What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

who was the first player....

northey

First Grade
that you met????
did anything intresting happen????

mine was chief.....

i was only young and was staying with my grand parents up in newi....
wewent to the pool and my pop said " see thoes men they play for the knights"
i ran up to them straight away and grabbed onto chief's leg.... he picked me up and carried me over to my pop...
i was only very young back then.... and i still remember it...
:lol: :lol:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Haha, that's so cute!

The first player that I met was Jason Cayless, back when he was at the Eels. That wasn't until 2000, when the majority of NRL players were in England for the WC. He was running a tackling drill as part of the 'Eels on Wheels'.

Funnily enough, I also met Jamie Lyon and Daniel Anderson, back before most people had any idea who they were.

Nothing as interesting as northey's submission, I'm afraid.

First player I met was Sarge and he was huge-Shoulders and thighs everywhere.
Shook hand with hughsy last weekend at the Minor League Gala day in Kurri Kurri.
Genuinly nice bloke.

Darren Albert in 1997, the day after we lost 2 Manly at home. It was a saturday afternoon at a park near Green Hills and all the player's were there cept 4 Chief and Joey. I went upto Darren who was injured at the time, i think his leg? He was sittin down with crutches next 2 him. Neways i walked upto him and said "Hey Darren u r sooo fast and u r the best winger " He laughed and said "Thanx buddy, ur my new no 1 fan" He shook my hand and signed my shirt and before I left he said "Hey buddy thanx for the compliments, ur a lil legend" I was like "oh wow he actuallt spoke to me and calld me Buddy and legend lol. For the record I was 12 yrs old. :D :D

the_knights_rule

First Grade
I was like "oh wow he actuallt spoke to me and calld me Buddy and legend lol. For the record I was 12 yrs old.

lol i was like that too, joey called me mate so i was like wow!! he called me mate how cool... until my dream was shattered when my sister said he probably calls everyone mate :roll: hehe

i forget who my exact first player was because i met the whole team on the same day. it was at a trial match at port macquarie and the players were just walking around before the match so i got autographs n signatures.

i hadnt been going teh knights for that long when i met them and i knew most of the players but not soem of the younger ones and i got a photo and signature off a stranger who i thought at the time was a player! they shouldnt sell the team polo shirts cos it can get confusing as to who is actually a player and who isnt! :lol:

i was about 12 so i was very excited about meeting all my fave players especailly andrew johns was my hero. and i got to meet the whole team except tahu so i was prettty stoked :D[/quote]

fosie

Juniors
Mine was Jamie Feeney and Brent Sherlwin.....haven't met any knights players yet though :(

stevo

Juniors
david farliegh
matt seers
jason taylor

i was bout 14 and they had a half day training thing. didn't like taylor he was a ass

m0j0

Bench
I met Freddy, Fletch and Adam Muir a few years back at a signing for Origin. I took my Roosters jersey along and got Freddy and Fletch to sign it. They were handing out posters and I figured I'd grab one and get them all to sign it. I didn't even look at the poster and I assumed it was a Blues poster, being an Origin promotion and all - I just grabbed it, and handed it over to get signed. It wasn't until after I got it signed that I had a look at it and realised it was a Roosters poster. That explained the strange look I got from Adam as I asked him to sign it. :roll: Could be a collectors item having a Roosters poster with Muir's autograph on it. :lol:

Technically, the first player I met was Adam Muir back when I was about 8 or 9. He lived in Floraville and we had some mutual friends. We used to see each other quite a bit during the years since we lived in neighbouring suburbs. I was surprised, however, when I bumped into him in Sydney one day out the front of the NSWRL headquarters (circa 1996) and he recognized me and greeted me by name.

I also went to high school with Brett and Craig Kimmorley and had to sit through role call every morning with them. Additionally, I met Darren Treacy when he was going to the same school as my girlfriend.

Of course, none of these count since they weren't NRL players back then, but hey... :)

KnightSmurf

Juniors
First player I met was Paul Sironen when the Australian team played New Guinea in Townsville in the 80's. He picked me up and squeezed me coz I asked him to sign my Balmain shirt.

Met the rest of the team after then .. as I was waiting specifically to meet Siro.

Of course all the Cowboys team first year in the comp -- I lived with 2 of them and the players of the teams they played against at home out at the clubs.

les norton

First Grade
Steve renouf...in line at maccas. he was a bit of a pig with the amount of food on the tray to be quite honest. :D

I've got photos of myself with Peter Sterling and Gary Jack circa 1986 at the Number 1 sportsground in the lead up to a city country game.

~bedsy~

First Grade
Matty Johns was the first player I met.
He went to Port Macquarie for the races... and I met him out the front of the TAB for a promotional thing. He didn't speak much as he was pretty shocked with the drawing I did of Trent that I got him to sign.
He was pretty nice about getting a photo.

well i shook matt gidley and mark hughes's hand @ my 1st game....wen they came out of the changerooms b4 the game and i just stuck my hand out and matt gidley gave me a high-five :D :D and then i met mark hughes who was injured :( but he shook my hand and signed stuff 4 me so it was all good

Wests is Best

Juniors
The first player I ever met was Noel 'Crusher' Cleal. He had a sports shop in Sydneys North and me and my sister went in and said hello to him. My sister had her Rubicks cube with her, and Crusher said if she could unpuzzle it in under 1 minute he would give her a free T-shirt. She did it in about 30 seconds and scored the shirt. We still got that t-shirt at mum and dads somewhere. It had a rooster on it which dates the meeting to Cleals Easts days (1980-1982).

Latest posts