What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Leuleuai?

Can someone please enlighten me as to why Stephen Kearney rates Thomas Leuleuai so highly? Failed Warrior, mediocre in SuperLeague, started no1 on ill fated UK tour only to be dumped, rubbish kicking game, so why is he NZ no1 halfback, surely Fien who lead the Warriors to probably no2 team at the end of the season has better credentials, he's also a former origin player which must rate up there somewhere, I think even Benji might be a better choice at 7 with Inu @ 6, if someone can prove to me as to why Leuleuai should be rated so highly i'll gladly eat humble pie, but I just cant think of any reason why, also it'll probably take till the semi's for Kearney to realise he isn't the answer, as usual.

ByRd

First Grade
6. Marshall
7. Fien
9. Luke

That is what the Kiwis should go with and Leuleuai only being used as a backup

Mate I wouldn't even have him in the squad
best halfbacks
1.Fien
2.Eddie Paea
3.Rangi Chase
4.Benji
5.Hohaia
6.Ben Roberts
He is on par with Jeremy Smith, both have decent running games and strength, but poor kicking games and no generalship, Fien knows how to run a team.
Think about it would Leuleuai be the halfback at The Warriors, wake up Kearney he's not James, he isn't upto it!!!

While he has had a good year in SL, he has never performed well in any of the test matches he has played in. He is simply not up to it. Ben Roberts would of been a much better selection.

ByRd

First Grade
Roberts at no.7 is useless, if he is playing in the no.6 outside a good 7 he can be damaging with his running game but he had a terrible year with us and needs to lift big time.

Talanexor

Juniors
Stick Benji in the 7. He's the only real half the Kiwis have - mind you, there seems to be a shortage of really good halves at the moment in Australia too, Kurt Gidley was first choice for NSW before he got injured.

Kiwis already have plenty of muscle, so don't put a backrower in the 6, put someone like Inu or Hohaia there and watch Benji put them through gap after gap.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
I guess they hope he will produce some of the stuff he showed in the 2003 test against Aussie. I believe he deserves a chance with a decent number 6 on his side. Look what he has done with Trent Barrett at Wigan.

screeny

Bench
I guess they hope he will produce some of the stuff he showed in the 2003 test against Aussie. I believe he deserves a chance with a decent number 6 on his side. Look what he has done with Trent Barrett at Wigan.

Agree entirely. If Thomas is given more of a pivot role, just to give quick accurate ball to Marshall and to keep the opposition's tight defence honest then he can do the job, but the focus of the attack can't be based around him.

His kicking game isn't all that good though, and I'm not sure if Benji has one or not.

salivor

First Grade
Mate I wouldn't even have him in the squad
best halfbacks
1.Fien
2.Eddie Paea
3.Rangi Chase
4.Benji
5.Hohaia
6.Ben Roberts
He is on par with Jeremy Smith, both have decent running games and strength, but poor kicking games and no generalship, Fien knows how to run a team.
Think about it would Leuleuai be the halfback at The Warriors, wake up Kearney he's not James, he isn't upto it!!!

Agree with your opening post but come on? Roberts above him? Roberts is a spastic.

I'd have Fien in the 7 alongside Marshall. If one of those 2 go down then I'd bring in Taumata or you could even move Hohaia into the halves with plenty of options to replace him at fullback.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Thats the problem with the Kiwis their best halfbacks arent even up to NRL standard, let alone International Standard.

Fien is a more experienced half, having spent years at the Cowboys as halfback. He's their best choice out of the ones mentioned.

Trying to find the best NZL halfback, is like trying to find the next Shane Warne for the Australian cricket team. They havent been the same since Jones retired.

Leualai is a dubious selection. I don't know why he keeps getting picked, it's probably the surname. He's a good defender though.

It's pretty interesting Australia didn't select any halfbacks who actually played in the semi finals too IMO. Thurston's halfback & captain of an equal last placed side, and Prince couldn't quite carry the Titans to the finals. (allthough he did break his arm) And Gidley as backup half is a joke.

Latest posts