What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who was robbed more??? L MacDouggall or Grothe

balmainbenny

Juniors
Eric Grothe is the second unluckiest non-selection in the 30-man origin squad this season. He has been tearing up this season, yet got pipped by out-of-form and overrated Luke Lewis.
The only guy unluckier than him has been Luke MacDouggall. How he didn't even get picked to play City v Country is well beyond me. This guy has not put a foot wrong for Souths all year and brings everybody to their feet everytime he touches the ball.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Grothe Jr.

Luke MacDougall is no where near representative material at this stage, he is a decent winger playing ok in a pretty poor team thus standing out a little.

IMO Grothe Jr. was a 'bolter' for the NSW side and is one of the unlucky few left out of the 30 man squad afte ra solid start to the season and a strong showing for City.

If your going to ask a question like this, perhaps have two players on the fringe of selection...Grothe Jr. and Morrison for example.

Red Bear

Referee
Agreed, Luke Macdougal is an awesome winger and, unlike some higher profiles, he knows how to f**king tackle. Quick, evasive and awesome defence. What more could you want?

balmainbenny

Juniors
Some people here just look at name players. People should actually "WATCH" him play and not make judgements on name players only. To me, the guy has everything. Great under the high ball, great defender, strong like his brother and good footy instinct.
He is seriously underrated. Im a tiger supporter, so Im showing no bias towards my team here. He is an untapped gem.

I think you'll find selectors like lewis for two reasons.

1. He has Origin experience. Something that in my opinion is over rated and SHOULD NEVER over ride form.

and

2. He can play on the wing and in the centers.

I also think Lewis is probably a safer option as far as many are concerned.

Bazal

Post Whore
Eric Grothe should have walked into the squad. Not necessarily into a blue jersey, but if he's not in the top 3 wingers in NSW at the moment I'll swim across Lake Burley Griffin with Ryan O'Hara on my back. MacDougall is good, no doubt, but Grothe was made for Origin. Lewis is an overrated hack.

heartofclay

Juniors
woudnt u think that the selectors woudl pick an unnamed player, just so he can get under the lights and show ppl what its really about.. i personally think luke mc, wouldve done great in a city country battle, purely because he was picked.. a bit of a confidence boost.. :oops:

Davester

Juniors
nospam49 is right and I agree with he said (surprise! surprise!)

When it comes to selections, experience is overated and takes over form.

As I've said in a Forum 7s article I made I said that selectors are known to select players with a track record and are known to reward the incumbent.

Eric Grothe deserves to be there, he SHOULD be in the NSW Squad.

The Tank

Bench
just because Grothe didn't make it doesn't mean Lewis is a hack :roll: Grothe should've been there somewhere.

Bazal

Post Whore
The Tank said:
just because Grothe didn't make it doesn't mean Lewis is a hack :roll: Grothe should've been there somewhere.

Lewis has a lot of talent, but for mine he rarely translates that into his performances. Grothe should be there over him, but that's not the reason Lewis is a hack.

Im a Panthers fan but as always....my opinions are not based on bias.

Lewis is a good athlete. He is a solid league player and he has the ability to be a special player in the future. He is a young bloke, he is comfortable playing in big games and for his age, he has alot of experience.

Having said that, I think Lewis isnt the type of player thats going to tear and opposition side apart like say Matthew Cooper can.

Lewis will do some good things on the field, but he has yet to come up with any real spectacular plays.

I think being moved between the wing and center hasnt helped him. I think he needs to sit down with penrith and work out which position to settle on.

Is Lewis over rated....probably by certain people in the media. Then again, I dont think they are rating Lewis on how he is playing....I think they rate him more on the fact that you have a young, experienced, level headed player who they feel could be a top class center one day.

As a Panthers player....Im happy with Lewis in the side. He isnt a bad player, he isnt a hack.

I can understand people wondering how he gets in the NSW squad ahead of other players, but one again I go back to selectors knowing what they get with him and knowing he is a safe option.

Bazal

Post Whore
nospam49 said:
Im a Panthers fan but as always....my opinions are not based on bias.

Lewis is a good athlete. He is a solid league player and he has the ability to be a special player in the future. He is a young bloke, he is comfortable playing in big games and for his age, he has alot of experience.

Having said that, I think Lewis isnt the type of player thats going to tear and opposition side apart like say Matthew Cooper can.

Lewis will do some good things on the field, but he has yet to come up with any real spectacular plays.

I think being moved between the wing and center hasnt helped him. I think he needs to sit down with penrith and work out which position to settle on.

Is Lewis over rated....probably by certain people in the media. Then again, I dont think they are rating Lewis on how he is playing....I think they rate him more on the fact that you have a young, experienced, level headed player who they feel could be a top class center one day.

As a Panthers player....Im happy with Lewis in the side. He isnt a bad player, he isnt a hack.

I can understand people wondering how he gets in the NSW squad ahead of other players, but one again I go back to selectors knowing what they get with him and knowing he is a safe option.

I only called him a "hack" because he could be so much more than he is, but doesn't seem to try. Maybe that's not the word, but it's the first that came to mind. He's a solid first grader, but that's it. It's a bit sad really, he had so much potential. Luckily he's young and can still fulfill that....

See, I wouldnt call that type of player a hack.

I'd call Mark Gasnier a hack. All the tallent in the world, but he is injury prone and very fragile when it comes to what he has between his ears.

When you hear Mark gasnier p*ss and moan about the pressures his name brings and wanting to quit the game......give me a break, thats a hack!!!

I agree, Lewis hasnt reached his potentual, but I think he is playing for a club where its hard for him to reach his potentual quite honestly.

mickdo

Coach
nospam49 said:
See, I wouldnt call that type of player a hack.

I'd call Mark Gasnier a hack. All the tallent in the world, but he is injury prone and very fragile when it comes to what he has between his ears.

When you hear Mark gasnier p*ss and moan about the pressures his name brings and wanting to quit the game......give me a break, thats a hack!!!
I think I'd call that more of a crock myself...

Hurriflatch

Referee
The players who were robbed was anyone who didn't wear a Roosters, Manly, Panthers or Dragons jersey who has not yet played test footy.

If Hindmarsh hadn't played for Australia I'm doubting he would've ever been picked.

Look at the selection panel.

Selectors
Laurie Daley - Connections with the Dragons
Geoff Gerard - Played for a number of years at the Panthers
Ricky Stuart - Coach of the Roosters

Dragons - 7 players
Roosters - 5 players
Panthers - 6 players

Coincidence, I think not

mudfly

Juniors
Grothe has possibly been the best NSW Winger this year in the NRL and was definately robbed.

Mad Pup is an awesome player, if he was playing for a top team he'd be there for sure. I'm really disappointed that he wasn't selected for city/country because I know how good he is.