What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who else loves the Commonwealth Games?

t-ba

Post Whore
If the Home Countries are allowed to field teams, Australia should be allowed to compete as states (The MANX have their own team...The MANX for christsakes...)

weasel said:
I was watching the women's basketball this morning and they mentioned that the sport will be featuring at the next Commonwealth Games. And after we mauled the two New Zealand sides in consecutive days I'd say that's another two golds to look forward to.

I can't wait for the men's basketball there. Canada may surprise the Aussies and Kiwis, if NBA stars Steve Nash and Jamaal Magliore play. It's about time they put basketball in the CWG.

PanthersChik

Juniors
I like the commonwealth games for the simple reason that the USA isnt in it. There is just something about that team that I dont like. Hmm maybe the fact that they think they are all absolute legends, and play on that fact. Sorry that is just my opinion. :evil:

PB

Bench
PanthersChik said:
.....There is just something about that team that I dont like. Hmm maybe the fact that they think they are all absolute legends, and play on that fact. Sorry that is just my opinion. :evil:

Kinda like Grant Hackett.... Sorry, but leave the top pulling off,chest pounding, muscle flexing antics for the upty Yanks!

And i think this could risk being the end of the Commonwealth games if/ when we plunder the medal tally.

Perhaps we should split into States. And England should merge with the rest of the brit's and be Great Britain as they do for the Olympics. It would be a good race for 6th on the Medal table then between Tasmania and Great Britain.... :D

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
t-ba the hutt said:
If the Home Countries are allowed to field teams, Australia should be allowed to compete as states (The MANX have their own team...The MANX for christsakes...)
It would actually be a big improvement if Australia (and possibly Canada as well) competed as states, the medal tallies would be far less of a foregonme conclusion and you'd get some tasty inter-state rivalries happenning.

Booyah

Bench
I don't mind the Commonwealth games. Any chance we get to towel the Poms is fine with me.

The states thing is an interesting concept actually. It would certainly make things more competitive, although you wouldn't really be able to have a 'Great Britain' side then would you? You'd have a Welsh side, an Irish side, a Scotish side and an English side.

Anonymous

Juniors
Booyah said:
I don't mind the Commonwealth games. Any chance we get to towel the Poms is fine with me.

The states thing is an interesting concept actually. It would certainly make things more competitive, although you wouldn't really be able to have a 'Great Britain' side then would you? You'd have a Welsh side, an Irish side, a Scotish side and an English side.

Ummm that's how it works now....Also the Isle of Man, Gurnsey and Jersey compete seperately!

Here's the final medal count from Manchester for those interested:

Tot.Medals Gold Silver Bronze

Australia 82 62 63 207
Bahamas 4 - 4 8
Bangladesh 1 - - 1
Barbados - - 1 1
Bermuda - - - -
Botswana - 2 1 3
Cameroon 9 1 2 12
Canada 31 41 44 116
Cayman Islands - - 1 1
Cook Islands - - - -
Cyprus 2 1 1 4
England 54 51 60 165
Fiji 1 1 1 3
Ghana - - 1 1
Gilbraltar - - - -
Guernsey - - - -
Guyana 1 - - 1
India 30 22 17 69
Isle of Man - - - -
Jamaica 4 6 7 17
Jersey - - - -
Kenya 4 8 4 16
Kiribati - - - -
Lesotho - - 1 1
Malawi - - - -
Malaysia 7 9 18 34
Malta - - 1 1
Mauritius - - 1 1
Mozambique 1 - - 1
Namibia 1 - 4 5
Nauru 2 5 8 15
New Zealand 11 13 21 45
Nigeria 5 3 11 19
Niue - - - -
Northern Ireland 2 2 1 5
Pakistan 1 3 4 8
Papua New Guinea - - - -
Samoa - 1 2 3
Scotland 6 8 16 30
Seychelles - - - -
Sierra Leone - - - -
Singapore 4 2 7 13
South Africa 9 20 17 46
Sri Lanka - - - -
St. Kitts 1 - - 1
St. Lucia - - 1 1
Swaziland - - - -
Tanzania 1 - 1 2
Tonga - - - -
Trinidad & Tobago - 1 - 1
Uganda - 2 - 2
Wales 6 13 12 31
Zambia 1 1 1 3
Zimbabwe 1 1 - 2

Glenn

First Grade
Hmmm I guess the only interest in the 2006 Commonwealth games from my viewpoint can Australia break the 100 gold barrier :shock:

t-ba

Post Whore
Norfolk Island already competes seperately...But seriously...what's next...The mighty Orkney Islanders fronting up?

Alan Shore

First Grade
Stop bagging the Commonwealth Games! The 2nd biggest world sporting competition is great - and it's in Melbourne 2006.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Timbo said:
Ummm that's how it works now....Also the Isle of Man, Gurnsey and Jersey compete seperately!
If thats the case Aussie and Canada should definitely compete as states.

NPK

Bench
Howcome England, Wales etc compete as separate countries in the Commonwealth games, but compete together as Great Britain in the Olympics???

Generalzod

Immortal
Commonwealth games what a waste of time.....
Olympics are the true games, none of this British empire sh*t..............

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
NPK said:
Howcome England, Wales etc compete as separate countries in the Commonwealth games, but compete together as Great Britain in the Olympics???
Probably you have to be a proper indepedent country to compete in the Olympics, and politically England, Wales etc are all part of the UK.
With the Commonwealth games it's their show so I gues they can do what they like! :?

Booyah

Bench
Ummm that's how it works now....Also the Isle of Man, Gurnsey and Jersey compete seperately

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.

I just assumed that since GB were a whole team in the Olympics, it would be the same story for the Commonwealth games.

Maybe they should all join up to be GB so they'd be more competitive, while all the Australian states spilt up.

Booyah

Bench
Ummm that's how it works now....Also the Isle of Man, Gurnsey and Jersey compete seperately

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.

I just assumed that since GB were a whole team in the Olympics, it would be the same story for the Commonwealth games.

Maybe they should all join up to be GB so they'd be more competitive, while all the Australian states spilt up.

SpaceMonkey said:
NPK said:
Probably you have to be a proper indepedent country to compete in the Olympics, and politically England, Wales etc are all part of the UK.
With the Commonwealth games it's their show so I gues they can do what they like! :?

I wonder why the home nations also compete separately in the soccer WC. Tradition I guess.

Is there a listing of the CWG medal tallies back through history? I'd like to see how long the Aussies have been so dominant. I suspect there may have been a time when Canada was second behind England in medals, but I'm not sure.

Latest posts