What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do you support the team you do??

Paullyboy

Coach
I went to that site then remembered my sound doesnt work, hahah, Ive just gotten so used to it now that Id forgotten about it. Ill bookmark it for later in the season though when hopefully im up and running. Thanks.

MysteryGirl said:
I have always loved my Vikes.
I can remember watching Fran Tarkenton and Ahmad Rashad play and sitting on my grandpa's lap and loving his reactions to this game.

MG, you're the only one here who doesn't make me feel quite so old. But I do go back a bit farther than you. I cheered for the Vikings, as a kid, in Super Bowl 4 when they had former BC Lion quarterback Joe Kapp. They lost to the Chiefs. Tarkenton had been traded to the Giants then, but later returned to the Vikes and led them to their other 3 Super Bowl losses. In the late 70s I went to a game in Buffalo in a December snowstorm. It was so cold (even for Canadians) that we left at halftime, but I do remember Viking rb Chuck Foreman being hit in the face by a snowball thrown by a Bills fan.

Anyway, in 72 I started to follow an up and coming Pittsburgh Steelers team. I became hooked for good that year when I went crazy in my living room watching Franco Harris's "Immaculate Reception." 2 years later they won the first of 4 Super Bowls and went on to dominate the 70s. I still have never seen a rivalry as intense as the Steelrs-Raiders in the 70s. I hated the Raiders then as much as I loved the Steelers.

I like what Steeden said above about the old school teams playing in cold weather, etc. I went to a Steelers game in Cleveland in 76. Steelers-Browns is one of the oldest rivalries in the NFL, and the 2 cities aren't too far apart. There were a lot of Pittsburgh fans in Cleveland that day in their black and gold ski hats (toques we call them in Canada). I recall seeing several fights in the stands between Steeler and Browns fans. It was great atmosphere in old 80,000 seat Cleveland Stadium. A Browns DE named Joe "Turkey" Jones picked up Terry Bradshaw and threw him head first into the turf. The Browns fans cheered as Bradshaw was carried off the field. I was at the game with friends of my parents, a well-educated Cleveland couple. The husband said it was ok what happened to Bradshaw because the year before Mean Joe Greene had kicked a Browns player in the head.

MysteryGirl

First Grade
CanadianSteve said:
MysteryGirl said:
I have always loved my Vikes.
I can remember watching Fran Tarkenton and Ahmad Rashad play and sitting on my grandpa's lap and loving his reactions to this game.

MG, you're the only one here who doesn't make me feel quite so old.

Shuddup Steve! I'll get my walking stick out and whop you upside the head! (that is if I can adjust these bifocals of mine and gather the energy to get out of my rocker.) :lol:

sunny

I'm a year younger than you, Paullyboy, at 18.....anyone younger than that?

I started taking an interest in NFL in the early 90s when they did the Saturday afternoon re-runs of Don Lane's NFL show on the ABC...the game just fascinated me.....after a couple of years I started supporting the Broncos, mainly because of Elway.

The Moose

Juniors
I'm 18 as well sunny mate so don't worry. My nfl history began in january, my brother and i were watching the big dance and he was 'rooting' for the panthers so i went pats. Needless to say my colours haven't changed.... yet! gotta give gridiron a wrap, absolutely love the sport now

sunny

Me? Worry? Never!

Good to see you've started following this great sport Moose.......may it give you as many hours of entertainment and enjoyment as it has given me. :)

Nice sig quote by the way, very good quote indeed :lol:

GreenGuy

legend said:
The Broncos with Elway, Sharpe, Smith, Davis and Easy Ed started to become a force again and I only had to wait another year for Denver to win the big one.

Same as legend. I bought Madden '97 for the good old playstation back then, and i fell in love with the Broncos as Johnny Elway lifted the superbowl!

Go Denver!!!

from1st2last

Juniors
joel caine number 1 fan said:
well ive followed Miami for a while now (around 9-10 years)
i guess the reason for me liking the Miami is ive always wanted too move there
And cause you like being depressed maybe? :D

legend

Coach
It was prom queen from memory. :lol:

I was into the Broncos long before they won their first Superbowl and I mum bought me a Broncos t-shirt when I was young. Not sure why, I probably asked for it but one of the main reasons is I love the cold and both the Canberra Raiders and Broncos are teams who almost always play in the cold.

I've seen a Raiders game in the snow, now just need to watch a Broncos game in the snow and i'll die a happy man. :lol:

MysteryGirl

First Grade
elway2.jpg

Legend:
Better?

Nullajet

Juniors
I was an oilers fan...initially for the colours and then because i loved watching warren moon play and ernest givins

but when they moved to tennessee....my allegiance followed and now I am a massive McNair fan!!!

Not to mention the colours they wear now are bloody perfect!!!!!

I just love tennessee's spirit and the way they fight for all that they get....

oh yeah and there is the fact they haven't won a title yet, like my beloved Cronulla...

so its all out there to happen..........and god knows i am waiting.........waiting .........

Murphdogg1

Juniors
KevinArnold said:
49er fan since early 90's. Ahhhh the glory years seem so far away :(

Montana & Rice = The Greatest!

EXACTLY 49ers rule!!!

i follow the niners cos my dad bought a niners jersey when i was young and from then on its been San Fran all the way, having been there doesnt hurt either, great city is San Francisco

bucko

Juniors
I first developed an interest in the sport in about the year 2000. I wanted to learn the game, so I bought madden 2000, and never looked back, loved the game and learnt to love the packers, which was the team I picked.

Still a huge packers fan these days, but they seem to be slowly falling away from the heavyweight class of the NFL :(

Latest posts