What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who shouldnt play in the Charity Shield?

Dave Q

Coach
The old poisoned challice is back.

Name your top 7 players who should be kicking back at Rustys Coffs Harbour digs instead of playing in the Charity Sheild.

Heres mine:-

1. Asotasi
2. Stuart
3. Luke
4. Sandow
5. Best
6. Dave
7. Sutto

Any disagreements lads?

Way you go....

For extra points, name your top 5 dragons who Benny will be entertaining with his old home movies from his days in the Qld Police Force. I will have to think of some.

Last edited:
Roy and Issac.If JT is going to pair Sandow/Sutton together this season,I suggest they must both play in the CS.

Costigan
Scott.

Last edited:

ballfreek

Juniors
I agree with pretty much all of them Dave, however I do remember reading something recently when Roy stated he would be ready to go come Charity Shield, which sounds like he's keen to play, even if JT doesn't want him to.

I think it would be better for Roy to have a semi-decent hit out before the season proper, considering he hasn't played a full match since end of last year. I'd be saying something different had he played the World Cup though :p

As for the Dragons, I'd say the following may be rested:

- Jeremy Smith
- Young
- Boyd
- Coops

Maybe Nightingale and Morris too ... who knows .... Bennett's definately gonna try some different combos throughout the match, so we may well be playing 2 different teams either side of half-time

MattJ

Juniors
I dont think we should rest anyone, i would like to see all of who JT consider to be our most likely starting 17 for round 1 getting atleast a small stint of limited time in the shield and just to blow out some cobwebs and not start the season too cold.
Same with the Coffs trial against the panthers, would be great to see all the boys gelling and firing from the opening whistle of 09, a bit of game practice would be helpful.

Dave Q

Coach
Thanks for the insights lads.

The problem with the sheild is that some of the players seem to take it too seriously and they get injured.

I agree that a hard training session will never match a proper game for intensity and experience, but usually, theres less chance of an injury.

Especially when the boys are wearing all that tackle padding. Sure they look a bit like those sumo wrestlers at pubs, but its safer.

I am also a bit sick of the allegation that the sheild is our annual grand final.

I wonder if we are going to see the results of Tallis work with the forwards, thats slipped under the radar a bit, but I heard he is really getting into the guys heads. Ive seen the footage of his attack, but our defence around the ruck was pretty lean at times last years. If we can stiffen that up 30% there will be no way up the middle against Souths.

Dave Q

Coach
Good point Dave,I too will be looking to see how these players have benefited from Tallis's coaching.

At his peak it would be difficult to argue that he wasnt one of the worlds best forwards.

The guys will be fit enough, but I hope he imbues to them that steel trap mindset he possesses.

It wasnt unusual to see him make half the tackles in a single set and he was a real handful to bring down.

Then on the next set, he'd just go again, fresh as a daisy.

Repeated often.

The word 'dominate', does not adequately describe his approach to a game.

All those gfited players in that Brisbane line-up and he swept their reputations aside with ease.

Then hed back that up by playing in the koori challenge. Never forgot where he came from or his spiritual side.

I am sure he will inspire the guys. You really wouldnt want to make him angry with a lazy or lacklustre performace. Youd rather get hit by Gillespie or cop a Les Boyd facial.

Last edited:

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I'ts a new squad for the Dragons & a new regime, so I'd be surprised if any Saints players are rested. He's taking 23 of the top 25 to Perth for the Perth trial next week.

I think all of our top 13 should get a run at some point at both Coffs and the Charity shield. The only exception's I would make would perhaps be Roy and Wing as both are still recovering from injury. Don't think they should all be in the starting lineup for either game, but I would like to see every player in our first 13 (barring the two mentioned above) given at least 40 minutes of game time before round 1. 20 to 30 minutes play at Coffs and then in the shield each should see them pretty close to match fitness for round 1. IMO you don't want the side in absolute peak condition for round 1 anyway, you want them to be hitting their straps by about round 3 or 4. Its a long season and if they are tip top come round 1, you run the risk of them having a big flat spot in the middle of the season. No one can maintain peak for all 26 rounds.

Latest posts