What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's next for the NRL hot seat?

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s been a month since Greenberg was given the boot and there has been a few names thrown around. Abdo seems to be in the driving seat as Vlandys likes him, and whatever Vlandys wants Vlandys gets at the moment. Other names thrown around include Gould and Richardson, highly unlikely, and Broncos CEO Paul White (though if ceo salary cuts are to be believed he would have to take a pay cut!).

is there anyone else in club land who would make a good ceo?

Also I can’t see Vlandys being around next year so who becomes next Chair? Wayne Pearce seems to be taking on more responsibilities, maybe he will be next?

Why wouldn't PVL be there next year?
Once this current crap is all settled down he will probably drift off into the background.
If a good replacement is found then he will have far less to do .
The current situation is one in a million so he has to be doing plenty .
Pearce..f**k no .

Cactus

Juniors
imagine how good he would have been with media support.

Pretty hard not to have a sense of opportunity missed.

The stranglehold the media have had on RL must end at some point surely. All things change eventually. Just hope its before my last hit up.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Why wouldn't PVL be there next year?
Once this current crap is all settled down he will probably drift off into the background.

Because V'landys loves his horse racing. V'landys was here to implement change forced by News Corp and their desire to kill off the digital arm which was seen as competition to their interests.
The pandemic brought on Greenberg's demise sooner, he was always gone.

No coincidence that Foxtel have conveniently acquired a 4 or 5 year extension on their deal with the NRL and they are praising V'landys as the Messiah.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Pretty hard not to have a sense of opportunity missed.

The stranglehold the media have had on RL must end at some point surely. All things change eventually. Just hope its before my last hit up.

Sorry to say but it has just got stronger under V;landys.

The game was attempting to break away under Smith, Grant and Greenberg. No coincidence they all left under the constant pressure/lies from the media.

That's why we need the digital arm to remain independent, however I don't think it will be as V'landys keeps referring to the partners and has lengthened the TV deal (using the threat of the pandemic to rush it through) when their is no need to.

I can’t see Vlandys leaving. This season he’s saved the sport. Next season he has the opportunity to make the sport. Make it number 1 in Australia.

I just can’t see such an operator like him leaving before that job is done. He led the campaign for Sydney Racing to take on the VRC in having the number one racing carnival in Oz, when most south of the border were scoffing and laughing sitting in their ivory towers. That job isn’t over yet, but with the likes of the Everest and other initiatives it’s breathing down the VRCs neck... and the Melbourne cup - jewel in the VRC crown, is fast losing its lustre..

I can’t see him leaving Racing, and I can’t see him leaving league, until he’s done the job in both.

Re CEO, I think they’ll stick with Abdo all this year and unless he completely coughs up a turd, will stay on next year.

flippikat

Bench
I can’t see Vlandys leaving. This season he’s saved the sport. Next season he has the opportunity to make the sport. Make it number 1 in Australia.

How on earth can he make the sport number 1 in Australia when the game takes token games to Perth & the prospect of any live top-level league in Adelaide is sporadic at best?

Perth Red

Post Whore
How on earth can he make the sport number 1 in Australia when the game takes token games to Perth & the prospect of any live top-level league in Adelaide is sporadic at best?

with Vlandys statements like “stop wasting money on rusted on afl states” we’ve got as much chance of being Australis number one footy code as I have of getting the ceo job!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
we’ve got as much chance of being Australis number one footy code as I have of getting the ceo job!
V’Landys: “Good lord, what is happening in there?!

Perth Red: Aurora Australis.

V’Landys
: Ah- Aurora Australis!? At this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, localised entirely within Western Australia!?

Perth Red
: Yes.

V’Landys
: ...May I see it?

Perth Red
: ...No.

T-Boon

Coach

The goal should be to make it the number 1 sport in the pacific. East coast, NZ etc.

taipan

Referee
Sorry to say but it has just got stronger under V;landys.

The game was attempting to break away under Smith, Grant and Greenberg. No coincidence they all left under the constant pressure/lies from the media.

That's why we need the digital arm to remain independent, however I don't think it will be as V'landys keeps referring to the partners and has lengthened the TV deal (using the threat of the pandemic to rush it through) when their is no need to.

Wait a minute Greenberg for a start was praised initially by the media, as being one who can work with all clubs as he is liked by just about every one.
Grant also as being a former International rl player, with experience in the data industry.

Smith like V'Landys was a law unto himself.He Smith knew little about the NRL, and how the media operates.Going solo to Nine didn't help the Tv deal.Im also seeing and hearing criticism from SMH and News journos of V'Landys going solo on refs and 6 against .

The AFL have had CEOs who were involved in their game.It appears to have helped.

Pretty hard to break away from the media, when a greater % of your revenue is broadcast.I don't agree with it, but them's the realities.

And guess what down the line, the media will tire of V'Landys and he will be in their firing line.

The economy according to financial experts, have indicated it will take 10 years to get back to any sort of normality.If a code wants to plan for development, possible expansion they need long term certainty not a two or three year deal.Foxtel pays the most money.
I agree with not extending the Nine deal, because both 10 and 7 are interested.