What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do the Brumbies out do the Raiders in crowd numbers?

dubby

Bench
I would be stoked to see 23k at a Raiders game, and so would you guys. Truth be told, we haven't had a crowd of that size for eons, i think Lauries last game was around that figure. So what is it? It certainly wasn't the opposition (Highlanders??), which makes me wonder, will they break the ground record when they play the Waratahs or the Blues?

Serious problems if the Raiders only get 13k to watch the Panthers, and the Eels were always a good crowd pulling team . I remember the day i was at Bruce when Ricky Stuart broke his leg, we had 20k plus. Who did we play ?? Parra !! Were the Eels a good side then? NO WAY!

What is happening in the ACT???

legend

Coach
The Brumbies only play six home games a year and we play double that. That is the main reason but there are other factors such as public perception, flavour of the month, form etc that would all contribute to the low crowd numbers.

I don't think the Canberra public are entirely convinced we can win the comp yet. Once they are, you'll see some large crowds like last year against the Dogs, Roosters and Broncos.

edabomb

First Grade
Cos Aussies are morons :lol: :lol: .joke. i think they have generally been considered a succesful franchise, while the raiders only began heading that way last season. also they only play at home 5-8 tiimes in a season, compared with the raiders 12 a year. also they generally win all their home games, which the raiders havent been doing recently. thats my 2cents worth

Raider_69

Post Whore
its a yuppie town with very few real supporters
the union attracts because it isnt a game, its a social event, no corpo knows what the game is about nor any of its stars

league is a different matter
same thing with the roosters and the tahs

BradtheRipper

Juniors
100% correct 69.
even when we win the premiership, i'm not going to let these f**king bandwagon jumping, free loaders support our club again. i'll picket outside bruce.
it's true, when we had the lean years and the brumbies won the two titles they all jumped ship.
yes the last descent crowd game was the farewell in 2000. and on that day it was alot like the corporate thing you described. i got stuck between two canberra cannon f**king basketball fans. and some posh yuppie girl with her 3 kids who showed up 5 mins after kickoff. they were constantly blocking my veiw, trying to settle in. then her kids coming and going for lollies and shit. she didn't even watch the game, so i confronted them about the special day for raiders fans, and when she had no idea. i told her and her kids to get f**ked! and i respect women but i don't know what you would call this bitch!

Stay Green!

Rohan

Juniors
There are number of factors but bottom line is that they have won more than us over the last couple of years.

Unfortunately their rise coincided with the Super League debacle however they do not have a better product and they have attracted fairweather fans (think Cannons, Cosmos) and as such will start to lose fans rapidly as soon they stop winning.

Long term once Gregan, Larkham et al retire I think they will have major problems retaining support and I am sure that if that occurs there will be pressure from the ARU to move them to a larger market ie Melbourne, Perth because in the current Super 12 structure they are limited to only 3 Australian teams.

I wouldnt worry about it at all, its only a matter of time before the Raiders reclaim their dominant position, as Union falls away from its peak and League hopefully gets back on its feet after 8 or so long years.

woodgers

Bench
Yuppie town. As you said 69 it is a social event. The corporates rock up in suits, the ones that pay are only there so they can tell their Public Servant mates that they attended the Union on the weekend. Anyone who attends a private school, especially Marist and Eddies in the A.C.T is pretty much forced to play union and not league so they have a slight interest. As said in a previous thread, outside of the Brumbies most fans can't name the other 11 teams. Most can't name the 15 who start for the Brumbies.

"Hoo-rah, now lets up and go for a old fashined lemonade at the country club"

Posh twats

Anonymous

Juniors
Has it ever occured to you that comments like that are what make union people hate league....?

I like them both, I went to a Union school btw, but I enjoy league more. I can name the other 11 teams (Brumbies, Reds, Sharks, Stormers, Cats, Bulls, Hurricanes, Crusaders, Blues, Chiefs and Highlanders. As you can tell, I'm a Waratahs supporter) and I can name the starting 15 for the Tahs.

There is a huge bias on both sides vs. the other supporters.

Paullyboy

Coach
Comments like the one I just read from BradtheRipper are disgusting. Fair enough you dont like who is sitting next to you - boo bloody hoo - we need to get bums on seats in order to see dollar signs.

Im disgraced at you Brad

thickos

First Grade
Brumbies, Reds, Sharks, Stormers, Cats, Bulls, Hurricanes, Crusaders, Blues, Chiefs and Highlanders

wouldn't have a clue where those mobs are from :roll: tribalism at its best! :lol:

union people hate league because they know its a better product and they wish they had the same passion from supporters in their game. I went for England in the RWC final because I hope RU in Australia 'dies on the vine' eventually. A lack of FTA TV exposure is a start :clap:

BTW 22 500 people turned up for Raiders-Chooks rd 26 last season, great day despite the loss.

BAY72

Juniors
There is a huge bias on both sides vs. the other supporters
There is nothing wrong with that. To be honest I HATE part time supporters!! And don't want people to just jump on the band wagon from union to league when the Raiders start doing well.

