What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why doesnt junior league use weight divisions?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Why don't the junior districts run weight restricted competitions in parallel to the underage ones? I cannot see a reason why it would not work and solve the problem of juniors dropping off due to big gaps in weights at the ae age group. Giving mums and kids the choice to play open or restricted could potentially stop and reverse the losses in mumbers especially at u15, 16 level.

Whats peoples thoughts?

I think they have been trialling something like this in Penrith? Not sure of details or if it's still happening.

It's hard to go 100% on weight as kids shouldn't be playing more than a year or two either side of their age regardless of weight.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I think they have been trialling something like this in Penrith? Not sure of details or if it's still happening.

It's hard to go 100% on weight as kids shouldn't be playing more than a year or two either side of their age regardless of weight.

I remember gus had plans for a trial in oe rith a few years ago, not sure how it panned out. But he was adament it needed to happen.

I would imagine there would be a lower age limit at each weight level and if they had it at each age group from say u13 to u17 age would take care of itself imo

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Also from what i have heard juniors used to be organised by weight rather than age until it changed some time ago, not sure when though

paulmac

Juniors
It should be easy enough to get off the ground.Just make it U/9s,U/11s,U/13s,U/15s,U/17s with lightweight and open divisions.That way a heavy kid isn't playing against kids 3-4 years older.

leaguegod692

Juniors
i remember as a kid, playing with a small guy who used to back up a year for us and still belt huge people

i would hate to see a kid like that playing against kids a year or 2 younger then him

i think it should always be on age but just have an upper limit for each age and if a kid exceeds that, they go up one year

but i would stop this at like 12 or 13 when players starting getting pretty physical, there is some soft, overweight kids all over the place that shouldn't have to play a year above just because of their weight, it would turn them away from the game

The Rosco

Bench
i remember as a kid, playing with a small guy who used to back up a year for us and still belt huge people

i would hate to see a kid like that playing against kids a year or 2 younger then him

i think it should always be on age but just have an upper limit for each age and if a kid exceeds that, they go up one year

but i would stop this at like 12 or 13 when players starting getting pretty physical, there is some soft, overweight kids all over the place that shouldn't have to play a year above just because of their weight, it would turn them away from the game

I'd safely say the REAL reason folks are talking about weight divisions didn't exist when you, or I, were kids. This ain't about soft, overweight kids.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I cannot find the article now but a few weeks back there was a story in one of the papers about there being weight for age competitions in some of the districts at some point this year. I think the places mentioned were st george, western suburbs, manly and norths from memory. Will be interesting to see how it progresses

I cannot find the article now but a few weeks back there was a story in one of the papers about there being weight for age competitions in some of the districts at some point this year. I think the places mentioned were st george, western suburbs, manly and norths from memory. Will be interesting to see how it progresses

I highly doubt it would be the Manly or North Sydney competitions, probably more competitions like Parramatta, Canterbury or Penrith where they have the big islander boys. I hear numerous people who say that the big islander boys birth certificates are issued when they arrive in Aust not when they are born, is this truth or an league urban legend ?.

Latest posts