What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is the NRL currently booming?

Homo man69

Juniors
I've noticed the NRL is currently going through another 90's boom stage. Im not bias and prefer the AFL, which is currently struggling. It's odd cause 5 years ago it was the opposite.
My job involves going from worksite to worksite and the NRL craze is definitely back. They all have tipping comps and NRL posters. Can also sense it with crowds and general buzz
One theory i keep hearing is Penrith and there large catchment area but I'm leaning more towards better administration

Pneuma

First Grade
I've noticed the NRL is currently going through another 90's boom stage. Im not bias and prefer the AFL, which is currently struggling. It's odd cause 5 years ago it was the opposite.
My job involves going from worksite to worksite and the NRL craze is definitely back. They all have tipping comps and NRL posters. Can also sense it with crowds and general buzz
One theory i keep hearing is Penrith and there large catchment area but I'm leaning more towards better administration
I think it’s because I have beer and there is footy again. It’s also possible you are a piss take account. And other things as well. I hope that helps.

Floodwaters

Juniors

Its the reason entertainment is booming at the moment, like it or not, even if you think the reaction to Covid was warranted, the fact it isn't a thing anymore is the reason currently entertainment is booming which the OP asked. I've been to 5 concerts in the past 6 weeks, why is there so many atm? because there allowed to do them again.

Pneuma

First Grade
Its the reason entertainment is booming at the moment, like it or not, even if you think the reaction to Covid was warranted, the fact it isn't a thing anymore is the reason currently entertainment is booming which the OP asked. I've been to 5 concerts in the past 6 weeks, why is there so many atm? because there allowed to do them again.
Cauliflower

blukablu

Juniors
I've really noticed this in Brisbane. A lot more talk about NRL at work and with friends from school (Rugby school, not traditional league supporters). I've been seeing NRL apparel EVERYWHERE as well.

My theory why -

1. Super Rugby is basically dead (in Australia at least) so we've taken most of their supporters. Red's used to average 20 - 30k, Waratahs 35k+, Brumbies got 15-20k. They are currently getting about 1/3 of that, maybe even less. Where have they all gone? NRL.

2. The NRL has really cleaned up its act and is more attractive to a non-traditional audience. Not too long ago a lot of people thought Rugby League was a thuggy sport watched by bogans. Off-field dramas are much less, thug-like behaviour on the field has been stamped out, NRLW would have helped and the addition of 'higher class' sponsors have shed the low-class stereotype the NRL had and have made it much more attractive to upper and middle-class fans.

docbrown

Coach
Entertainment options are now almost limitless. Everybody’s watching something different. We’re not all just watching the same three channels. But the one thing that is still uniting millions of people on one topic of conversation is live sports. And the NRL is putting out a quality product week after week that people want to see that is already engrained into the popular culture.

docbrown

Coach
I've really noticed this in Brisbane. A lot more talk about NRL at work and with friends from school (Rugby school, not traditional league supporters). I've been seeing NRL apparel EVERYWHERE as well.

My theory why -

1. Super Rugby is basically dead (in Australia at least) so we've taken most of their supporters. Red's used to average 20 - 30k, Waratahs 35k+, Brumbies got 15-20k. They are currently getting about 1/3 of that, maybe even less. Where have they all gone? NRL.

2. The NRL has really cleaned up its act and is more attractive to a non-traditional audience. Not too long ago a lot of people thought Rugby League was a thuggy sport watched by bogans. Off-field dramas are much less, thug-like behaviour on the field has been stamped out, NRLW would have helped and the addition of 'higher class' sponsors have shed the low-class stereotype the NRL had and have made it much more attractive to upper and middle-class fans.
If you look at Super Rugby TV audiences it’s clear that they now watch NRL.

Latest posts