What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's afraid of the AFL, asks Titans boss Michael Searle

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...s-michael-searle/story-e6frg7mf-1225875702957

Who's afraid of the AFL, asks Titans boss Michael Searle

* Brent Read
* June 05, 2010 12:00AM

GOLD COAST chief executive Michael Searle yesterday declared the NRL had nothing to fear from the AFL as the nation's dominant football codes readied themselves for a bitter fight over broadcasting rights - and a potential billion-dollar pay day.

Reacting to NRL chief executive David Gallop's plan to begin broadcast negotiations almost a year ahead of schedule, Searle was one of several club bosses to admit they relished the thought of locking horns with the AFL.

Although the NRL's existing contract runs until the end of 2012, Gallop told The Weekend Australian yesterday he was ready to commence talks with the television networks as soon as the federal government updated its anti-siphoning list, which could be within weeks.

"The AFL has the AFL grand final," Searle said.

"We have three State of Origin games and a grand final - we have four times the marquee products the AFL has.

"Throw in Test matches, it is clear rugby league has far more product of an elite nature than AFL has.

"David clearly feels very comfortable going head to head with them and I agree. I don't see any reason why we should fear the AFL."

Asked about going head-to-head with the AFL, which has raised the prospect of securing a five-year deal worth $1 billion by September, South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson said: "I don't think that makes it difficult. I have no problem with testing the water to see where we are. If it's not good enough we can back off."

The bullish approach of club chief executives was given credence yesterday by television figures obtained by The Weekend Australian.

This year alone:

► Rugby league has 44 of the top 94 shows on subscription television - the AFL has only 20;

► Rugby league has six of the top 10 shows on subscription television - the AFL has none;

► The round 11 NRL clash between Parramatta and Cronulla, which attracted more than 300,000 viewers, remains the biggest event on subscription television NRL this year.

The game has also enjoyed healthy ratings on free-to-air television despite a 9 per cent drop across that market in the wake of the introduction of new multi-channels.

After 10 rounds, average ratings on free-to-air television in Sydney - the nation's biggest market - were up two per cent. Although they were slightly down in Brisbane, State of Origin has broken records.

The only stumbling block to securing a deal before the end of this year is the formation of the independent commission, although officials remain hopeful that can be up and running by November 1.

"The facts don't lie," Searle said. "You compare the two products as a TV product and you compare the results, rugby league wins hands down."

Canberra chief executive Don Furner added: "We probably didn't get what we deserved the last time. Anything that could be passed down to the clubs, which would ultimately be passed to the players, would be great.

"You just look at the television ratings - our results are outstanding. As most people acknowledge, AFL is very good live . . . but our game is perfect for television. The ratings show that."

The NRL's desire to advance television talks has only been enhanced by the ongoing complaints of players and clubs, who are crying out for more funds to remain viable and ward off the threat of rugby union, and more recently, the AFL.

"If it has the potential to bring more money into the game sooner rather than later and in a way that benefits the players, I am obviously supportive of that," RLPA chief executive David Garnsey said.

"The imperative, however, should not just be to do the deal, it must be to do the best deal possible."

On going head to head with AFL, Garnsey said: "If the AFL is already, or is shortly to be, in the market, it would make more sense to be going head to head with the AFL rather than waiting, so we are talking to the full range of potential bidders instead of a possibly reduced field later on."

beads6

First Grade
Problem is the Nuffies running the NRL don't know what they are doing...

LESStar58

Referee
We've all said it many times before; keep Gallop away from negotiating the TV rights.

Top form from Searle as per usual!

Doug2234

First Grade
anti siphoning limits how much they can get... fox cant offer huge $$$ for full rights and drive up the price as by law a FTA network has to show the NRL, thus offering less $$$ and there is nothing that can be done...

a shame really.

applesauce

Bench
anti siphoning limits how much they can get... fox cant offer huge $$$ for full rights and drive up the price as by law a FTA network has to show the NRL, thus offering less $$$ and there is nothing that can be done...

a shame really.

We could come out the winner....;-)

A sizeable chunk of the $1 billion bonanza the AFL hopes to win for broadcasting rights could move to the NRL, following expected changes to the federal government's anti-siphoning laws, which will generally favour the cash-challenged, free-to-air TV networks.

The AFL, which programs its anticipated best-four matches each week to free-to-air TV and the remaining four to pay TV, wants the freedom to schedule matches in order to win maximum dollars from both free and pay broadcasters.

