What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Raiders fans should go for Queensland...

birdsteeth

Juniors
After watching Wednesday night's State of Origin, I got to thinking of all the reasons why Canberra Raiders supporters should go for Queensland:

* Sam Backo, Gary Coyne, Peter Jackson, Jason Smith have all made stunning contributions to Queensland sides; with Gary Belcher, Mal Meninga and Steve Walters all being named on www.fogs.com.au as the greatest ever for Queensland in their respective positions.
* ACT is a neutral state and is not a part of NSW, contrary to popular belief - ie. we have no reason to go for NSW just because of proximity.
* The Raiders that have represented Queensland display more loyalty to the club, with most of them seeing out their playing days at Canberra. This is in contrast to NSW players Ricky Stuart, Bradley Clyde, David Furner, Glen Lazarus: all great players that finished their playing days with clubs other than Canberra.
* We owe it to Mal Meninga as possibly the Greatest Raider of all time to get behind him and his assistant coach (and 2007 Raiders coach) Neil Henry.
* The only Raider playing Representative football at the moment is Junior Sau for Queensland under 19's. The constant snubbing of in-form Raiders such as Alan Tongue and Troy Thompson by NSW selectors is another reason to ditch the Blues.
* Raiders supporters shouldn't ever go for Representative sides that have fielded as many Manly players as NSW has!

Can I get a Hell Yeah?

Timbo

Staff member
Clyde, Stuart, Furner...Disloyal? Are you serious?

Also I'm from Sydney. So hell no!

paulquinn49

Bench
People who switch state loyalties based on what current Raiders player is player SOO pisses me off. Pick a side and stick to it regardless.

Even if you hate Lockyer and are convinced he f**ked the game by running towards the sideline with 20 seconds left.

woodgers

Bench
Last week was Salvo's Red Shield Appeal and this week it is QLD State of Origin. Whilst I can't support it, i'm happy to flick over $2 to go towards footys or socks.

Blue to the bone.

thickos

First Grade
LOL nice post birdsteeth. No chance in hell!

I didn't support Mal, Boxhead and Badge when they played for the enemy in all those classic SOO duels... I just prayed they weren't hurt.

Go NSW.

Raider Azz

Bench
i have no real ties to either state quinny, so why should i go for the one team? i go for whoever has more raiders players. if finch is in the nsw squad again, ill be going for qld.

dragonfly

Bench
Hmmm

If only posts like this one were as rare as birds teeth!. Mr Teeth, disloyalty in todays game is a very unfair term, especially when the likes of Stuart (of whom i have no great love for) and Clyde were squeezed out by affordability problems created the by salary cap. Canberra is as you put it Neautral, but so was belgium and if you think in the event of Victoria raiding the ACT that Queensland would jump to your rescue you must be kidding. We would help because Canberra is GIRT by NSW.

I am a Dragon man but Wally Fullerton Smith, Mark Coyne, Craig Smith, Rod Reddy, Gordy Tallis and Wayne Bartrim were always on their own come origin.

Your decision to follow Queensland is your right as much as Crisp Grissle has a right to sell real estate but you call to arms of all Raiders is unwarranted and ludicrous.

I do however concur on the Manly point.

So get off your soap box turn coat and let the public servants make up their own mind.

Go the Blues!!!

greenhat

Juniors
need i remind you that the canberra raiders spent their first 8 years based in queanbeyan, NSW?

origin isnt about this sort of theorising
its about going for the boys from where youre from
its raw and its tribal and thats why its australias greatest annual sporting event

Poida_Raider

Bench
my tutor here at college is from canberra and he alternated every year.. which is a load of bullsh*t if you ask me.

another good mate of mine is from dubbo, i wont hold that against him. anyway he was born in south australia and grew up there a bit so he reckons he doesnt have to go for nsw. he changes his mind all the time on who he's going for.. "whoever i think has the best team" is his catch cry.. he goes for the raiders too, so he's not too bad.

GO THE BLUES!!!!!!

dragonfly

Bench
its raw and its tribal and thats why its australias greatest annual sporting event

Holy sh*t green hat! what a quote! i felt like grabbing the first maroon thing i seen and belting the sh*t out of it. Patent it and send it to gould and tell him you want $2 everytime he uses it. That will fetch a cool $500 a game.

Chachi

Bench
I'm not from NSW or QLD, but as most Sydneysiders seem to bash Canberra I say GO QUEENSLAND!

Actually, I couldn't care less really - as long as they beat the crap out of each other when there's no Raiders involved. :)

nickraider

Juniors
Queenslander! Go the Maroons. Raiders have always had a lot of Queenslanders too especially before the Broncos came into the comp.