What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will Smithy be the making of in 07?

Super Sub

Juniors
We all know there are going to be some structural changes next year. Half our backline is leaving and there is also more room up front for one of our younger front rowers to come through onto the bench. Also I wouldn't be surprised if one or two players are dropped for more suitable replacements (Specifically referring to Tanner) and there is also the posibility of some positional changes next year (Thaiday to wing maybe? Kidley to anywhere but the halves?). We also know that Smithy likes a certain structure in his teams, utility players are something he is definetly fond of for example.

So I was just thinking about it and the question I would like to pose to you all is who do you think is going to get their "BIG BREAK" when Smithy takes over next year?

I'm expecting Tighe to have a big year especially since he has been promised first shot at centre. Mullen is bound to get a whole first grade season next year provided he doesn't get injured, and a couple of fringe first graders like Brown, Bailey and Seage I can definetly see getting their big chance under Smithy.

I wanna know what everyone else thinks on this subject.

K-Man

Bench
Time will tell who really improves the most, but the three that I am personally hoping to see really develop are Tighe, Brown and Snowden. All three would be in my first grade team next year if they have good off-seasons.

I wonder if Tanner feels confident about his position, or if deep down he knows he's one of the least talented players in history to play more than 30 first grade games. I just can't see Smith putting up with his mediocrity ahead of Abes, Reynoldson, Brown, Bailey, Snowden etc

the ref

Juniors
I think Scott Dureau will get the chance to show his true value to the Knights under Brian Smith. Although he will play little or no first grade next season, barring injury to key players, Smith will identify his talent early and work with him to eventually fill the void left by the retirement of Joey.

Ben

Bench
I agree with the fact that there are going to a number of positional changes for next year. I think Smith will mix it up and bit, giving some fringe players a chance in first grade to decide which seventeen players will combine best.

Firstly, i see Kidley moving to the bench. Hagan is the only person in the world who believes that Kidley is a half and i'm certain that after a few games Smith will trial him in a couple of positions. I still think that Kidley's most dominant position will be operating off the bench and just letting him run at tired forwards. This is what he is best at. However, we will lose a bit of his defensive workload as he will be no longer playing the full eighty minutes which is a bit of a waste.

Tighe is another who should have a great season. He has played on the wing this year and has performed extremely well in some games but has been non-existent in others. This is probably due to that Tighe is not a winger but a centre, and despite playing sensationally last year in the centres - he has yet to be given a chance to cement that position this year. Smith is the man to get the most out of his players, and Tighe is one of those with tremendous talent but just has to develop the work ethic.

knights_maniac

Juniors
i just hope kidley is out of the halves...the rest ill sit back and watch...im quite condifent we will see some great stuff from the likes of tighe etc

Yosh

Coach
i think kidley and tighe will line up as our centre combination. and seeing carmont get so much better this year, i think he will retain one wing spot, and maybe one of our new signings or seage getting the other wing spot. hard to see thaiday lose his spot if he gets back into form.

CJKnight

Juniors
I think that Tighe and Mullen will become regular starters next season. And I also think that Hinton and Uate will have long trials in FG next year, and perhaps look to be starters in '08.

antonius

Coach
I think Smith will be the making of Walsh. I'm confident he will identify him as being the eventual parner for Mullen when Johns leaves. I think Hinton will progress under him as well. As stated Tighe should finally get a shot at holding a first grade centre posi. Snowden will get a sustained run at first grade as well, and will become a regular there under Smith. I still think there's a posibility that Smith might see a different role for Thaiday, leaving Hinton and Seage as possible fullbacks.