What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will play halfback next year ?

mmap dragons

Juniors
Hodkinson, Henry, geez the Saints are really clutching at straws here.

There has to be some decent halfback over in England who can do the job and he will be cheap. Or does Doust look within a 5km radius?

I concur slippery. Look no further than Michael Dobson. He has been killing it in the Pommy Super League.

The Cutters have Jeremy Smith (former eel and souths half) running around for them. I know competition is a little different, but if we are lokoing for depth/cover and we cant find a young cheap option - he would do fine.

Saint06, with respect, no he wouldn't. He's old and he's a reserve grader. He'd actually be a disaster.

getsmarty

Immortal
You are correct in all you say mate.

But, a lot has changed at the Sharks in the last week.

Fair enough... As I Said, we Offered Reynolds a big payday but he apparently knocked us back. I heard this on Monday .Now that Hornby has retired, surely we are going to snag someone. What happened to Jacob Miller from the tigers?? That was supposed to be close at one stage.

Last edited:

64 Dragon

Coach
I read somewhere that talks with Jacob Miller have stalled. Both parties can't come to an amicable agreement. Here's hoping it may still happen.

jenninga

First Grade
Aggressive recruitment you got that right......sorry to his supporters but Im not sure if K. Stanley is the halves answer....as well as being injury prone, im not convinced that he will handle that position.....he was ordinary at fullback to say the least and average in the centres imo.....unfortunately like his brother they just dont seem to have that gritty go forward, and seldom make any line breaks...I know that I will be shot down by my comments but the Stanley boys just dont show much to me...hope they prove me wrong...........
The rare times Kyle has played in the halves he has shown he has the composure and talent to play there.Him and Soward would give us the flair we need.Pity for his injury.Yes he was average at fullback and centre but he is clearly a creative player for the halves.
Do you think Thurston would be as good at fullback or centre?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Kyle is a gun and he can tackle. No need to hide him on the wing. But with his injury concerns they will need backup. If Soward goes they will need to bring in 2 halves.

Apparently Saints have an Aussie schoolboys halfback under wraps and have marked him as the future half. He is pretty good apparently. Not sure of his name.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
The rare times Kyle has played in the halves he has shown he has the composure and talent to play there.Him and Soward would give us the flair we need.Pity for his injury.Yes he was average at fullback and centre but he is clearly a creative player for the halves.
Do you think Thurston would be as good at fullback or centre?

When was the last time Kyle played in the halves and showed he was the incumbent half for the Dragons...and to mention Thurston is way off the mark he is world class at either 1/2 or 5/8 I dont think he has to prove he would be as good at centre or fullback .......sorry imo I dont think Kyle is what we are looking for......but as I said I hope Im wrong as at the moment theres nothing else around

Minh

First Grade
Kyle hasn't yet been given the chance to prove his worth in the halves, I'm sure he would be better suited in the halves but we will never really know unless he plays a fair few games there.

st.phil

Bench
When was the last time Kyle played in the halves and showed he was the incumbent half for the Dragons...and to mention Thurston is way off the mark he is world class at either 1/2 or 5/8 I dont think he has to prove he would be as good at centre or fullback .......sorry imo I dont think Kyle is what we are looking for......but as I said I hope Im wrong as at the moment theres nothing else around

He has only done it twice and looked great on both occasions - souths late 2010 and at Win this year the game he got injured (vs sharks?) He looked completely at ease in both instances. Other than that it has just been glimpses / the occassional play. BSE - your rightful to doubt the club / coaching after this year - but do you really think they would just build a mystical wrap on the kid? The players all believe as well. He is the real deal - most comparable player to his "potential" would be foran exchanging some grit for silk.

possm

Coach
I read somewhere that talks with Jacob Miller have stalled. Both parties can't come to an amicable agreement. Here's hoping it may still happen.

Surely now with the TV rights settled and Hornby's retirement, there should be funds available to snap this you half up.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
He has only done it twice and looked great on both occasions - souths late 2010 and at Win this year the game he got injured (vs sharks?) He looked completely at ease in both instances. Other than that it has just been glimpses / the occassional play. BSE - your rightful to doubt the club / coaching after this year - but do you really think they would just build a mystical wrap on the kid? The players all believe as well. He is the real deal - most comparable player to his "potential" would be foran exchanging some grit for silk.

Ok hes done it once two years ago and for how long this year before injured.......and no I dont think they are building a mystical wrap on him...if as you say the players believe hes the real deal then thats fine ...but being the real deal in glimpses and proving it over time are two different things...and I guess the answer to that is both you and I will never know unless hes given a chance ......look I happen to like the kid but I just wouldnt like to think the club is just banking on him being the next half and not pursuing interests elswhere....put it this way if by some remote chance we secured someone like Pearce for instance and Sowie decided to stay where would Kyle fit..........and I will repeat myself again I hope he proves me wrong

I believe we signed Jacob Miller prior to Hornby's announcement, don't know why 'Crownie Doust' hasn't annouinced it yet. Maybe it's not rue but I'm getting some good mail re this. This is one of them.
stgeorgeillawarra29766.jpg

St George Illawarra DRAGONS
2013 Coach: Steve Price
GAINS: Gerard Beale (Brisbane Broncos) Tyson Frizell (Cronulla Sharks) Jacob Miller (Wests Tigers)
LOSSES: Beau Scott (Newcastle Knights) Dean Young (Retirement) Jeremy Latimore (Penrith Panthers) Ben Hornby (Retirement)
RE-SIGNED: Brett Morris (2015) Trent Merrin (2015) Cameron King (2014) Nathan Green (2014) Dan Hunt (2016)
Off Contract: Nick Emmett, David Gower, Denan Kemp, Jake Marketo, Jarrod Thompson, Atelea Vea

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
Caught the Price interview today, discussing Hornby's replacement... seemed so strange after all this time spent avoiding playing him in the halves, and the forum scratching their heads on his future... he is now stating quite matter-a-fact, that:

"Oh yes we have the next great talent right here in house".

R2Coupe

Juniors
I believe we signed Jacob Miller prior to Hornby's announcement, don't know why 'Crownie Doust' hasn't annouinced it yet. Maybe it's not rue but I'm getting some good mail re this. This is one of them.

RLW reports it is not happening. Talks have broken down Dragons still looking.

Fingerbang

Bench
kyles defense it pretty poor.
I don't know whick Kyle you have been watching.....I remember being very pleased watching Kyle Stanley defend when I used to watch him in the under 20's. I haven't seen anything from him this year to suggest his defence is poor.

Latest posts