What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do people hate on Mitchell Pearce

gronkathon

First Grade
I honestly dont care. SOO is such a f**king shit time of year these days. The papers go crazy, fans become idiots, and the beat up is absurd. I like the games, if i could have my way, the teams would get picked and everyone would just STFU about it and we'd just enjoy a good game

I dont have a dog in this race, the SOO thing gives me the shits. But blues fans thinking a change of halfback from Pearce to any other eligable NSW halfback, will result in a change of fortunes, are absolutely living in denial.

Pick Pearce, or dont pick Pearce. It doesnt matter and i dont really care. He's the best NSW has got IMO, and he's not good enough because the QLD team hosts the best 5 players in the world and 5-10 of the next best 20.

To be fair NSW need to dominate in the forwards to win.

Even in those game Pearce has been a passenger for mine.

He is a fine club level player, no doubt sticking to a predetermined structure and doing what is required. He does not have that spark required to take advantage of forwards winning the battle however.

Regardless that is a month or so away from mattering

DJShaksta

First Grade
He's been given more chances than anyone in NSW history. The only thing he is consistent at is losing. He's an above average first grade halfback but has never been, is not and will never be origin material.

Perfect analysis.

Oh fugg me I'm agreeing with Bunniesman.

Springs

First Grade
Club 7s better than Pearce - Cherry-Evans, Cronk, A. Reynolds, Kelly, Johnson, Wallace. Luke Brooks will soon be better rated as well and Hodkinson is about on par.

Club five-eighths who can play 7 better than Pearce - Thurston, Carney, Foran, Mullen, Widdop, Maloney, Soward.

So, ignoring the disgrace that saw Soward and Carney dropped before Pearce was, I'd say Reynolds, Kelly, Wallace, Carney, Mullen and Soward deserve just as many shots at the NSW 7 jersey as Pearce does, and since Pearce has already has 12 god damn shots to do something and has done nothing, I'd give any of them priority over Pearce this year.

rabbitohs95

Bench
I just want them to pick players that are in form. That's been our problem the last few years, we always stick with players who have been there and done that, but not brought up a team where the true majority are in form. Sure, you need the key players from previous years but seriously how some players who manage to stay in the team (Such as Pearce) who have had no club form nor succeeded on the Origin stage baffles me.

Can't really say any NSW based half has impressed me so far, but in saying that it's only Round 4. Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong though.

MrAnonymous

Bench
Club 7s better than Pearce - Cherry-Evans, Cronk, A. Reynolds, Kelly, Johnson, Wallace. Luke Brooks will soon be better rated as well and Hodkinson is about on par.

Club five-eighths who can play 7 better than Pearce - Thurston, Carney, Foran, Mullen, Widdop, Maloney, Soward.

So, ignoring the disgrace that saw Soward and Carney dropped before Pearce was, I'd say Reynolds, Kelly, Wallace, Carney, Mullen and Soward deserve just as many shots at the NSW 7 jersey as Pearce does, and since Pearce has already has 12 god damn shots to do something and has done nothing, I'd give any of them priority over Pearce this year.

:lol::lol:

He is the 3rd best Halfback in Australia and its not even close.
merkins need to stop dribbling shit. Its getting old now.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Making players earn selection would be a nice start. I'm sick and tired of Daley (and Stuart before him) talking about proven losers as selection certainties IN FEBRUARY. At least try to go into the season with an open mind.

newman

First Grade
Oh, and obligatory...

2ictr_zps586d71ba.gif

I've never really analysed that play too much because I'm over origin, but lord above that's bad. He kicks wide to Morris, they score. He passes out the back to the sweep runner, they score. He passes long to Morris, they score. What I cant work out is why he attempts to grubber when Slater is in position? Wowsers.

Playing at rep level should be earnt .
Not an automatic selection because of your name ,or the SOO coach has a massive hard on for a player.

Pearce is no where near rep level..
Any half playing rep level footy should have a decent to good/very good kicking game.

Pearce has a kicking game on par with an un 14 player..
He cant even get a repeat set in 3 games .

Prob the most overated player I have seen in yrs.

& before the Rorter fans say he has a premiership ring..
So does Shane Perry.

In the grand final Sir Mitchell Pearce pulled off the biggest play when we needed him the most :cool: that's all that matters.

Playing at rep level should be earnt .
Not an automatic selection because of your name ,or the SOO coach has a massive hard on for a player.

Pearce is no where near rep level..
Any half playing rep level footy should have a decent to good/very good kicking game.

Pearce has a kicking game on par with an un 14 player..
He cant even get a repeat set in 3 games .

Prob the most overated player I have seen in yrs.

& before the Rorter fans say he has a premiership ring..
So does Shane Perry.

Rep player he might not be. Kicking game of an under 14's player shows how mentally geniused you are. You should stick to arguing about AFL and TV ratings.

LatK7

First Grade
I've never really analysed that play too much because I'm over origin, but lord above that's bad. He kicks wide to Morris, they score. He passes out the back to the sweep runner, they score. He passes long to Morris, they score. What I cant work out is why he attempts to grubber when Slater is in position? Wowsers.

