What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which players didn't become superstars straight away?

Paullyboy

Coach
I think Matt King is close to the perfect nomination, I remember watching him running round for Norths with that big afro last year I think it was thinking he might come good one day. I didnt think it would be quite so quickly or quite so good though.

Schif is also a very good one, he was ordinary at the crushers, and my only memory of him at the eels was when he single handedly gave the Raiders the game when he had an absolute shocker - (I guess he always knew where he wanted to be) - and now he's turned into probably the best raider.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Paullyboy said:
I think Matt King is close to the perfect nomination, I remember watching him running round for Norths with that big afro last year I think it was thinking he might come good one day. I didnt think it would be quite so quickly or quite so good though.

Schif is also a very good one, he was ordinary at the crushers, and my only memory of him at the eels was when he single handedly gave the Raiders the game when he had an absolute shocker - (I guess he always knew where he wanted to be) - and now he's turned into probably the best raider.

Clinton was an excellent fullback at Parramatta and improved his game under Smith in 98-99!!...he struggled to make firstgrade in 2000 due to Brett Hodgson being there in and wasn't happy to be shafted out on the wing thus leaving the club.

Paullyboy

Coach
Have to disagree with that, Ruben Wiki was probably at his best in 94/95 when he was in the centres. There was no more damaging centre in attack or defence (particularly in defence) than Ruben Wiki in his prime.

Ah the 94 season Mal and Wiki - what a centre pairing.

dubby

Bench
I agree Paully, but I think he contributed more with his leadership and inspiration when he moved to the pack. Was the heart and soul of our team for years..

Stagger eel

Staff member
Raider_69 said:
Fair dinkum, the single hardest, toughest centres pairing ive ever seen!!

I agree, probably the closest to rival that would be the chris Mortimer/Andrew Farrer pairing.

Mr Saab

Referee
Bring back John Fifita said:
Kevin "Baseball-head" Campion.

Pretty much unheralded until he came to Saints in 96, and became a real enforcer in his later years.

there is a funny story with him and colin ward in 1996. They were driving into the city (sydney) and campion said to ward that he cant go the automatic toll booths as he was driving a manual!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Charlie Saab said:
there is a funny story with him and colin ward in 1996. They were driving into the city (sydney) and campion said to ward that he cant go the automatic toll booths as he was driving a manual!

nearly as good as Luke Lewis being set up by his teammates to ask for an application form for for the "high mile club" at an airport.

Green Machine

First Grade
Gavin Miller. He started in the 70’s, represented NSW in 1983, spent years in England and was at his best in 1988-89. I think he debuted for Australia in 1988.

Terry Leabeater played a lot of years of grade at Wests and played in Parramatta’s 1986 Grand Final Team.

John Ferguson. Came to Sydney from Grafton to play with Newtown in the early 80’s. He past 25 years old then. No one knew how old he was when he retired in 1990.

Peter Tunks toiled away for years with Souths, and was never anything more than tradesmanlike. Joins Canterbury and becomes one of the three leading props in the game -- and earns an Australian jersey.

John Ribot. Very patchy backrower for Newtown. Joins Wests and Roy Masters moves him to the wing (we all thought he was mad!) where he becomes a sensation and goes on to play for Australia.

Latest posts