What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which tackle was worse?

Which tackle was worse?

• Utai

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Newton

Votes: 34 47.2%

• Total voters

fourplay

Juniors
Anyone who says Utai's is worse either just hates the bulldogs or has no clue..

I've been hightackled with a swinging arm and it can be compared to a punch to the head.. no permanent damage, a bit of dizzyness most likely. Worse scenario is a broken jaw.

I've been spear tackled once and I felt my whole spine compress it was the scariest thing I've ever felt. My neck now also has some left over scar tissue in there which I'm glad doesnt hinder performance. It could EASILY snap someones neck and cause permanent damage. 1 week is such a joke. I honestly don't think the judicary realise the seriousness of spear tackles and how easily they can severly injure someones neck.

I'd rather get high tackled 10 times around the chin than spear tackled as I know I'll atleast be guarenteed recovery.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Newton was lucky not to get sent off in my opinion, terrible tackle that could easily caused a very serious injury.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Fair go Ultra, it was not a very good looking tackle by any stretch of the imagination, but a send off would have been an absolute joke and just typified the performance from Russell Smith on the night. The more I see the tackle, the more I'm willing to admit that he did get off a little lightly, but then again, after his tackle last year in which he got sent off and the suspension he got for that which was a joke,(the grading was originally worse than Danny Williams' king hit,but Clint's good record was taken into account) maybe it was just an even up........

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Thunderstruck said:
Clint's good record? :lol: Didn't he get 11 weeks for smashing Ashton Simms' jaw last year?
And exactly how many other times has he been in trouble with the NRL previous to that tackle??? :arrow:

shadow grinder

First Grade
Dodger said:
Wow, what a convincing argument.

oh i was sposed to put up an arguement? i was just giving my thoughts on which was worse,

it was mentioned on the sunday footy show i think...that the amount of force used to break a persons jaw has got to be pretty big. so for cooper to come out of it with a broken or suspected broken jaw that tells me that utai hit him with a fair amount of force...straight on the chin. Its a high tackle...he deserves what he gets for it.

the newton tackle (is that the dangerous lifting one?) he had tackeld the player around the chest or stomach area and was trying to pull the player down...when the other player lifted his legs thats when the player landed on his face.

shadow grinder

First Grade
fourplay said:
Anyone who says Utai's is worse either just hates the bulldogs or has no clue..

I've been hightackled with a swinging arm and it can be compared to a punch to the head.. no permanent damage, a bit of dizzyness most likely. Worse scenario is a broken jaw.

I've been spear tackled once and I felt my whole spine compress it was the scariest thing I've ever felt. My neck now also has some left over scar tissue in there which I'm glad doesnt hinder performance. It could EASILY snap someones neck and cause permanent damage. 1 week is such a joke. I honestly don't think the judicary realise the seriousness of spear tackles and how easily they can severly injure someones neck.

I'd rather get high tackled 10 times around the chin than spear tackled as I know I'll atleast be guarenteed recovery.

there you go talking about "IF" he had been injured. Cooper WAS injured.

You dont get in as much trouble for ALMOST shooting someone then you would FOR shooting someone.

Raider Ultra

Bench
The thing that got me about the tackle, the player had all but been wrapped up, and Newton has gone behind him, lifted between the legs, and dropped him on his head.

fourplay

Juniors
If you barely punish someone for pointing a gun at someone trying to kill them..people keep doing it.. eventually someone will get shot.

This is using your analogy. It has to be wiped out altogether.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
shadow grinder said:
there you go talking about "IF" he had been injured. Cooper WAS injured.

You dont get in as much trouble for ALMOST shooting someone then you would FOR shooting someone.

No you tool, it was discovered that it was nothing more than a bump on the chin. Broken jaw my ass!

Dropping on the head is ILLEGAL and Newton DID IT.
Hitting someone around the neck is also ILLEGAL and Utai DID IT.

As a result I believe both should have recieve 2-3 weeks minimum, but it seems both will only get 1 week.

shadow grinder

First Grade
i gota apologise regarding the newton tackle..i thought newton was the guy around the chest (smith as it turned out was the player) ...but i still stand by what i said regarding utai.

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
and i thought the NRL will get tough on the spear tackles after the Jarrod McCracken incident in 2000...

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Jobdog said:
Neither were good, surprised at the amount of time either player will get for their troubles. Clint will get one week if he enteres an early plea because of carry over points from his previous offence. If they go down there and fight it and beat it, then good luck to them, that means he can give Terry a spray on Sunday arvo, or even better, just let his footy do the talking. It would be great to see Clint run over the top of Terry if he beats the charge.

The more interesting battle will be when Kylie Leuluai drops that cat Perry like a bag of dirt.

aqua_duck

Coach
ozzy_ozman said:
and i thought the NRL will get tough on the spear tackles after the Jarrod McCracken incident in 2000...
I thought it would've been obvious to you that they weren't after the Webcke incident.

Latest posts