What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are we playing like sh*t?

philstorm

Juniors
Despite being 5-0 now, most Storm fans would probably agree with me when they say we're playing like sh*t.

We are making so many uncharacteristic errors (See Whitey tonight)

Our backs seems to have lost their 'spark' (bar Slater)

And we just miss that cohesion that we seemed to have last year.

What's going on?!

mattyg

Bench
its round 5 mate, cool it. Last year it wasn't till like Round 10 when we (the doggies) started to hit anything near full form...and we ended up coming 2nd. No matter how poor you think you might be playing, you have a 5/5 record already. Another 7-8 wins should secure you a place in the 8. The best teams take a while to settle in IMO. Its been the case since i can remember...

Relax...I admit that they are not piling on the points and killing other teams. Storm are a marked team now and all clubs will be out to topple them which makes it a lot more tougher than last year.

GI will take time to settle into his new possie; yes White, Cross etc will drop a few passes here and there but this is a result of the boys ability to play the game at a fast pace.

Come finals time these little errors will be gone and the boys will be firing...there is a long way to go but Bellamy is clever and will slowly get the boys up to the standard of 06.

Jasestorm

Juniors
Our attack is disjointed because of a new, inexperienced player at 5/8. Other players have to get used to his style of play and that will take time. It now shows how valuable Scott Hill was to our attack in years past. Some people took it for granted.

Defense is what wins premierships, and that is still watertight. Our attack will come together, they just need to learn a bit of patience and stop trying too hard.

Molly

Juniors
Ive been watching since 98, and I think we have always been a side guilty of turnovers. Scotty Hill is missed, no doubt (it hurts me to say that..). Also, defense hase changed this year, I am seeing more and more swarming defensive lines, especially up at the halves, so we need to find ways to counter it.

BTW, I am starting to think Billy may well be a better 5/8 than Greggy.

We just havent really played a side yet who have been lazy around the rucks.

We are going along nicely enough, and there is a blowout or two in our favour coming soon.

Rather play crappy and win than play well and lose.

cronker

Juniors
When you have a team that performed so well last season, your opponents are going to spend more time working out plans of attack against you. This is what I'm seeing this year.

Teams are going to work out your defensive game and attack differently. Storm have to have new plays and tactics to counter them.

5 out of 5 is still the best result we could hope for obviously, so lets see how the season pans out before we start thinking we are playing like s**t

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
You showed what you are capable of in the first 20 min against the Warriors... as long as you can turn that on when needed and keep winning I wouldn't be too worried.

cronker said:
When you have a team that performed so well last season, your opponents are going to spend more time working out plans of attack against you. This is what I'm seeing this year.

Teams are going to work out your defensive game and attack differently. Storm have to have new plays and tactics to counter them.

5 out of 5 is still the best result we could hope for obviously, so lets see how the season pans out before we start thinking we are playing like s**t

Exactly...if anyone thought it was going to be easy this year then they are kidding themselves...look at the Broncos.;-)

Matty P

Juniors
I wouldn't say were playing sh*t as such but we're certainly not playing to our true potential. The new halves combination and the forwards not having as big an impact as usual isn't helping us at the moment.

Juniors
the reason our defensive line is looking a touch more scattered and vulnerable this year is because scott hill was a lock playin 5/8, he would always make 25+ tackles a game and not kill himself doing it, maybe we need to go back to square one, lay most the ball playing and attack on cronk and slaters shoulders, get inglis back on the back of that line hitting holes with kingy, turner, folau and co. and throw mick crocker back into 5/8, as u all know he can break the line and pop a pass, but he holds us together in the middle too, i think the side will look alot more solid at full strength if we went with a team like:

1. Slater
2. Turner
3. King
4. Inglis
5. Folau
6. Crocker
7. Cronk
8. Kaufusi
9. C.Smith (c)
10. White
11. Hoffman
12. J.Smith
13. Johnson

14. Geyer
15. Blair
16. Cross
17. Tagatease

and let quinn fight his way into our line up with good form in the lowers like every other player had to. Matt geyer will be an excellent utility, i mean they call him Mr Versatility but he never seems to be a bench utility...

Earl

Coach
I think we have to get used to the idea of Greg Inglis at 5/8. Craig Bellamy said the other day he is extremely happy with the way he is progressing and doesn't plan in shifting him anytime soon.

As for us being 5-0 while playing poorly. IMO its a far better position to be in than say a team like Manly, who are playing out of their skin, and have the exact same record as Melbourne.

Once the boys fitness levels pick up, and our discipline and ball security problems are rectified, we will really hit top gear going into the right time of the season.

Earl said:
I think we have to get used to the idea of Greg Inglis at 5/8. Craig Bellamy said the other day he is extremely happy with the way he is progressing and doesn't plan in shifting him anytime soon.

As for us being 5-0 while playing poorly. IMO its a far better position to be in than say a team like Manly, who are playing out of their skin, and have the exact same record as Melbourne.

Once the boys fitness levels pick up, and our discipline and ball security problems are rectified, we will really hit top gear going into the right time of the season.

Agree..look at Wayne Bennett they are never at the top during the normal comp each year but are always in the top 8 and time their run to perfection. Bellamy will do the same this year !!.

cronker

Juniors
Inglis at 5/8 is a given. Bellamy isn't going to move him, and it makes sense. Give him the time he needs to truly learn the position and he will become very potent there.

Lucas

Juniors
Crocker at 6? :D

Agreed with whoever said we aren't playing like sh*t yet we aren't at full potential yet either. It will be a combination of getting everyone fit again, and having everyone play together more to develop that cohesion that will get us there. Patience is required, but it will be so worth it.

Latest posts