What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do people hate on Mitchell Pearce

Lucas-Con

Juniors
A legit question.

Me personally I think hes a great player he is one of the toughest halves always giving it his all in games and yet people constantly rag on him.

So legit answers away

perverse

Referee
Something about disappointing an entire state with the stark regularity that only gravity, death and taxes can come close to matching.

perverse

Referee
Oh, and obligatory...

2ictr_zps586d71ba.gif

POPEYE

Coach
I don't think anyone that matters hates the bloke . . . especially not his fellow players

perverse

Referee
I don't hate Pearce really, I hate the selectors and coaches that keep picking him before a ball has been kicked for origin year after year despite not showing a single modicum of ability at that level in what.. 11 games? 12 games?

f**k.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Yes, it is the selectors' fault .... they continue to pick a player who continues to prove he is not up to it. Braindead fools.

I don't think anyone could accuse Pearce of a lack of effort in Origin ... he always gives it everything he has. It's just that he doesn't have anywhere near enough to be worth persisting with.

That said, I have heard heaps of stories about Pearce out on the town over the years, and the way he behaves .... not a lot of nice things to say on that front.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I don't hate Mitchell Pearce, I just don't like that fact that he's the NSW #7 - he's failed at that time and time again. Now, I'm not saying that Adam Reynold or Hokko can do a better job, I'm just saying I think that he's not the type (yet) for the big games.

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
Because he isnt good enough to beat a QLD team with the best 5 players in the world.

It's ridiculous, the guy is NSW's best half and it's not even close. The fact he isnt good enough to beat a QLD team with Smith, Cronk, JT, GI and Slater doesnt change the fact he's still the best NSW have got

But people just want to see NSW win and until they do they'll blame the halfback and selectors and who ever else they want to blame. When the reality is QLD are simply too good and will likely remain too good until such a time where the best 5 players on the field arent all playing for QLD.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
^^^Pretty much this. I've never bought into the Mitchell Pearce hate. If there was a half in NSW that was better, then he would be selected.

Most halves in contention for NSW have had a shot at some stage and haven't been able to dominate QLD. Reynolds is probably the only one who hasn't had a shot but look how he's been shown up.

Rod

Bench
Good club player, very good even.

Not up to Origin standard, and has proved it across multiple years and Origin series. Absolutely fair enough that he was given a crack at Origin, even fair enough that he has been given an extended one, but at some point you just have to cut your losses and move on to the next bloke. It's extremely ironic that the NSW selectors, normally more than happy to drop a player at the drop of a hat, seem unable to admit they're wrong on such an obvious case like Pearce.

If Pearce had been given 3 series to establish himself but so too had Carney, then there wouldn't be as much frustration because that isn't a hypocritical selection plan. But Carney, potentially a much more damaging Origin half than Pearce if sheer talent is anything to go on, is given the flick after just 3 games while Pearce is still an automatic pick. Pearce doesn't get crap for being unable to beat Queensland, he's gets crap because he gets a free ride into the team every year while no one else gets the same privilege. It's the blatant double standard that gets people pissed off.

That's why he's such a touchy subject that gets peoples frustrations boiling over. Quite a different thing from actively hating the bloke himself I think.

Lucas-Con

Juniors
Probably because if his name was Mitchell Smith, he'd be playing RMC Cup.

And this right here is ignorance at his highest him in first grade has nothing to do with his last name there are a lot of players who are second or third generation that are not in first grade because there not good enough.

Fittler and Joey 2 of NSW greatest are constantly singing his praises is he the most creative half in the world no I won't ever say he is but from he is getting better and better and unlike Wallace or Reynolds he's got a premiership.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Because he isnt good enough to beat a QLD team with the best 5 players in the world.

It's ridiculous, the guy is NSW's best half and it's not even close. The fact he isnt good enough to beat a QLD team with Smith, Cronk, JT, GI and Slater doesnt change the fact he's still the best NSW have got

But people just want to see NSW win and until they do they'll blame the halfback and selectors and who ever else they want to blame. When the reality is QLD are simply too good and will likely remain too good until such a time where the best 5 players on the field arent all playing for QLD.

These 5 players that you mention don't make him constantly kick the ball down the full backs throat. These 5 players don't make him consistently take the wrong option in attack.

For the record, I blame the selectors more than I blame Mitchell Pearce.

Dave_

Juniors
The hate for him will die down once Carney and Mullen are selected together for NSW and he just sticks to stinking it up for the Roosters.

Good competitor, no skill.

Tayjack

Juniors
It's a great question Lucas con, but from lurking on this forum for a while now and contributing as of now, reading back through most threads I can see possibly just a few who know what they are talking About re this game. All I see is this crap like "eat a f**kin dick your shit" or this bloke is shit, or he has no idea what his doing? Or that bitch is gunna lose- like seriously are we in a kindergarten forum here- what the hell is all that crap about??? I would suspect that these types would never have laced a boot on, or played at some sort of serious level, because if they did they would understand that Pearce is the best 7 in NSW by a country mile, the bloke is that tough and does so much off the ball that these types would not even know what they are looking at let alone what that means.

So to your question, he is by far and away the best 7 we have.