What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is Parramatta Eels coach Ricky Stuart untouchable?

Jodeci

Bench
Why is Parramatta Eels coach Ricky Stuart untouchable?

AS Ricky Stuart returns to his Suncorp Stadium graveyard Friday night with one hand on the NRL wooden spoon it is hard to believe the Parramatta coach is not a dead man walking.

For all the coaches under the microscope this season, Stuart has been the protected species.

This is despite failing to find any improvement in a Parramatta side almost certain to become the first club since South Sydney in 2003-2004 to claim back-to-back wooden spoons.

In fact, if not for last week’s 26-22 win over the equally inept Wests Tigers, Stuart would have created unwanted rugby league history by becoming the first coach ever to lose 11 consecutive matches at two different clubs.

Talk about spreading the Midas touch.

Former coach Stephen Kearney copped the blame of Parramatta’s woes in 2012 but as we have seen this year - with five 30-plus floggings - the Eels are no better off with Stuart at the helm and are still two wins shy of the six victories they produced last year and in 2011.

His overall NRL record is now 120 wins, 120 losses and 1 draw from 241 games.

But since 2009 Stuart-coached football teams have won just 14 of their past 61 games.

To stop the slide and buy time from a dysfunctional board, Stuart plans to sack half the roster and start again.

But his biggest name signing next year is Bronco Corey Norman, who is now struggling in Queensland Cup, while the likes of Gareth Hock, Josh Papalii and Israel Folau all agreed to joint the Eels but subsequently changed their minds.

Two years ago he was labelled NSW’s messiah, but he never delivered a trophy and returned back to the NRL where his coaching record now stands at just one finals appearance in his last seven seasons.

In four years at Cronulla, Stuart got the Sharks to the finals just once, flogged by Melbourne in the 2008 preliminary final.

A decade ago Stuart was considered a coaching genius.

He took the Sydney Roosters to the premiership in his debut season after inheriting a star-studded team that had made six successive finals and were runners-up under Graham Murray two years earlier.

He won a 2005 Origin series with NSW but it all fell apart when sacked as Kangaroos Test coach for presiding over Australia’s shock 2008 World Cup final loss here at Lang Park.

It was the first time since 1972 Australia had not won the World Cup, but it was his verbal abuse of referee Ashley Klein that made his job untenable.

It proved what Queensland fans have long known, that Stuart is the biggest whinger in the game.

That reputation only grew with an expletive-laden spray of referees on the Gold Coast in round six and after a repeat outburst in round 15 his coaching career fines total almost $100,000.

The game’s deepest thinker might have deep pockets but success has been shallow pickings in Queensland, his last trip to Suncorp ending in tears thanks to Cooper Cronk’s miracle field goal in the 2012 Origin decider.

It was the seventh straight loss Stuart had suffered coaching in Brisbane, his last victory coming as Test coach in 2007.

He might have missed the Origin pain with NSW four weeks ago, but on Friday night the Broncos can hand Stuart his own eight straight Lang Park defeats.

RICKY'S RECORD

Roosters

02 Premiers

03 Lost grand final to Penrith

04 Lost grand final to Bulldogs

05 11 wins, 13 losses (46%, finished 9th)

06 8 wins, 16 losses (33%, 14th)

Sharks

07 10 wins, 14 losses (42%, 11th)

08 Prelim finalists

09 5 wins, 19 losses (21%, 15th)

Eels

13 4 wins, 16 losses (20%, currently 16th)

NRL career: 120 wins, 120 losses, 1 draw (50%)

NSW

05, 11-12 4 wins, 5 losses (44%)

AUSTRALIA

06-08 10 wins, 1 loss (08 World Cup final)

1 finals appearance last 7 years

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...uart-untouchable/story-fni3ga7r-1226698016315

If only Mick Potter was in the same boat

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Does any of these people take into account how many problems the last two clubs he has coached when he took over? I know cash would of played it's part, but it seems Stuart saw taking the helm at Parramatta a challenge, he could of easily stayed coach of NSW and kept pushing for a series win.

The Sharks were in all sorts when he was there, he did quite well to get them to a prelim final with their roster, to of course be beaten by a cheating side.

Let me say i don't rate Stuart as the best coach going around, i don't rate him in the top bracket of coaches, he has made some bad decisions in his coaching career, but i applaud him for taking on a challenge like us.

