What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which teams Suffer from the One man Band

PINGU

Juniors
Sharks - Kimm

I tend to disagree, Kimmorley has done nothing without a decent pack of forwards.

Looks at his record at the Sea Eagles and the Sharks where the fowards are weak as. Think the Sharks would have finished any worse last year without Kimmorley?

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Disco said:
Helloooooooooooo

Parramatta for sure

They are rubbish without hindmarsh
I am trying to think of a comeback for you Disco. But I can't think of who Manly are rubbish without. Doesn't really matter if they are full strength or have players out. They are still a joke.

knights 2004

Juniors
the knights are impressing the hell out of me too, and im a bloody knight supporter. i knew they had it in them. i just didnt know how freaking long it was gona take to come out

OVP

Coach
Kiwi said:
All the teams have a player that they can't win a premiership without.

The Dragons can't win without Barrett, Storm without Orford, Panthers without Gower can't take the tittle either.

Bulldogs wouldn't win without Sherwin, whilst they have alot of stars, take the key player out, and you get over taken by teams that still have theirs.

Simple fact is teams, all teams have a key player, a player they base their attack around, when they lose that player for the season, they lose their best chance of winning the premiership. there is no set one man team anymore, they all have a player they could not win the tittle without.

I don't give a toss what anyone tries to say about their club, it's bullsh*t. I'm a Broncos fan, and I know without Lockyer our chances of winning the tittle are very slim, just like everyone elses if they lose their key play maker.

Kiwi's post here says it all for me ... every team has their key player, and none of them can win without them. All in all it all boils down to who is the healthiest on the field come finals time. Thats really the end of the story ... at this stage quite a few teams can win the thing, but noone can really narrow it down to one as yet. Thats what the finals are for, and bring em on :)

P.S. i have to disagree about Fittler being the Roosters key player anymore, i think we could cover him with Wing and still be as good. But if Wing wasnt there, either at hooker or 5/8 ... then we have buckleys IMO. Wing is the key to our attack and we are still in slow motion without him.

the player who handles the ball the most is your key player and all teams have this player and would struggle without them if they are out for a long period of time.

what coaches need to do is develop other players skills to be able to take on this role not only in case of injury but for times when the key player is targetted by the opposition defence.

melon....

Coach
Kiwi said:

The Dragons can't win without Barrett, Storm without Orford, Panthers without Gower can't take the tittle either.

Bulldogs wouldn't win without Sherwin, whilst they have alot of stars, take the key player out, and you get over taken by teams that still have theirs.

Simple fact is teams, all teams have a key player, a player they base their attack around, when they lose that player for the season, they lose their best chance of winning the premiership. there is no set one man team anymore, they all have a player they could not win the tittle without.

I don't give a toss what anyone tries to say about their club, it's bullsh*t. I'm a Broncos fan, and I know without Lockyer our chances of winning the tittle are very slim, just like everyone elses if they lose their key play maker.
The Gragoons cant win with another player...their best player...Luke Bailey. He leads and lifts their forwards. He should be their captain. They cant win without him.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
melon.... said:
Kiwi said:

The Gragoons cant win with another player...their best player...Luke Bailey. He leads and lifts their forwards. He should be their captain. They cant win without him.

We can win with our reserve grade sides if we wanted to mate.
Big difference between pride and Money :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kiwi

First Grade
Stgillaman said:
melon.... said:
Kiwi said:

Against another reserve grade side maybe.

Don't get all narky if this thread turns into a shit fight if your gonna make comments like that. This thread, one you started, was actually going along well, with constructive input by all, including Rooster fans, untill your last post.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Kiwi said:
Raider_69 said:
Im not sure about the raiders
Schif would go close to the player we cant do without but i think we could cover him and still win a fair share of games

I actually think the Raiders are the perfect example of a team with no play maker. They have players in the halves where ALL playmakers are and should be, that are sub standard in terms of consistancy or skill or both compared to the like of Lockyer, Gower ect. For this reason they struggle, sure they compete, but they have no chance of taking the title. Every other position is covered when the team is in form, but they lack the edge, the edge that the likes of Barrett, Lockyer, Johns, Orford, Sherwin, Gower, Kimmorley ect give their teams. take away these players and you have the Raiders, a strong team on paper in every position bar the ones that matter, the halves or play makers.

This isn't an attack at the Raiders either.

Your right but the Raiders when playing inform and to their game plan dont need a super playmaker like Orford, Gower etc
Our forward knock them and the likes of McLinden and Schifcofske create the oppertunity, Woolford out of hooker is also very creative

MacLinden can create but outside him and Woolford (on the rare occasion drew :lol: ) its up to individual brillience

St Gilla is also right Wiki is hard to cover because he is more than a player, he is an inpirational leader, when the team is down it will be him that fires us up but generally we could cover every spot on the feild with relative ease compaired to most teams

Kiwi

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
Kiwi said:
Raider_69 said:
Im not sure about the raiders
Schif would go close to the player we cant do without but i think we could cover him and still win a fair share of games

I actually think the Raiders are the perfect example of a team with no play maker. They have players in the halves where ALL playmakers are and should be, that are sub standard in terms of consistancy or skill or both compared to the like of Lockyer, Gower ect. For this reason they struggle, sure they compete, but they have no chance of taking the title. Every other position is covered when the team is in form, but they lack the edge, the edge that the likes of Barrett, Lockyer, Johns, Orford, Sherwin, Gower, Kimmorley ect give their teams. take away these players and you have the Raiders, a strong team on paper in every position bar the ones that matter, the halves or play makers.