The down side to this is loss in revenue and over all crowed numbers, so I'd prefer to bite my tongue, have them spend their money and allow the Raiders Club to profit from it.

It's just a shame there isn't enough people in Canberra to adequately support both teams/codes. I don't support the Brumbies, never have, but it is a shame that I hate it when the Brumbies win. Because you know that there will be less supporters next week for the Raiders, and this continues until the Brumbies loose and the Raiders start to win. It's a SEE-SAW effect! The crowed just shift back and forth, while the teams go up and down the ladder.

woodgers

Bench
I went Marist and I hate the Bumboys

Tommy, you are an original guy i'll give you that. I suppose you like women also :lol:

Has it ever occured to you that comments like that are what make union people hate league....?

Who cares? League fans dislike Union and vice versa. The difference is that the Yawnion fans down here will try and force their "opinion" on what is a better code. Telling me that it is "real" rugby and not a thugs sport like our league. I do remind them of a certain Richard Lowe the bloody cheap eye gouger. Peter Fitzsimmons in the SMH spends his life bagging league. If it's such a great product how come it is not on free to air? Timbo, do you think if people like myself didn't give a little back the same yuppies would be more likely to watch a game of league? Never.

skeepe

Immortal
It seems I'm in the minority here in that I like both codes. I'm probably a bigger Raiders fan as they've been around longer, but I still try to watch most Brumbies games when I get the opportunity.

Thickos, you asked where "those mobs" are from, well here's a run-down :D
ACT Brumbies, NSW Waratahs, Queensland Reds, Auckland Blues, Canterbury Crusaders, Otago Highlanders, Waikato Chiefs, Coastal Sharks, Golden Cats, Western Stormers and Northern Bulls.

But that's not the point. I believe it is possible for people to like both, but I do get annoyed at those "supporters" who don't actually watch the matches, which I have seen at games in both codes. But then you need to think that these people are there increasing the revenue of the team that you support, so it's a double-edged sword in many ways I suppose.

The difference is that the Yawnion fans down here will try and force their "opinion" on what is a better code. Telling me that it is "real" rugby and not a thugs sport like our league.

So true, so very true. We have an electronic bulletin board type thing at work, and the Rugger supporters just go on and on about 'thugby league' etc etc. It's a joke really.

I go to the odd brumbies game, I am a sports fan so I go to sports if it's on. But if I had to choose, I know where my loyalty lies :)

burley griffin

Juniors
If we want to get crowds back then we are going to have to be successful over a number of years. If you remember back to the late 90s and early 00s, there was a period of about 2 or 3 years where the raiders averaged higher crowds than the Brumbies, even though the Brumbies had been far more successful. I think with this type of thing there is a bit of a lag, though the lag would be sped up significantly if the Brumbies started losing.

I think there needs to be something done on a promotional level too. The raiders were the team that gave Canberra a soul, whereas the Brumbies are a commercially manufactured piece of cardboard (much like many of their supporters). The fact that the majority of the Brumbies players actually live in Sydney speaks volumes for their artificiality. Maybe a tactful ad campaign that points this out would be nice (though i spose it could hardly be an official ad campaign).

Anonymous

Juniors
skeepe said:
It seems I'm in the minority here in that I like both codes. I'm probably a bigger Raiders fan as they've been around longer, but I still try to watch most Brumbies games when I get the opportunity.

Thickos, you asked where "those mobs" are from, well here's a run-down :D
ACT Brumbies, NSW Waratahs, Queensland Reds, Auckland Blues, Canterbury Crusaders, Otago Highlanders, Waikato Chiefs, Coastal Sharks, Golden Cats, Western Stormers and Northern Bulls.

But that's not the point. I believe it is possible for people to like both, but I do get annoyed at those "supporters" who don't actually watch the matches, which I have seen at games in both codes. But then you need to think that these people are there increasing the revenue of the team that you support, so it's a double-edged sword in many ways I suppose.

Agree completely skeepe.

By the way people who go on about people who like Union being stupid because they refer to league as 'Thugby League'-next time you say Yawnion think about that one.

Raider_69

Post Whore
The thing that i hate about union is its bullshit stop start crap. Once a team started getting on a roll the ref blows his gold thing and the painful process begins again.

Also hows the kick-a-thon? pass, pass, kick, kick, kick, kick, kick etc
and the pathetic saps cant even find open space, they throw it straight down the oppisitions throats!!

I can watch union if nothing else is on but i certainlly dont enjoy it, i would prefer to watch an AFL game rather than a union one. At least AFL has some sort of flow and i must admit some of the takes are something to behold

Union is definatly a bore feast

woodgers

Bench
By the way people who go on about people who like Union being stupid because they refer to league as 'Thugby League'-next time you say Yawnion think about that one.
I called it Yawnion and said their supporters call it a thugs game. Shif Happens said the Union fans call it Thugby League and never mentioned the word Yawnion.

Latest posts