What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which team has the fastest halves pairing in the comp???

simon says

First Grade
Just a question.....there are plenty of good players in the 6/7,but not all of them are fast,and very few have a very fast 6 and 7.

Johnsie is the best,but not fast.

Barrett and Head arent bad...

Lockyer is fast,but Seymour???

Orford and Hill were top shelf but neither really fast.

Penrith have Cambell who is fast,but Gower....I dunno.

The fastest half pairing without a doubt is the Premiers pairing of Prince and Marshall.....both can go the whole way and both are extrememly quick....one of the reasons why we won the comp,both of these guys once they cut the line can go to the try line easy.

Agree????

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Prince and Marshall would have to be the quickest if not close to it

Thurston/Firman and Lockyer/Seymour wouldn't be far behind them

Eddie.

Bench
28 tries between them says it all really
Was any other halves pairing close to getting that amount?

simon says

First Grade
You would have to say that Bunji is one of the real pacemen in the comp.....I havent seen anyone come close to getting him,maybe Stewart frorm Manly.Aside from him every time Bunji has cut through no one has gone close.

I just watched a vid of all the tries that Bunji is involved in and he really does have a clean pair of heels.Very handy player IMO.

Kiwi

First Grade
Marshall and Prince would be the quickest, closely followed by Lockyer and Seymour. Gower and Campbell would have been in the mix if Gower was as quick as he use to be.

The thing that sets Marshall and Prince apart from all the others is their speed off the mark. I would say in full flight Lockyer and Seymour could match them, but not when it comes to speed off the mark.

wildmooka

Juniors
In terms of speed, Barrett and Head are pretty good. Two examples where each showed their individual pace were Head in R1 v Bulldogs-90m intercept effort, really stunned me how quick he was. When Barrett stood up Hunt at Suncorp, that was probably the most he has stretched in a couple of years, in did it easy.

I'm off the subject...Prince & Marshall, but only just.

Danish

Referee
wildmooka said:
In terms of speed, Barrett and Head are pretty good. Two examples where each showed their individual pace were Head in R1 v Bulldogs-90m intercept effort, really stunned me how quick he was. When Barrett stood up Hunt at Suncorp, that was probably the most he has stretched in a couple of years, in did it easy.

I'm off the subject...Prince & Marshall, but only just.

An intercept automatically gives you a good solid 8-10m headstart by the time your opposition turns to chase you......... and no one would ever call the bulldogs backline fast (slowest in the league actually).

And Barrett standing up Hunt was more a show of bad fullback positioning tan anything else. Hunt never had a chance once he decided to stand still and let barrett take his pick of what to do.

Marshall and Prince by a mile IMO. But give Benji a few more years in the 6 and he'll slow up. Just like lockyer did once he made the move to 5/8.

simon says

First Grade
Kiwi said:
Marshall and Prince would be the quickest, closely followed by Lockyer and Seymour. Gower and Campbell would have been in the mix if Gower was as quick as he use to be.

The thing that sets Marshall and Prince apart from all the others is their speed off the mark. I would say in full flight Lockyer and Seymour could match them, but not when it comes to speed off the mark.

If ya saw the Broncos v Tigers final you wouldnt say that.Bunji burnt both Seymour and Lockyer off big time.They both had the jump on him and got roasted,Lockyer gave up after 30 metres.

Bunji can go the full 100 metres top notch.

colonel_123

Juniors
Danish said:
But give Benji a few more years in the 6 and he'll slow up. Just like lockyer did once he made the move to 5/8.

He'll slow up a bit when he bulks up. Sheens has stated that Marshall's eventual playing weight will be around 90 kg.

sooperdooper

First Grade
ok benji is fast, has quick accelartion but he is not the fastest player in the comp by all means.
fast 5.8 yes.

prince does not to bad for speed. as a pairing would have the quickest accellartion

simon says

First Grade
sooperdooper said:
ok benji is fast, has quick accelartion but he is not the fastest player in the comp by all means.
fast 5.8 yes.

prince does not to bad for speed. as a pairing would have the quickest accellartion

No one is saying he is the fastest in the comp,but he is the fastest 6,and he would be in the top 20 for pace.Top 5 over 30.

Not too many 6's have run the length of the field for a try,Bunji has done it plenty.

Kiwi

First Grade
simon says said:
If ya saw the Broncos v Tigers final you wouldnt say that.Bunji burnt both Seymour and Lockyer off big time.They both had the jump on him and got roasted,Lockyer gave up after 30 metres.

Bunji can go the full 100 metres top notch.

I did see the game, and remember Lockyer came back from a hamstring injury. Roles reveresed with Marshall just back from a doing a hamy and you can bet the same result will happen. Seymour isn't as quick as Marshall, but then neither is Prince. Lockyer was beaten yes, but the injury and Seymour between him and Benji gave him no chance really and he was hardly "burnt"

Oh and didn't they both have to turn and chase?

Plus you make it sound like I didn't say Marshall and Prince were the quickest, because they are.

wildmooka

Juniors
Danish said:
An intercept automatically gives you a good solid 8-10m headstart by the time your opposition turns to chase you......... and no one would ever call the bulldogs backline fast (slowest in the league actually).

And Barrett standing up Hunt was more a show of bad fullback positioning tan anything else. Hunt never had a chance once he decided to stand still and let barrett take his pick of what to do.

Marshall and Prince by a mile IMO. But give Benji a few more years in the 6 and he'll slow up. Just like lockyer did once he made the move to 5/8.

So you disagree then? I think you'll find that Head actually had to slow his momentum down as he initially juggled the ball when he took the intercept.

Agreed, Hunt made it easier for Barrett with his "Please don't run at me, Trent!" tactics, but he still had to outrun him all the same.