IFR33K

Coach
meh.

Done well at the sharks in 08, losing a record amount of games in 09 by 4 points or less.

Has got the clean out well and truly under way. If we manage another two decent signings for 2014, and another two or three for 2015, than he has done well.

If he fails to get results and is punted, at least he has formed a competitive side.

Gronk

Staff member
Muck raking.

Everyone gave SK a chance in year 1 before raising expectations.

We need to fire in 2014 and TBH I am feeling for Sticky as he might need to play Kelly or Norman at 7. Something tells me that consistency and focus is not in Sandows makeup.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It just wouldn't be another week in League unless some journo tries to cash in on the Eels.

Personally I believe whom ever is coaching the Eels at present should be untouchable we have sacked enough coaches over the last 5 years so its time for some stability.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Yay yay! Lets all start a hate campaign against Stuart as potter seems to now assured of a job next year...

f**king germ journos!

TheRam

Coach
Talk about a hit piece? I'm not a Sticky sycophant by any stretch, but this guy is just a loser trying to find the next big headline.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Muck raking.

Everyone gave SK a chance in year 1

lol

merkins wanted him sacked if we missed the finals because "that's what happened to Ando". When Hayne got injured in the 2012 pre-season Kearney was already a dead man walking.

Springs

First Grade
No coach deserves to be sacked after a year.

But f**k I wish we had never signed him. Biggest whinger in the game. Can't stand anything he says. Completely hated him since that world cup final.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...remiership-force/story-fnca0von-1226698056711

Ricky Stuart has a major challenge to turn Eels into a premiership force

by: Stuart Honeysett, Brent Read
August 16, 2013 12:00AM

RICKY Stuart has key performance indicators built into his contract that require the Parramatta coach to turn this year's wooden spoon favourites into a finals team next season and a premiership contender by 2015.

The Australian was told the scale of the challenge facing Stuart as the club yesterday announced a deal to play two games in the Northern Territory - a pre-season trial and a premiership match - for the next four seasons.

Stuart gave up his NSW coaching position to take on the head coaching job at the Eels and was given three years to transform last year's bottom-placed team into a premiership force again.

It is believed Stuart was given a year's grace this season because the Eels were such a basket case when he took control.

However, his KPIs will kick in from next year. So will the pressure. He has already made some tough decisions, having told a number of players their futures lie elsewhere.

Despite delivering that news, Stuart yesterday insisted the club remained a united force.

"For the difficulties and the tough season we have had, I really give the players a lot of credit in regard to how they have handled the difficult circumstances," he said.

"I put that down to the team spirit and morale. I said it all along, they're a good bunch of guys.

"You have your tough weeks. You have your tough week when you're winning. There is no factions, no one split, no one singling out anybody. They're a very, very tight bunch."

The Eels are prohibitive favourites to make it back-to-back wooden spoons.

The pressure on Stuart should be eased next season by the arrival of a slew of signings, the most notable being Brisbane's Corey Norman, winger Will Hopoate and English forward Lee Mossop.

Stuart hasn't finished recruiting either as he looks to fill the void created by English forward Gareth Hock's decision to stay in Super League.

The four-year deal with the NT government is worth $4 million and it is hoped eventually a game for premiership points will be played in the territory.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Not Stuarts biggest fan but he can't be judged on the shithouse roster he inherited, if we are struggling as badly this time next season questions should rightly be asked.

Chipmunk

Coach
What's with the last paragraph in the article two posts above by El D?

Perhaps we are going to play an NRL game, but because it is in a foreign state for rugby league that the points will be shared, much like a draw! So in essence the points wont be "up for grabs" :sarcasm:

IFR33K

Coach
lol

merkins wanted him sacked if we missed the finals because "that's what happened to Ando". When Hayne got injured in the 2012 pre-season Kearney was already a dead man walking.

Some people were smart enough to realize SK was out of his depth from the start. Can you blame them?

Other merkins took 12-18 months to agree.

The real stupid merkins are still banging on about him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sticky won a premiership eleven years ago and has proven this year that results are entirely due to the strength of your roster. He's no better than Kearney.

It's a shame it's taken you so long to see that.

Tooooks

Bench
When he wins a premiership, it's not because he's a good coach, it's because he inherited a good roster.

When he wins the spoon, it's not because he inherited a shit roster, it's because he's a bad coach. Go figure.

Latest posts