in the SG ball.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm pretty sure Paul McGregor was a very late bloomer, didn't make his first grade debut until he was 24 and played represanative football about 2 years later. I think.

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Anthony Watmough - He was dropped from the SG Ball side once i think, and came into the top grade a few years ago and has improved ever since.

yobbo84

Coach
John Sutton was nothing special in the lower grades, but has excelled in firsts. There are a lot of players like this though.. they give a lot more effort in first grade for one reason or another.

Someone else that comes to mind is Ben Creagh. He was deadset average his first year (half-year whatever) in first grade.

lucablight

First Grade
yobbo84 said:
John Sutton was nothing special in the lower grades, but has excelled in firsts. There are a lot of players like this though.. they give a lot more effort in first grade for one reason or another.

Someone else that comes to mind is Ben Creagh. He was deadset average his first year (half-year whatever) in first grade.

I heard Bob Fulton say that Sonny Bill Williams and John Sutton both dominated the lower grade comp they were in.

yobbo84

Coach
lucablight said:
I heard Bob Fulton say that Sonny Bill Williams and John Sutton both dominated the lower grade comp they were in.

Then Bob Fulton is wrong. Sutton was in our Flegg side, but got dropped back to A Grade, only to make his way back to Flegg and then Premiers. He always looked like he had class.. showed great ball skills.. but hardly dominated.

On the other hand, SBW and Manase Manuokafoa used to clash regularly in the lower grades - Flegg especially. They were both bigger than a lot of the kids and used to have great clashes. Manase always stood out in Flegg IMO, but has had less of an impact in first grade.

Smartman

Juniors
aids said:
Willie Tonga?

He was highly regarded when playing in Parras lower grades but Brian Smith didnt give him enough opportunities.

Now hes a Bulldog gun
icon6.gif

Stagger eel

Staff member
Smartman said:
He was highly regarded when playing in Parras lower grades but Brian Smith didnt give him enough opportunities.

Now hes a Bulldog gun
icon6.gif

Anthony Minichello was a Canterbury junior himself, wasn't he???..he's know a gun at the roosters.

Smartman

Juniors
eelavation said:
Anthony Minichello was a Canterbury junior himself, wasn't he???..he's know a gun at the roosters.

Muppet show was never part of the Canterbury club.

ucantseeme

Juniors
Scott Sattler

He was a nifnuf until THAT tackle, now he is a footy legend more famous than his dad.

Stagger eel

Staff member
ucantseeme said:
Scott Sattler

He was a nifnuf until THAT tackle, now he is a footy legend more famous than his dad.

harsh!..he's definetly not a world beater but he was good solid first grader who constantly shined in losing sides for most of his career.

sooperdooper

First Grade
lucablight said:
I was just curious as to which stars didn't become superstars straight away. By this I mean either

a.) They weren't really standouts in the lower grades but when they came to first grade they excelled in their position

and/or

b.) They played first grade for a few years and didn't dominate the scene straight away and then exploded.

Although he's not a superstar just yet I would think that Ben Smith from the Eels didn't dominate in the lower grades but when given his chance in first grade earned a couple of man of the match performances.

On players who played in the NRL but didn't dominate straight away until they exploded I would say Dean Widders and Anthony Watmough come into this category. However I believe Dean Widders excelled in the SG ball.

i strongly disagree with the ben smith comment, being an eels supporter. watching lower grades last yr before he debut he was dominent along with another eel named feleti mateo

knights04

Bench
Definately harsh. Sattler was easily one of the best players for the Gold Coast when he played. Gave good service also to Penrith, Tigers regardless of his brilliant tackle.

Latest posts