What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHO THE HELL ARE YOU LOT?

2 True Blues

Coach
Like that MERRITT comment . Three trys and five goals. What a player, although John SINISA set him up for his third with some fancy footwork and speed out wide.

testeagles

Juniors
innsaneink said:
testeagles said:
innsaneink said:
testeagles said:
innsaneink said:
Newtown was once one of the toughest areas of Sydney, a working class, no frills, no nonsense suburb with tough similar people.....the team of the day reflected the area.

Now its a trendy, inner city place to be, populated by gays, uni students, greenie bleeding hearts and the odd migrant that wouldnt move. If you're looking for a fez or caftan, Newtowns your best bet.

would like to tell everyone where you are from innsaneink???

I grew up a few K's down the road in Ashfield.....now I live near Parra.

just because you cant afford to live in the area no need to bag it out ;)

Whos bagging it?

Just stating facts.
so whats this years team reflecting???
your current opinon of newtown???

innsaneink

Referee
testeagles said:
innsaneink said:
testeagles said:
innsaneink said:
testeagles said:
innsaneink said:
Newtown was once one of the toughest areas of Sydney, a working class, no frills, no nonsense suburb with tough similar people.....the team of the day reflected the area.

Now its a trendy, inner city place to be, populated by gays, uni students, greenie bleeding hearts and the odd migrant that wouldnt move. If you're looking for a fez or caftan, Newtowns your best bet.

would like to tell everyone where you are from innsaneink???

I grew up a few K's down the road in Ashfield.....now I live near Parra.

just because you cant afford to live in the area no need to bag it out ;)

Whos bagging it?

Just stating facts.
so whats this years team reflecting???
your current opinon of newtown???

Dunno mate, havent seen em this year, they play in a different comp to my team.

Saw em beat the Magpies last year at Henson, big n strong, Feild carved us up.

I await ur next witty reply.

2 True Blues

Coach
This is a football forum mate. We don`t really care who lives where or what. :roll: We welcome anyone to our matches, even you. Come to Henson one day and see how friendly everyone is.

I'd like to second 2 True Blues' comments.

Also, I beg to differ re the "Newtown dwellers / Jets supporters aren't the dyed-in-the-wool working class Bluebag types they used to be, blah, blah, blah" thing you've been going on about.

Here's my background/qualification to make comment:

OK. Born in Stanmore 40-something years ago. Saw my first Newtown match at Henson at about age 3. Own a house in South Newtown a block away from my Mum's house in one direction and a block and a half from my sister's flat in the other. I'm living and working in Shanghai, China at the moment, but try and get back for Henson games whenever I can.

I've watched Newtown through all of the (many) tough seasons since that first game in 1965 and then went into mourning while the bastards kept us off the senior paddock for so long.

No matter whether it was First Grade, Metro, First Div or nowadays PL, if the 'Bags were playing, I'd be there.

Eventually, I even ended up becoming a bit of a semi-useful game-day volunteer for the Jets at Redfern and then Henson.

Therefore, I believe I have reasonable credentials to witter on about "how our supporters have changed", "it's just not the same", etc. - but I believe in the most fundamental sense, they really haven't.

Sure, a lot of them didn't grow up a stone's throw from the Townie, nor do they work at Metters or the Pick-Me-Up factory (both gone) any more. Many of them make too much money or are not anglo-saxon enough for your taste.

But they're almost to a man (or woman) the sort of decent folks they always were. A good indicator, I feel, is the way they behave at Henson. Unlike the crowds at all of the NRL grounds we visit, they NEVER boo the visiting team as they run out on the field.

It think it reflects the basic "fair go" nature of the Newtown Club and its supporters.

Sure, they give the ref a serve if they feel he's got it wrong (i.e. he's penalised anybody wearing Royal Blue), but they DON'T have that tiny-minded attitude that you should disrespect visiting players just because they've come to give you a game.

Secondly, in reference to your comments about the way the area's changed, in among your racial slurs about the migrants who live in the area, you left out one of the best bits - on King Street we have probably the finest collections of Thai restaurants outside of Thailand!

True, the Thai folk who run them, along with many of the yuppies, poofs etc. who have moved into the area in recent years probably don't give a damn about RL.

But that's as it's always been in Newtown. Fact. My Scottish Grandad couldn't have cared less about the Bluebags when he moved from Glasgow to Newtown in the '20s - he grew up with soccer and was a bit of a Rangers fanatic.

But his son (my uncle) played for the 'Bags. His grandson (me) ended up doing his little bit to keep the royal blue flying when he got a chance (despite being relatively useless in my own playing days).

Lastly, what on earth are you talking about considering you don't live in EITHER of Wests' territories?

If you believe the suburb you currently live in is so important in relation to whether you are a "proper" supporter of a club, then why don't you feel compelled to live in Ashfield or Campbelltown?

Or better yet, why don't you just come to Henson again and enjoy the fact that we keep old-style friendly footy going in a very unfriendly modern age.

As an aside, funnily enough, one of our most fervent groups of supporters on the Henson Hill are a bunch of Newtown-residing Bull dykes who are happily ignorant of the fact that they're in violation of your "poofs and yups don't follow league" edict.

They just like their footy. They behave themselves, respect others around them and have a good time at Henson home games - and that's all we ask of our supporters.

innsaneink

Referee
The Dawson Twins Minus 1 said:
Lastly, what on earth are you talking about considering you don't live in EITHER of Wests' territories?

If you believe the suburb you currently live in is so important in relation to whether you are a "proper" supporter of a club, then why don't you feel compelled to live in Ashfield or Campbelltown?

Please point out where I said that, or gave that impression. That was not my intention.

A fan from abroad was asking about Newtown, I merely gave my opinion.

Then others asked where I was from.

Talk about putting words in someones mouth.

PS: I actually live in Balmains Junior district, which feeds Wests Tigers, which happens to be my club.

2 True Blues

Coach
and here I was just thinking you liked photos of men hugging wearing West Tigers jerseys. Had no idea mate. #-o

testeagles

Juniors
i think you will find it is more than a liitle hugging.
apparently youngster benji marshall has brought the tradition of kissing each other to the club.
interesting!

ozjet1

innsaneink said:
Newtown....the odd migrant that wouldnt move.
that's my folks.

my dad still hasn't recovered from the Jets exit from the top league. as a kid growing up on a diet of soccer in southern europe, he adopted the Jets and rugby league like a child. Once he lost the team, he lost his interest in the game too...to the point where he bags the shit out of the game whenever he sees it on tele. ask my dad where he would be on a winter sunday in the 70's and early 80's, he'd reply in very poor english "i go to watch de jets". your right about the transformation of the suburb though...its extremely good for a look of decent skirt these days!!

2 True Blues

Coach
Jets are sixth on the ladder with a bye this weekend, which will possibly take them up even further on the ladder.

Going great guns, tell your old man to check out the Jets website ETC, forum.

Once a Jet always a Jet.

hrundi99

First Grade
innsaneink said:

God you talk some shit...