I figured he would have played to his strengths...and passed it. I rate his passing game. Very good.

Anyway, I don't hate Pearce and most here don't. I think every NSW fan is just frustrated with the constant losses and changing of the halves. Mullen, Soward, Carney etc were all dropped, yet Pearce survives despite showing no distinct improvement in years gone by. I will concede to him playing well in Game I and II in 2011, but even then no stand out play. Soward even showed him how it was done in just his second game.

Noname36

First Grade
I don't hate Pearce. I hate that the NSW selectors and the gronks in the media can't see that he's nothing more than a solid club half. There's nothing wrong with that, most clubs need a solid half, but he keeps getting a free ride to Origin every single f**king year when there's a lot more talented and deserving players that are constantly overlooked in favour of him.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Agree with most of the sentiments from those re Pearce on good at club level but can't step up to SoO...

Just to throw another half back in the mix although I think at least another season is needed, I am becoming an increasing fan of Tyrone Roberts development as a half back. Even in a side where he is missing a decent 5/8 this year(until Mullen's gets back on the park) his growth over the backend of 2013 and what he is showing this year is really showing a maturity beyond his years and experience.

I am a Knights fan but I wouldn't have said this at the same time last year because I didn't see what I am seeing now...Bennett's mentoring has certainly had a great influnece on him (and Mullen for that matter)

Noname36

First Grade
Agree with most of the sentiments from those re Pearce on good at club level but can't step up to SoO...

Just to throw another half back in the mix although I think at least another season is needed, I am becoming an increasing fan of Tyrone Roberts development as a half back. Even in a side where he is missing a decent 5/8 this year(until Mullen's gets back on the park) his growth over the backend of 2013 and what he is showing this year is really showing a maturity beyond his years and experience.

I am a Knights fan but I wouldn't have said this at the same time last year because I didn't see what I am seeing now...Bennett's mentoring has certainly had a great influnece on him (and Mullen for that matter)

I've got a world of time for Roberts but I think he'd get killed in Origin. He really throws his body on the line in defence for his size, but could you imagine the likes of Inglis running at him all game? It would be horrific IMO. I'm also unconvinced about his long kicking game at the moment.

Tommy Smith

Referee

You're either a comedian or a raving lunatic.

Reynolds, Wallace, a 19 year old Brooks with 5 FG games, Hodgkinson?

REYNOLDS?!?!

REYNOLDS?!?!?!

He'll probably be in reserve grade when Keary comes back.

Springs

First Grade
You're either a comedian or a raving lunatic.

Reynolds, Wallace, a 19 year old Brooks with 5 FG games, Hodgkinson?

REYNOLDS?!?!

REYNOLDS?!?!?!

He'll probably be in reserve grade when Keary comes back.

And you are a biased Roosters fan who clearly hates Souths and has a hard on for Pearce :roll:
So much so you spent time in the Origin forum defending him despite claiming you don't give a shit about Origin.

Charlie124

First Grade
He's kicking down the fullbacks throat because the f**king fullback is Billy Slater or Greg Inglis, who are f**king incredible and very few if any halfbacks not named Cooper Cronk or Jonathan Thurston, are able to find ground against them

It has EVERYTHING to do with those 5 players

JT, Smith and Cronk are able to win the field position battle with their own kicking games, which means Pearce is kicking usually in bad spots and kicking to Inglis/Slater who both happen to be two of the best athletes and best positional fullbacks in the game and routinely take balls on the full or on the first bounce.
Honestly, how can anyone who watches RL say that having the games best halfback, five-eighth, fullback, centre and hooker doesnt have a huge impact on the ability of the opposition halfback to operate effectively?
Madness.

The reality is Mitchell Pearce is hated because he's not good enough to win SOO series. And the reason he isnt good enough is because the best 5 players in the game all play for QLD, and i'd argue 10-15 of the best 20 players play for QLD.
Until that changes, Pearce, Mullen, Reynolds, Carney, who ever else you want to try, they will fail.

It doesnt matter what NSW do, QLD will keep winning until such time that Cronk, Smith, JT, Slater and Inglis either retire, or slow down to a level where they arent the best 5 footballers on the field.
It's that simple.

That's the spirit!!!

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Don't hate him but hate his kicking game,after all these years all of his kicks still go straight down the throat of the opposition backs on the full,still hasn't learnt how to kick properly,does he even go to training? Carn Mitchell you have played like 150 games now

newman

First Grade
Making players earn selection would be a nice start. I'm sick and tired of Daley (and Stuart before him) talking about proven losers as selection certainties IN FEBRUARY. At least try to go into the season with an open mind.

Finally you are talking about a subject in which you have some expertise.

Red Bear

Referee
Wow, what's with the Reynold hate. Slow start to the year after two very solid initial seasons in first grade and he's rubbish? Souths will be better when Keary is back because they'll have someone at 5/8, Walker in centres and one of their spud 3/4's in reserve grade. Reynolds is a fine young halfback.

Pearce is a good club player. Hasn't made the most of his chances at origin level. Agree with Nick, alot of that is just how freakishly good this allignment of Qld players is.

Is surprising that Carney didn't get more of a shot, but maybe they just think he's a little soft