What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do the Brumbies out do the Raiders in crowd numbers?

Edwahu

Bench
I remember reading last year that the Brumbies crowds consume about 3 times the alcohol the Raiders crowds do. Pretty much sums up the difference in the two crowds.

woodgers

Bench
I remember reading last year that the Brumbies crowds consume about 3 times the alcohol the Raiders crowds do. Pretty much sums up the difference in the two crowds.

WHAT! That is an outrage. Must be because of all the private boxes being full. I can't believe it, are you sure. They have to drink Tooheys New as well!

I can't stand them beating us at anything. Now I have a purpose in life. Say goodbye to the old liver.

Raider_69

Post Whore
screw the charity fellas, we will rasie money to out beer the Onion boys!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

greeneyed

First Grade
Timbo said:
Has it ever occured to you that comments like that are what make union people hate league....?

I like them both, I went to a Union school btw, but I enjoy league more. I can name the other 11 teams (Brumbies, Reds, Sharks, Stormers, Cats, Bulls, Hurricanes, Crusaders, Blues, Chiefs and Highlanders. As you can tell, I'm a Waratahs supporter) and I can name the starting 15 for the Tahs.

There is a huge bias on both sides vs. the other supporters.

The thing is noone knows where these other teams are actually from!!!! People know where the other Australian "Super" 12 teams are from, and maybe the Auckland Blues, but who knows where the rest of them are based???????? Noone. And who would care about a team called "Tahs"??? Really Timbo, come to your senses!!!!

And union people hate league.... Let me tell you about the history and why. The rugby union people went into massive hate mode against rugby league from the day of breakaway. The rugby union did everything in their power to destroy rugby league players and the code. They did nothing for the welfare of the players, unlike league, and this is why the players left union. The union administration are still at it. I dislike them intensely because they are still trying to destroy my team. It is a fact and I can't stand them.

greeneyed

First Grade
BAY25 said:
There is a huge bias on both sides vs. the other supporters
There is nothing wrong with that. To be honest I HATE part time supporters!! And don't want people to just jump on the band wagon from union to league when the Raiders start doing well.

The down side to this is loss in revenue and over all crowed numbers, so I'd prefer to bite my tongue, have them spend their money and allow the Raiders Club to profit from it.

It's just a shame there isn't enough people in Canberra to adequately support both teams/codes. I don't support the Brumbies, never have, but it is a shame that I hate it when the Brumbies win. Because you know that there will be less supporters next week for the Raiders, and this continues until the Brumbies loose and the Raiders start to win. It's a SEE-SAW effect! The crowed just shift back and forth, while the teams go up and down the ladder.

Honest, there are people at my workplace who say... "I am from Melbourne, and I don't know anything about "rugby" but I went to the Brumbies because I thought that is what people do here....".....

greeneyed

First Grade
burley griffin said:
If we want to get crowds back then we are going to have to be successful over a number of years. If you remember back to the late 90s and early 00s, there was a period of about 2 or 3 years where the raiders averaged higher crowds than the Brumbies, even though the Brumbies had been far more successful. I think with this type of thing there is a bit of a lag, though the lag would be sped up significantly if the Brumbies started losing.

I think there needs to be something done on a promotional level too. The raiders were the team that gave Canberra a soul, whereas the Brumbies are a commercially manufactured piece of cardboard (much like many of their supporters). The fact that the majority of the Brumbies players actually live in Sydney speaks volumes for their artificiality. Maybe a tactful ad campaign that points this out would be nice (though i spose it could hardly be an official ad campaign).

A very insightful post. I get so annoyed that Canberra people think that a mob of footballers who live here in a hotel for a couple of months are "ACT" players is totally ridiculous. The Brumbies are a total joke, but unfortunately until now a totally convincing one to the public.....

skeepe

Immortal
Greeneyed if you bothered to read all the posts you would have noticed where I stated where they all come from. People DO actually know these things, believe it or not.

Now, I can honestly see arguments from both sides because I enjoy both games. Super 12 outselling league isn't exclusive to Canberra. Up here in Sydney, most Waratah's games sell 30-35,000 tickets. April 24th's NSW vs ACT match was sold out a long time ago.

Auckland's Super 12 crowds are much bigger than the Warriors crowds. And so on. It has a lot to do with marketability and, like it or not, rugby league just isn't marketable with everything that is going on in the game at the moment. Suits just don't feel comfortable being seen at a game like that, which is unfortunate because I do believe that rugby league is the better sport of the two.

greeneyed

First Grade
skeepe said:
Greeneyed if you bothered to read all the posts you would have noticed where I stated where they all come from. People DO actually know these things, believe it or not.

Now, I can honestly see arguments from both sides because I enjoy both games. Super 12 outselling league isn't exclusive to Canberra. Up here in Sydney, most Waratah's games sell 30-35,000 tickets. April 24th's NSW vs ACT match was sold out a long time ago.

