What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is mundine kidding?

ngap

Juniors
I only want to come back for this season, win the championship and then quit.

Mundine only keen on league this season
April 27, 2005 - 9:39PM

Boxer Anthony Mundine's rugby league comeback went from the improbable to the bizarre when he revealed his planned return to the game would be for this season only.

"I want to play this season only," Mundine told SBS television.

"Come back play 10, 12 games, that's including finals, and go to a team that's going to be a strong contender for a title.

"I'm really looking forward to doing that for my legacy. I need to win the title and then come back as a champion."

He was initially expected to return to rugby league after his May 11 world title bout with Denmark's Mikkel Kessler in Sydney.

However the WBA super middleweight title fight was postponed for up to two months after Kessler injured his back.

Mundine's manager Khoder Nasser said he hoped to reschedule the fight in the next 24 hours.

However the fight's postponement meant his return to league was also been put back.

Mundine has expressed an interest in returning to St George Illawarra, where he last played in 2000.

The club has shown some interest in having him back but it was not known how they felt about him playing for just the remainder of this season.

Mundine's latest comments drew instant condemnation from SBS rugby league analyst, former Test hooker Ben Elias.

"If any CEO out there that looks after an NRL club or any board of directors sign this bloke up ... they are dead-set kidding," Elias said.

Elias said Mundine had not even returned to rugby league and was already dictating terms to NRL clubs and questioned his commitment to making a comeback to the sport

"Stick to boxing my friend because you can't play for nine games and decide to play in a grand final," said Elias, who played in two grand finals for Balmain in the 1980s.

"You have to earn it and it's a team sport."

Dragons coach Nathan Brown said if Mundine returned he would not slip back into the five-eighth spot, the position he played before leaving to take up his boxing career.

Brown said Dragons skipper Trent Barrett had a mortgage on the five-eighth position.

"It's also a case of where Choc would like to play because obviously we've got Trent here, who's our captain," Brown said.

"That's again something you'd want to talk to Anthony about because if he dead-set thought he had to be playing five-eighth then that makes it a bit tough for us and would make it tough on some other clubs."

Meanwhile Mundine will travel to Auckland to support Kiwi boxer Shane Cameron in his IBF Australasian heavyweight title fight with Australian Colin Wilson on Friday night.

Mundine is also expected to commentate for New Zealand television at the fight.
smh

Hurriflatch

Referee
It's nothing more then yet another means for Mundane to get his name in the media and boost his already over inflated ego.

Never was any more.

Meanie

Juniors
Why would a premiership contending team want to sign a selfish distraction that late into the season?

Meanie said:
Why would a premiership contending team want to sign a selfish distraction that late into the season?

Its seems that the Roosters, Dragons and Warriors are looking at him.

Those teams have no chance of winning a premiership so its not an issue. :D

OVP

Coach
nospam49 said:
Meanie said:

The Roosters dont need Mundine to win a comp ... all we need to do is learn how to HOLD THE f**king BALL !!

And the dragons dont need him either ... give me Barrett and Head over a guy who hasnt played for 5 years either.

Only the Warriors would need him.

Hurriflatch

Referee
nospam49 said:
Meanie said:

If he only wants to play for a premiership contender then at the end of Mundine's career regardless of if he plays for 10 games or 10 year it will read

Games for Cronulla: 0

Broncodroid

Juniors
Crossing to Danny Weidler with an exclusive for CH9's 'Hey Hey It's Thurday...

Adam MacDougall is rumoured to be considering a deal where he will play 10-12 games per season with South Sydney on match payments whilst pursuing a career as a professional wrestler...he will be the missing member from the now retired 'Bush Whackers'.

Given MacDougall's 1 week in the side, 3 weeks out, this is a workable solution which will save Souths a bundle of money.

DISCLAIMER: This a load of BS from a bored member of LU, not the actions of a "rebel" rugby league forummer.

Hurriflatch said:
nospam49 said:
Meanie said:

If he only wants to play for a premiership contender then at the end of Mundine's career regardless of if he plays for 10 games or 10 year it will read

Thats a bit out of left feild.....you dont think Im a Sharks fan do you?

Hurriflatch

Referee
nospam49 said:
Hurriflatch said:
nospam49 said:
Meanie said:

Thats a bit out of left feild.....you dont think Im a Sharks fan do you?

Not really, just trying to get a certain couple of Sharks fans to bite.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
"If any CEO out there that looks after an NRL club or any board of directors sign this bloke up ... they are dead-set kidding," Elias said.

Are you listening Laurie, Nick or Mick? Surely this latest revelation from our all-conquering hero must put this ridiculous saga to bed.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
best he could hope for is a premmy league comp, but who wants him ?

RICHO

Juniors
Hurriflatch said:

I'd be proud to say that Mundine never played for the Sharks!!!!

**Points Hurryflatch to the NRL Competition Table**
:D

Noone will sign him now. Teams were looking at him when he was making a comeback, not a bullshit 10 game cameo. Hope you get knocked out when you next fight Mundine... bring on Danny Green!!!

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Mundine is a dead set joke. Right from the start I think just about all of us had a feeling this was never going to happen, he's under the impression that he's in control. He'd be lucky to get a go with ANY club under his BS conditions, let alone premiership contenders. He thinks he's the best player in the world, and I'm not a Lockyer fan but i'd love to see Lockyer make a fool of Mundine in a match-up of five-eighths.

What does this clown think he can acheive in 12 or so games? It would take nearly double that if not longer for him to get his old form back, and whether he can find it or not is another question entirely. He should never have even thought about a return, and definitely should not have taken it this far. I'd be shocked if he takes the field in a first grade match this year with any club.

RICHO

Juniors
That's irrelevant in this debate Jay. It was about Premiership contenders, and well, running 3rd on te ladder you'd think the Sharks have a shot.

While you are at it though mate, have a look at the Eels record of late. Especially under Coach Brian Smith. ;-)

But that's all beside the point. Mundine is stll a d!ck.

rabs

Staff member
after this episode he'd be lucky to get a club to take him on, if one does then kick em out of the comp