This isn't an attack at the Raiders either.

Your right but the Raiders when playing inform and to their game plan dont need a super playmaker like Orford, Gower etc
Our forward knock them and the likes of McLinden and Schifcofske create the oppertunity, Woolford out of hooker is also very creative

MacLinden can create but outside him and Woolford (on the rare occasion drew :lol: ) its up to individual brillience

St Gilla is also right Wiki is hard to cover because he is more than a player, he is an inpirational leader, when the team is down it will be him that fires us up but generally we could cover every spot on the feild with relative ease compaired to most teams

To me the lack of that class play maker is the only thing stopping the Raiders from taking the title. They have like you say the ability when firing to win games, but the one final piece to the puzzle so to speak that they need to win more games and challenge for the premiership is the playmaker. If the Raiders had someone like Orford, they would be a real force.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Well me and other raiders fans have been very critical of the decision to retain drew while a player like Mick Monaghan left the club
I thought Mick Monnas would go along way to solving that problem
We also thought Terry Campeese would help there but he is more a lock forward rather than play maker, great kicking game thou, I would break world records if the raiders some hoe lured Mat Orford or simular but i just cant see it happening while we have some of the dead wood still around

I think we can win the premiership with our current squad but a real play maker would make it ALOT easier

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Maroubra Eel said:
Disco said:
Helloooooooooooo

Parramatta for sure

I am trying to think of a comeback for you Disco. But I can't think of who Manly are rubbish without. Doesn't really matter if they are full strength or have players out. They are still a joke.
Manly are like a brothel - The ain't worth sh*t without Beaver!

melon....

Coach
Stgillaman said:
melon.... said:
Kiwi said:

11-8.....we OWN you!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Booyah

Bench
Ours used to be Peachey. Our win percentage was something shocking. Very embarrasing actually.

Nowadays I'd say its Noddy whom we can't win without, but he hasn't missed a game this year and he was vital to our 'attack' style last year, so we would have missed him even more.

SpaceMonkey said:
Maroubra Eel said:
Disco said:
Helloooooooooooo

Parramatta for sure

Manly are like a brothel - The ain't worth sh*t without Beaver!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Kiwi said:

Thats yet another win without our number 1 halves. Thanks Browny for taking this team from a 1 man Band to a TEAM.

Kiwi

First Grade
Stgillaman said:
Kiwi said:

Thats yet another win without our number 1 halves. Thanks Browny for taking this team from a 1 man Band to a TEAM.

Against the sharks, like thats something to rave about, where are they on the table? You get all excited about one win over a team that'll finish in the very lower 2 or 3 places on the ladder. My opinion still stands, the Dragons are as much a 1 man team as any other. make all the excuses, claims you want, simple fact is they can't win the premiership without Barrett, get over it.

Knightmare

Coach
I'd always known that Newcastle weren't a one man band. Take just Joey out, and the Knights are still a chance. We have been very unlucky not to beat the table topping Roosters and Raiders the past fortnight, but when our squad returns to it's full strenght, I see no reason why Newcastle can't go all the way this year. Gidley is a rising star, mark my words. He has rep football written all over him.

[furrycat]

Coach
Of course a lot teams will lose without a star halfback... maybe because they do a lot of the kicking!

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Kiwi said:
Stgillaman said:
Kiwi said:

Against the sharks, like thats something to rave about, where are they on the table? You get all excited about one win over a team that'll finish in the very lower 2 or 3 places on the ladder. My opinion still stands, the Dragons are as much a 1 man team as any other. make all the excuses, claims you want, simple fact is they can't win the premiership without Barrett, get over it.

Kiwi, you dont have to get all defensive mate. All those people who claim we can not win without Barrett are wrong, and there are facts there to prove it.

Barrett missed all but 5 games last season, we won 12 for memory.
Barrett went off with 25 to go against the premiers, and we put 24 points on them in the last 20.
Barrett did not play last night, and we put 40 past the Sharks at Shark park, who were not playing badly mind you.
Give credit where credit is due Kiwi. THe dragons against the Panthers, Tigers, knights and sharks created enough opportunites to score 70 points without too much fuss.

Barrett or no barrett.

Against the Roosters we just lossed at Their home ground in unlucky circumstances again with no Barrett, Bailey, Ryles, Firman.
They are out top 4 players mate.
The 2 Go forward players and our Generals.
Sure thommo, Cooper, Kite, Hornby & co are very good footballers mate, but we have continually proved that excuses mean Zippo. These guys beat the Broncos, Roosters, bulldogs and panthers last year without these guys and more.

Nathan brown has turned a one man band into a TEAM, not individuals.

you can not deny that, and you can not deny the sharks were all that bad last night. Against most teams they would have scored 309 last night in that form.