Auckland's Super 12 crowds are much bigger than the Warriors crowds. And so on. It has a lot to do with marketability and, like it or not, rugby league just isn't marketable with everything that is going on in the game at the moment. Suits just don't feel comfortable being seen at a game like that, which is unfortunate because I do believe that rugby league is the better sport of the two.

Waratahs games don't regularly sell over 30,000 tickets. 20-25,000 is the figure, I watch these things, and that is what the Roosters are getting as well at the moment. Two Australian Super 12s is different... they won't get 40,000 to that game though and never have. New Zealand is "different" and we all know that. But fact is New Zealand is a minor sports market compared to even the minor sports market that Australia is.....

skeepe

Immortal
greeneyed said:
Waratahs games don't regularly sell over 30,000 tickets. 20-25,000 is the figure.

Ah, I must have made the mistake of listening to the figures that the Sydney media are putting about. The thing is though, that the Waratahs are promoted more heavily up here than all of the NRL clubs combined. That is a big problem, one the NRL needs to look at immediately.

burley griffin

Juniors
Skeepe - to argue that the waratahs are more popular than rugby league in Sydney is ridiculous. For starters, the waratahs are a state side. If you want to argue on that level, then how many people go to a NSW home game for rugby league? (60-80,000). How many watch it on TV? (over a million). How many go to a waratahs game? (20-30,000). How many watch it on TV? (is it even on TV!?).

How many go to club rugby league games in Sydney? (10-25,000) How many watch it on TV? (300-800,000) How many go to club rugby union games in Sydney? (100 or 200 people) How many watch it on TV? (is it even on TV?!)

RaidersMalt

Juniors

Notice it says more "alcohol" not beer. The "corporates" all sip their chardonnay and they sell loads of bundy to 16 year olds. Also they probably compared a friday night brumbies game of 20,000 to a sunday arvo raiders game of 10,000. On a person by person comparison I think the raiders crowd drinks heaps more beer.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Who cares about the Brumbies, the players act like bitchy little school kids and their 'fans' aren't much better. The whole thing is a social event rather than actually going to support a team. How many Brumbies replica shirts do you see compared to Raiders shirts? Barely any. I honestly saw more Brumbies shirts in England than what I have seen in Canberra.

Anonymous

Juniors
burley griffin said:
Skeepe - to argue that the waratahs are more popular than rugby league in Sydney is ridiculous. For starters, the waratahs are a state side. If you want to argue on that level, then how many people go to a NSW home game for rugby league? (60-80,000). How many watch it on TV? (over a million). How many go to a waratahs game? (20-30,000). How many watch it on TV? (is it even on TV!?).

How many go to club rugby league games in Sydney? (10-25,000) How many watch it on TV? (300-800,000) How many go to club rugby union games in Sydney? (100 or 200 people) How many watch it on TV? (is it even on TV?!)

Yeah but if the Waratahs only had one or two home games a year then the numbers would be comprable.

And the Waratahs home crowd average has been around 30, 000 for the last few seasons.

jed

First Grade
Timbo said:
burley griffin said:

Yeah but if the Waratahs only had one or two home games a year then the numbers would be comprable.

And the Waratahs home crowd average has been around 30, 000 for the last few seasons.

But the waratah's, being a state side, only get 6 home games a year, and if you add the bumblies and red's games too, a total of 18 games in oz. the NSW compare this with 180 NRL club games, including 24 games where the Raiders play. most years I get to at least 10 NRL games, but I have several sydney venues where I can catch them. of the 11 waratah's games, there will usually be 5 that are entirely out of the country, as opposed to the 1 that we get most years.

comparisons between league & union are pointless. same with afl. it's like comparing basketball & netball - there are similar aspects to the 2 games, but at the end of the day they have completely different rules and require an entirely seperate skill set.

BradtheRipper

Juniors
Paullyboy said:
Comments like the one I just read from BradtheRipper are disgusting. Fair enough you dont like who is sitting next to you - boo bloody hoo - we need to get bums on seats in order to see dollar signs.

Im disgraced at you Brad

well me and the other 10000 loyalists, will be happy to pay $30 a game until you "goldfingers" get some f**king passion.
how much money can i give you to f**k right off. 10, 50, 100 cents.

Stay green!

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
BradtheRipper said:
Paullyboy said:
Comments like the one I just read from BradtheRipper are disgusting. Fair enough you dont like who is sitting next to you - boo bloody hoo - we need to get bums on seats in order to see dollar signs.

Im disgraced at you Brad

well me and the other 10000 loyalists, will be happy to pay $30 a game until you "goldfingers" get some f***ing passion.
how much money can i give you to f**k right off. 10, 50, 100 cents.

Stay green!

So going crazy on a wonen and her 3 kids makes you a loyalist...no...it makes you drunken asshole who thinks he is a hero cause he can overpower women..

you do know that 100 cents is $1 right? :roll:

Latest posts