What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is the oldest NRL Club?

Hello all,

Souths, Easts, Newtown and the Tigers among other were all around in 1908.

Bur does anyone know, who the first club to be formed was and when?

Thanks

Bubbles

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Glebe was the first formed, but Newtown is the oldest Rugby League club.

In the NRL I think Easts/Sydney Roosters is the oldest.

_Johnsy

Referee
Here are the dates for all foundation clubs, via www.rl1908.com.au

Balmain Rugby League Club was born at a public meeting held at Balmain Town Hall in Darling Street, on January 23, 1908.

Cumberland, officially known as "Central Cumberland", were formed on the evening of April 20, 1908

Glebe was the first Rugby League club formed in Australia, having their inaugural meeting on January 9, 1908.

The League's Harry Hoyle travelled to Newcastle and spoke persuasively to a large gathering at Pike's Rooms (in Bolton Street) on the evening of February 8, 1908

The Newtown Rugby League Club was the second club formed under the NSWRL banner (14th January) - though some members of the club insist Newtown was first (8th January). All newspaper reports confirm the date as 14th January

North Sydney was formed as a foundation club of the newly arrived rugby league game in 1908 and were known as the Shoremen. Can't find a date.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs began in October 1907 when star Rugby Union hooker, Arthur Hennessy, covened a small gathering of locals who were supportive or directly involved in the creation of the new professional rugby game in Sydney.
The meeting was held in Hennessy's home (Chapman Street, Surry Hills) shortly after Baskerville's ‘All Blacks' had played the rebel NSW rugby team. The object was the formation of a Rugby League club in the South Sydney district. It was a humble beginning for what would soon become one of the world's greatest ever football clubs, of any code.
The first public meeting was held at a packed Redfern Town Hall on 17 January, 1908 where a vote to seek club registration with the NSWRL was endorsed ‘overwhelmingly'.

Easts were founded at a meeting held at Paddington Town Hall on January 24 1908

Almost every decade saw Wests hit with some decision of the game's administration that would see their ability to compete brought into serious examination. Even at the formation of the competition in 1908, the club missed out on some good footballers. No mention of a meeting etc.

Estoboy

Juniors
hmmm

according to that website, the first Balmain club was made up of all the players from the Balmain RU side which also wore Black and Gold... so Balmain has a history dating pre-1908!

wooo!

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Estoboy said:
hmmm

according to that website, the first Balmain club was made up of all the players from the Balmain RU side which also wore Black and Gold... so Balmain has a history dating pre-1908!

wooo!

I think you'll find that most clubs were formed under the same circumstances.

_Johnsy

Referee
Estoboy said:
hmmm

wooo!

Ummm no, pre 1908, they would have been the Balmain rugby union side, not the balmain rugby league side.

Joe Davola

Juniors
RL1908 said:
I did an article covering this question & listing all the founding dates from 1908 here:
http://www.RL1908.com/clubcomps/founding-clubs.htm

Newtown definitely held their inaugural meeting at Newtown Town Hall on 8 January 1908 at which a motion was carried "that a Newtown District Rugby Football League Club be now formed to affiliate with the N.S.W. Rugby Football League".
JJ Giltinan was present and addressed the meeting prior to the motion being put.

An election of officers was held at the meeting to form the Committee.

It was the Committee that met again on 14 January 1908 at Mrs Gee's Hotel, Stanmore Road ("Newington" Hotel).

RL1908

Bench
Joe Davola said:
Newtown definitely held their inaugural meeting at Newtown Town Hall on 8 January 1908 at which a motion was carried "that a Newtown District Rugby Football League Club be now formed to affiliate with the N.S.W. Rugby Football League".
JJ Giltinan was present and addressed the meeting prior to the motion being put.

An election of officers was held at the meeting to form the Committee.

It was the Committee that met again on 14 January 1908 at Mrs Gee's Hotel, Stanmore Road ("Newington" Hotel).

It is entirely up to the Newtown RLFC to decide what they want to celebrate or not.

However, I'll stand by the numerous newspaper reports that all refer to Tuesday Jan 14th 1908 and the Newtown Town Hall as the founding date and location.

There is a full transcript of the meeting from The Australian Star of Thursday Jan 16th 1908 in my book - Pioneers of Rugby League http://www.RL1908.com/Pioneers/index.htm - the opening paragraph of the Star's report (one report of many) is reproduced below:

"Following up their campaign of club-forming, the N.S.W. Rugby Football League on Tuesday night held a large and enthusiastic meeting in the Newtown Town Hall, for the purpose of forming a Newtown District Rugby Football Club, to play under the league’s banner. The president of the league (Mr. Harry Hoyle) occupied the chair, and among those on the platform were:- Messrs. J.J. Giltinan (secretary), H.C. Hammill, W. Noble, F. Cheadle, G. Boss, F. Henlen (Newtown), A. Hennessy, W. Cann, E. Fry (South Sydney), P. Moir, L. Edwards (Glebe), F. Costelloe (an old representative and a NSW captain), and also W.J. Ellis. The large hall was packed to its fullest capacity, the crowd extending down the stairs."

It is up to Newtown to make its own decision as to what date the club intends to celebrate based upon the information before it and its own conclusions.

I'm aware that the club has resolved to commemorate the club's founding on Jan 8th and, though I don't agree with the date, I continue to wish the Newtown RLFC all the best on reaching a wonderful milestone.

Bluebag

Juniors
Newtown actually has the original minutes of the meeting saying January 8 1908, so officially it is that day, JJ Giltanan was there and signed off as did Victor Trumper from the league and membership number with the league is number 1.

In this ongoing debate some choose to use the paper reports however history and original documents ay otherwise. Why would the league give us number 1 and not Glebe and they were at all meetings.

flamin

Juniors
_Johnsy said:
Ummm no, pre 1908, they would have been the Balmain rugby union side, not the balmain rugby league side.
Yes but when you're talking about how old the clubs themselsves are how far back can you go? For example I know that in the ESL English fans talk about their clubs being formed in the 1880s. Or were the RL clubs distinctly different from their RU counterparts?

What were the differences between RL and RU back in 1908? I know there were some but I cant think of any of the top of my head atm. Coz otherwise you could say the clubs were playing essentially the same game except were now being paid.

Latest posts