What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who was robbed more??? L MacDouggall or Grothe

mickdo said:
nospam49 said:
See, I wouldnt call that type of player a hack.

I'd call Mark Gasnier a hack. All the tallent in the world, but he is injury prone and very fragile when it comes to what he has between his ears.

When you hear Mark gasnier p*ss and moan about the pressures his name brings and wanting to quit the game......give me a break, thats a hack!!!
I think I'd call that more of a crock myself...

:D

Nugby

Juniors
Good to see Daley runs the selection commitee then :)

Eric Grothe should have walked into the squad. Not necessarily into a blue jersey, but if he's not in the top 3 wingers in NSW at the moment I'll swim across Lake Burley Griffin with Ryan O'Hara on my back

Shall I drive over now and be waiting with a towel? :lol:

Bazal

Post Whore
Nugby said:
Good to see Daley runs the selection commitee then :)

Eric Grothe should have walked into the squad. Not necessarily into a blue jersey, but if he's not in the top 3 wingers in NSW at the moment I'll swim across Lake Burley Griffin with Ryan O'Hara on my back

Shall I drive over now and be waiting with a towel? :lol:

:lol:

If you can successfully name three better wingers atm then feel free....

Not at night though, might get eaten by giant cod 8-[

The Tank

Bench
Bazal said:
The Tank said:
just because Grothe didn't make it doesn't mean Lewis is a hack :roll: Grothe should've been there somewhere.

Lewis has a lot of talent, but for mine he rarely translates that into his performances. Grothe should be there over him, but that's not the reason Lewis is a hack.

I agree Grothe should be there over him. Lewis has never reached his potential though. I think he was put in the spotlight too early and thought it was THAT easy.

But he is a decent player. I've been surprised he's made so many rep teams because he's not a match-winning type of player like Gasnier for example, but he's better than a lot of other wingers/centres out there.

I'd rather have him in my team than in the other.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hurriflatch said:
The players who were robbed was anyone who didn't wear a Roosters, Manly, Panthers or Dragons jersey who has not yet played test footy.

If Hindmarsh hadn't played for Australia I'm doubting he would've ever been picked.

Look at the selection panel.

Selectors
Laurie Daley - Connections with the Dragons
Geoff Gerard - Played for a number of years at the Panthers
Ricky Stuart - Coach of the Roosters

Dragons - 7 players
Roosters - 5 players
Panthers - 6 players

Coincidence, I think not

come on Flatch! get a grip mate :roll:

Geoff Gerard is a Parramatta junior who's daughters follow the club and is seen more often than not mixing it with Stan, Wally Wynn and the bear in the corporate box every home game.

Laurie Daley and Ricky Stuart are better people than that and shouldn't be seen as being biased,

why don't you tell us who you'd have in there and who would you drop?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Its the same scenario as the Anzac test

Players have been selected on last years form, it has very little to do with current form, except for Watmough's inclusion

The Colonel

Immortal
For years NSW got their arses kicked when they picked the form side. They are following the lead of Queensland in selecting those players that have done the job in the past and adding a couple of players who they believe can do it in trhe future.

Grothe will get a shot before the end of the series. Injuries, particularly in the case of Gasnier and Cooper, are almost assured.

If we are talking unlucky - Paul Gallen IMO would be the unluckiest.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Not saying that El Masri should have been selected. But do you guys think that he is up there with the form wingers in the competition?

Grothe is unlucky not have made the squad as is Gallen IMO. They have both been playing extremely good footy this season and can feel hard done by.

As far as Luke McDougall I also think that he is extremely under-rated and wouldn't have looked out of place in the City/Country clash. There is no doubt that playing for a struggling Club counts against you when selections for rep matches are concerned. Look at Ashley Harrison. If he was playing for a high profile Club (Roosters, Dragons, Broncos) you could be nearly guaranteed that he would have made at least the initial SOO squad. Same goes for Nutley (not that the Sharks are struggling just not high profile).

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Out of the 2, MacDougall and Grothe, both are as unlucky as each other. Probably MacDougall was less chance though being from the Rabbits. Grothe has a much higher profile as do the Eels.

Hurriflatch said:
The players who were robbed was anyone who didn't wear a Roosters, Manly, Panthers or Dragons jersey who has not yet played test footy.

If Hindmarsh hadn't played for Australia I'm doubting he would've ever been picked.

Look at the selection panel.

Selectors
Laurie Daley - Connections with the Dragons
Geoff Gerard - Played for a number of years at the Panthers
Ricky Stuart - Coach of the Roosters

Dragons - 7 players
Roosters - 5 players
Panthers - 6 players

Coincidence, I think not

Well I don't know. Stuart for a start is not a selector and you left out Bob Fulton and Chairman of the NSW selection panel Bob McCarthy. If your contention was 100% right one would think that MacDougall being a rabbit would of been there on the back of McCarthy.

You'd also think the Raiders might of got some representation as Daley's ties with them are closer than his ties to the Dragons.

I don't discount what you are getting at 100% Flatch but I honestly feel it's more a case of stickiing with the tried and proven with only a few spots left for the "outsiders". There's probably half a dozen unlucky blokes apart from EG and LMacD.

Ahh life goes on. I look at the positive from the Sharks point of view. We get to keep our players while SSO decimates other teams around us :lol:

Broncodroid said:
Grothe Jr.

Luke MacDougall is no where near representative material at this stage, he is a decent winger playing ok in a pretty poor team thus standing out a little.

IMO Grothe Jr. was a 'bolter' for the NSW side and is one of the unlucky few left out of the 30 man squad afte ra solid start to the season and a strong showing for City.

If your going to ask a question like this, perhaps have two players on the fringe of selection...Grothe Jr. and Morrison for example.

That story about him getting stage fright when he was picked for state of origin fact or not will stop him ever getting another go I'd imagine.

Only he will ever know if he could have played or not.

And in regards to Madpup his played pretty well in a crap team he'd stand out like a sore thumb in a rep team, maybe in a few years but his definately not ripe yet.

Dogaholic said:
Not saying that El Masri should have been selected. But do you guys think that he is up there with the form wingers in the competition?

Always solid great goal kicker, decent defence and can do stuff in attack.

Not a game winner(obviously can be with goals but not ability) but very handy especially being a great goal kicker.

Davester

Juniors
Eric Grothe Jr. - No need for me to explain why. The reasons were shown on the field. What a joke he didn't get selected! :mad:

Bazal

Post Whore
Knight82 said:
That story about him getting stage fright when he was picked for state of origin fact or not will stop him ever getting another go I'd imagine.

Only he will ever know if he could have played or not.

I think we've all seen the pics of him on crutches with one knee less than half the size of the other. There is no way he could have played and that stage fright story was a disgraceful media beat up, and if it has damaged his chances in any way then the respective journalists should face legal action. Grothe is one of those players that is made for origin, he's the kind of player that QLD have been picking for years, tough, fiery and passionate.

That was passionate!

And dont attack me my friend I reckon that his a very good player especially the way he breaks tackles.

Bazal

Post Whore
Knight82 said:
That was passionate!

And dont attack me my friend I reckon that his a very good player especially the way he breaks tackles.

:oops: That wasn't directed at you, a thousand apologies if you thought I was attacking you champ!! I realise you aren't saying that he actually had stage fright, sorry again if it seemed I was having a go at you.

Latest posts