If the federal government insists the top-four matches are shown on free-to-air TV, it is unlikely Channel Nine, whose priority is NRL, would outbid the existing Seven-Ten rights holders, which are more cashed-up.

Nor would the bottom-four matches be attractive to Nine, leaving monopoly pay-TV network, Foxtel, as the only bidder, a lose-lose situation for the AFL.

Link

Johns Magic

Referee
► The round 11 NRL clash between Parramatta and Cronulla, which attracted more than 300,000 viewers, remains the biggest event on subscription television NRL this year.

Parra-Cronulla? The last game I'd pick.

Big Pete

Referee
A few circumstances played into that.

The horrible weather.

And it being the only NRL footy game on that night.

Still surprising.

Fui!!!

Juniors
2 things:

1) Searle has to be the next NRL CEO.

2) Seems everyone wanted to see the Sharks beat us :lol:

Doomednow

Bench
I'm not a businessman but how successful would this argument be?...

Say an FTA channel is really keen to purchase the rights but doesn't want to offer quite what we are asking. Could they be persuaded that a higher initial investment by them would swell the money in the game, which would in turn create a trickle down effect improving the product and therefore overall ratings and viewership?

Just a thought. Probably not worth the risk for the buyer, right?

_Johnsy

Referee
As per usual I am almost expecting the NRL to far this up. Honestly our game has been run like a head case for the past 20=30 years & our game has still grown. The sooner we get a professional body to administer our game the better.

intentcity

First Grade
not scared? wanting to lock horns with the AFL, what a joke of an artical, possibly one of the most biased articals ive ever read, for staters he forgets to mention that in the big TV market "FTA", AFL rule, thats where the money is, also, AFL PAYTV games go head to head with other AFL FTA games, AFL outrate league on a veiwer per hour % on pay TV overall, but he forgets to mention that, yes AFL dont have origin and tests, but they do have a game that goes for an hour longer, they also have the irish games that rate well, also regarding pay TV, pay TV get the dread games, they dont get the collingwood/essendon games live all that often, i think collingwood areon live pay 2 times this year.

im sick and tired of these officials coming out bagging a rival sport, saying they arnt afraid of the rivals product blah blah blah, if they wernt afraid, they wouldnt feel the need to say anything..

the NRL need to forget about what the AFL get, the games are completly different and probably even more different from a broacasters point of veiw.

Evenflow

Bench
2 things:

1) Searle has to be the next NRL CEO.

yeah, lets hand over the reins to the entire league of 16 clubs (even more in future) to a bloke when he runs his own club into debt to the tune of $20 odd million give or take. Smart move that one.......:sarcasm:

El Diablo

Post Whore
not scared? wanting to lock horns with the AFL, what a joke of an artical, possibly one of the most biased articals ive ever read, for staters he forgets to mention that in the big TV market "FTA", AFL rule, thats where the money is, also, AFL PAYTV games go head to head with other AFL FTA games, AFL outrate league on a veiwer per hour % on pay TV overall, but he forgets to mention that, yes AFL dont have origin and tests, but they do have a game that goes for an hour longer, they also have the irish games that rate well, also regarding pay TV, pay TV get the dread games, they dont get the collingwood/essendon games live all that often, i think collingwood areon live pay 2 times this year.

im sick and tired of these officials coming out bagging a rival sport, saying they arnt afraid of the rivals product blah blah blah, if they wernt afraid, they wouldnt feel the need to say anything..

the NRL need to forget about what the AFL get, the games are completly different and probably even more different from a broacasters point of veiw.

the fear is strong in this one

intentcity

First Grade
the fear is strong in this one

mate, did you even read the artical? maybe you should have another look at it, i couldnt give a flying F who gets what in the next deal, but stupid people and biased journos annoy the crap out of me, what i find worse is when peopole actually beleive the crap they read in articals like this.

nqcowboy87

Bench
mate, did you even read the artical? maybe you should have another look at it, i couldnt give a flying F who gets what in the next deal, but stupid people and biased journos annoy the crap out of me, what i find worse is when peopole actually beleive the crap they read in articals like this.

dude, this is a rugby league forum, for fans of rugby league, if you want to consistently talk up afl, while putting the boot into rugby league, i reckon you should join an afl forum

Last edited:

Greenbits

Juniors

Bit hypocrytical in a week were the AFL signed a star player from a rival code in a transparent attempt to undermine/destabilise said rival code.

This article is the result of the AFLs actions - did you expect the NRL to just bend over and take it?

Latest posts