What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don't the NRL do something like this?

Choppies

Coach
Why don't the NRL open a rugby league superstore? Im just wondering because I went to the NBA Store in New York today and I have to say WOW.
Why don't they open one up in the city somewhere and just sell everything they can?
Im sure others would agree with me that an NRL superstore could make a good go of it.
It always puzzles me because the Professional and I use professional loosly governing bodies and clubs send people over to the States to learn about how they market their product etc etc. But we see nothing in action. Love or hate American sports but they do know how to market their games and clubs something sorely lacking in Australia.

yobbo84

First Grade
Choppies said:
Why don't the NRL open a rugby league superstore? Im just wondering because I went to the NBA Store in New York today and I have to say WOW.
Why don't they open one up in the city somewhere and just sell everything they can?
Im sure others would agree with me that an NRL superstore could make a good go of it.
It always puzzles me because the Professional and I use professional loosly governing bodies and clubs send people over to the States to learn about how they market their product etc etc. But we see nothing in action. Love or hate American sports but they do know how to market their games and clubs something sorely lacking in Australia.

That NBA store is unbelievable - if you loved B'ball you could spend all day in there. The yanks certainly love things big.

I think that'd be a great idea - they could open the shop in Entertainment Qtr, Fox Studios.

Lowdown

Juniors
Yeah - I like the idea. Like it alot.

I dont think it should be in Sydney though...as no one would turn up. Too busy sipping latte's in oxford st. ;-)

Put the store the Brisbane Mall, and another one in Townsville.

Choppies

Coach
yobbo84 said:
That NBA store is unbelievable - if you loved B'ball you could spend all day in there. The yanks certainly love things big.

I think that'd be a great idea - they could open the shop in Entertainment Qtr, Fox Studios.

I almost did :lol:
Nah it is amazing. All the teams lined up on the wall for sale looked awesome!
All the other stuff they had in there as well was unbeleivable. I know I went all out when I found an official NBA whistle and didnt remember buying it.

I was thinking the NRL one could open in say George St or a big one in Pitt St Mall.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
You'd know. :|

Not really but lets face face here. USA have a population of 300 million, we have a population of 30 million. It is much easier to appeal to a 300 million population. That is just the way it is. The mega stores in the USA work as they appeal to millions and are very popular with toursists as well. Most people know Kobe Bryant. Ask anyone in Japan if they know Darren Lockyer and I am not sure you would get the same response. That is a big difference as well.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
lockyno1 said:
Not really but lets face face here. USA have a population of 300 million, we have a population of 30 million. It is much easier to appeal to a 300 million population. That is just the way it is. The mega stores in the USA work as they appeal to millions and are very popular with toursists as well. Most people know Kobe Bryant. Ask anyone in Japan if they know Darren Lockyer and I am not sure you would get the same response. That is a big difference as well.

OMFG!

youve spent too long in LALA land, ahaha :lol: god your dumb

hrundi99

First Grade
All it would do is take direct revenue away from the existing club shops.

And yes, it would be an expensive undertaking.

lockyno1

Post Whore
no.2_lukeburt said:
OMFG!

youve spent too long in LALA land, ahaha :lol: god your dumb

The figures don't matter burty. The point is the same. USA has the advantage of having 200 million more people than we do. Add to that the sports targeted in mega stores are worldwide phenomonen's. That is a massive difference. These mega stores, yes they appeal to fans within Australia but they are the ones you want to target tourists. I question whether a tourist would come to Australia to go to a mega store over here. In fact there would be more of a point to have a cricket one rather than a league one to be honest. Ask many tourists going to the USA and they will at least look in one of the mega stores in the USA.

lockyno1 said:

The only thing you can bring to an intelligently thought out thread like this is a complete lack of your posts.

petetheileet

First Grade
I think Peter Wynn's does pretty well...why would something on a much larger scale and in a better location do worse????

Hatzy

Juniors
While something like this would be a great initiative, the fact is it would be a very expensive undertaking.

I still think that it could survive - you don't have to make it as big as the NBA megastore. The posters are right when they said that no one in the States knows who Sonny Bill Williams or Darren Lockyer or Roy Asotasi is. The NBA store would be visited by mostly tourists in my opinion and thus they can afford to have such a large store.

But that doesn't mean we couldn't have one. I think it would be a great idea - you just wouldn't be able to have one so big.

The real advantage of this idea is (or should be) that the profit goes back to the game instead of lining the pockets of store owners with little or no interest in the game or its success and who don't put anything back into the game.

eelandia

Juniors
East Coast Tiger said:
The real advantage of this idea is (or should be) that the profit goes back to the game instead of lining the pockets of store owners with little or no interest in the game or its success and who don't put anything back into the game.

I know I was certainly disappointed when I went to a place in Darlinghurst that advertise themselves as League HQ yet it was merely a sports store that at the end of the day had arguably more Swans merchandise than League. Never bothered to go back and would rather go to Peter Wynn's Score in Parramatta.

Their advertising was enough to make me go and check it out, so I'm not so sure an NRL Superstore would require tourist patronage to make it profitable. And the point about funnelling the money back into the game instead of a proprietor's pockets makes sense.

Danish

Referee
The NBA would without doubt have more money in its marketing kitty than the NRL gets from TV rights and sponsorship combined....

A store like that would cost millions to set up. Short of everyone in Sydney going to buy their jerseys and footy gear there it would go under IMO. But we can dream...

I think we would be better pressed trying to organise the construction of a rugby league hall of fame. Yes it would also be a money pit but we could build it at the SFS or Telstra Stadium for far far less than trying to set up a huge superstore in the middle of the city.