What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would you rather have at your club, Bennet or Sheens?

Balmain_Boy

Let's just say I'm glad our coach is our coach.

Ricky Stuart MAY prove to be better than both. He's got it all to do though imo. Sheens has proven to be one of the game's great coach, present and past, with our win this year. When Stuart can go to a club with nothing and build it into a force, then comparisons can be made.

Would rather have Sheens.

Sheens had now won a few titles with two different teams in VERY different era's.

He is also willing to admit when he is wrong and is willing to change.

Slappy

Juniors
nospam49™ said:
Would rather have Sheens.

Sheens had now won a few titles with two different teams in VERY different era's.

that's right, whereas good ol' Bennet just fires all of his support staff!

Mr Saab

Referee
nospam49&#8482 said:

is he? Never heard a coach come out and admit he got it wrong. Have you?
If so post some examples.
This will be good.

Balmain_Boy

How about moving Galea to hooker, realising it was a bad move and moving him back to lock with Farah into hooker?

Whereas Bennet...still has Lockyer at 5/8.

Mr Saab

Referee
positional play. Was Farrah a standout hooker back then? Perhaps Farrah was ready to handle to hooking spot. Galea was never a true hooker.

Balmain_Boy

Yeh exactly. Sheen admitted he was wrong. Bennett is incapable of doing the same and keeps Lockyer at 5/8 - despite the fact that he's not up to it.

Mr Saab

Referee
Balmain_Boy said:
Yeh exactly. Sheen admitted he was wrong. Bennett is incapable of doing the same and keeps Lockyer at 5/8 - despite the fact that he's not up to it.

that is not an admission of getting it wrong!!!!!!
that is tinkering with the team to find the best side.
If Brisbane move Lockyer to fullback who plays in the halves? McGuire and Seymour? Yeah thats a great combo :roll:
What i was getting at is a coach coming out into the media and saying "I got that wrong'. I have never heard a coach say that.
Changing the team around is not an admission of getting things wrong..it is doing whats best for the team.

The Colonel

Immortal
Bennett has been in the one place for too long. Give him a new environment and he will be as good as he has been in the past. It worked for Tim Sheens....

simon says

First Grade
Of all the Brissy teams he has coached....I cant remember them having any real moves or a gameplan that stood out.When they had gun backs they pushed it wide all the time and played the game as quick as they could.

Now they have big forwards they pump it up the middle all day.

Very one dimensional IMO....

Now look at Sheens,dummy half plays,plays from scrums.....putting weak defenders out wide...etc etc.He did the same at Canberra,they always had some tricky moves up there sleeves.

IMO its a no contest.....Sheens by the length of the straight.

simon says

First Grade
croydon Dog food said:
Sheens was sacked from the Cowboys.

Sheens masterminded 3 victories over the Cowboys in 8 weeks during 2005

One was the Wests Tigers sealing a first ever top 8 birth
One was the Wests Tigers first ever final and thus first ever finals victory
One was the Grand Final and the Wests Tigers first ever premiership

I reckon i know who's laughings now. You really couldn't get much more brutal revenge if you scripted it.

You have to larf......surely the beatings we handed to the Cowboys this year(WHEN IT REALLY MATTERED) would silence any Sheens detractors north of the border.

Game,set,match re Sheens over Cowboys.

Sheeens by a long way these days. Sheens has the ability and the mindset to try new things, and to come up with game plans that suit the style and strenghts of his team. He is always looking forward.

Bennit is such a stubborn prick that would never admit he is wrong. He tries nothing new and refuses to take a step in the right direction with the Broncos. He seems in denial that his team is aging and he needs to look at a game plan where he can optimise his teams performance over the entire season - especially in the finals. He was a fantastic coach for the team he had in the 90's but he has simply refused to look forward to the future like Tim Sheens

Raiders Plight

Juniors
Bit of an unfair poll, Sheens just won a premiership with a team no body gave a chance, while bennet's team probably underacheived. No one would be saying sheens 5 years ago. Obviously now you would have to go with Sheens, but Bennet has done a remarkable job to keep the broncos near the top for so long. Perhaps Bennet needs an assistant, his football brain is still good but i have doubts about whether he can push his team that extra bit further in the business end of the season.

Tigerpete

Juniors
Tim Sheens wins it fairly. He took 3 different clubs over a 20 year period to their first ever finals series, then went on to win 3 maiden premierships with those same clubs. I know with the tigers too, he hasnt always had the talent but he's had them playing above their weight.

And to compare Ricky Stuart with either of them is silly. Ricky Stuart apart from coaching in the lower grades has inherited strong teams and that makes your job easier, sure that doesnt take away from the sucess he's bought but he's yet to have been tested as a coach, last season was a test and in my opinion he failed.

Mr Saab

Referee
Tigerpete said:
Tim Sheens wins it fairly. He took 3 different clubs over a 20 year period to their first ever finals series, then went on to win 3 maiden premierships with those same clubs. I know with the tigers too, he hasnt always had the talent but he's had them playing above their weight.

he never won a comp at the panthers.