What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why didn't the Storm players cooperate with the investigators???

Prop Forward

Juniors
If they really had not done anything wrong, they should have allowed assisted Deloitte in any way they could.

They refused to cooperate...

Correct me if I am wrong, but this suggests that some players indeed knew.

thorson1987

Coach
I heard that they were going to sign confidentiality clauses but News LTD wouldnt, therefore everything would have been leaked. If they were at another club completely seperate from News LTD they may have.

perverse

Referee
any answers to this question could only be pure speculation given what we know as fact thus far.

it does look extremely suspect, though... and people will assume the worst until they co-operate and clear their own names. the fact that they all wouldn't want to do this voluntarily does admittedly set alarm bells off.

badav

Bench
If they really had not done anything wrong, they should have allowed assisted Deloitte in any way they could.

They refused to cooperate...

Correct me if I am wrong, but this suggests that some players indeed knew.

No it doesn't.

A better way to think of it is, why would you put your involve yourself in such a process when your not compelled to do so. There is far more potential for things to go badly, than good - innocent or guilty.

Just because you choose not to, is no clear indication of guilt.

thorson1987

Coach
No it doesn't.

A better way to think of it is, why would you put your involve yourself in such a process when your not compelled to do so. Just because you choose not to, is no clear indication of guilt.

this.

And the fans have no right to know what the players earn.

The only people who need to know that are the players, club officials and the ATO.

gronkathon

First Grade
I think some bad advice from a group of player managers covering their own arses would have been a factor in all of this to

Evenflow

Bench
No it doesn't.

A better way to think of it is, why would you put your involve yourself in such a process when your not compelled to do so. There is far more potential for things to go badly, than good - innocent or guilty.

Stop wasting your time talking sense. The knuckle dragging neanderthals can't possibly process it.

Eels Dude

Coach
To me this says "we knew all about it". If they had nothing to hide why not just tell the truth? Then there would be no speculation whasoever about their involvement the whole thing. By not talking, there still is, and its even stronger.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
No it doesn't.

A better way to think of it is, why would you put your involve yourself in such a process when your not compelled to do so.

But they were compelled to do so

There is far more potential for things to go badly, than good - innocent or guilty.

And if they were innocent they have totally cleared themselves and their mates

Nor is it a clear indication of innocence

Doomednow

Bench
Regardless of whether they are innocent or guilty, the fact they refused to cooperate paints them with suspicion. There will always be an opinion out there they knowing cheated, and that will last as long as they refuse to clear their name, or at least as long as they remain at Melbourne Storm. I thinks its a blessing in disguise for all the lower tiered players to have been "let go" to otehr clubs - they can begin to distance themselves from the whole thing. The "big 4", whom the club has decided to keep and would have been eating up most of those undeclared payments, have decided they want to stick together at their club, and as long as they are there and together they will be seen as cheats.

All of this could have been avoided if they had just cooperated. Unless of course, you know, if they had cooperated they would have been proven to have been aware.

manly40gimps0

Juniors

The players are employees of News LTD so why didn't News tell them to cooperate or find an other job.

_snafu_

Immortal
this.

The only people who need to know that are the players, club officials and the ATO.

Deloittes would have the paperwork and contracts to show who was getting what in terms of money. Otherwise how would they know by how much the Storm rorted the cap?

They don't need the players cooperation to get that information.

The investigation was also directed to who knew what and when. This is clear from the findings. The players chose not to cooperate in this respect - so a cloud will remain over their knowledge of the breaches until they cooperate.

Coaster

Bench
If I was a player, I would not say a thing either unless It was to the police, why incriminate yourself to an auditor? Unless allegations are made against you, the smart thing to do would be to keep as quiet as possible.

There is serious issues here, tax fraud is more serious then Gallop taking your ring.

this.

Add to that:

• the NRL - to police the salary cap
  • News Ltd - as the club's owners who are ultimately paying a fair chunk of the wages bill
But, you are correct, the fans have no right to know. This could have been handled by non-disclosure agreements between players, agents and Deloittes.

No it doesn't.

NRL and News screwed up by not compelling co-operation. They should have insisted from the outset that future participation in the NRL by the club and individual players, coaches and officials is conditional on full co-operation with any investigation and full disclosure of any wrongdoing. In doing so, they could have done something like offer amnesty for co-operating people from any further inidvidual penalties that the NRL might otherwise be able to impose.

joseph1

Juniors
Until they clear their names, in my mind theyre all guilty. And i hate them for it and wish them the best misfortune for bringing the game into disrepute.

badav

Bench

Compelled by what? I don't believe there is any compulsion by law requiring the players to participate in interviews during the audit process.

I personally don't believe you were going to get a clear indication of innocence whether the players sat interviews or not. So it would make sense for them not to.

badav

Bench
The players are employees of News LTD so why didn't News tell them to cooperate or find an other job.

Because aside from wide ranging legal issues of doing that, firing the players mentioned for not co-operating would be totally against the best interest of News Ltd, because it would turn the clubs playing roster into a joke.

bartman

Immortal
The players will be tainted forever due to their lack of cooperation and openness about it all. Very narrow minded approach by the entire group.

Hope the ATO gets them all heavily.