What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Wasn't This Done Earlier!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Why was Hodges not at FULLBACK earlier! Today was the best performance we have had by miles since Origin. Not happy Jan, we could have potentially won 2-3 more games with Hodges at fullback FFS!:x

Leagueguy

Juniors
How about this. Hodges to stay at fullback. Enter Special K at Halfback? Unlikely probably, but why not roll the dice?

Big Pete

Referee
I didn't think Hodges was THAT good. A few times he looked lost and in defence he wasn't that good at all.

salivor

First Grade
Well he gave away that Cronk try by going for Hill. As for him staying there and shifting Hunt to halfback, we've already made our bed and we now have to lie on it, you don't trial a new halfback this late in the game.

Leagueguy

Juniors
Hmmm I don't know. Hunt could play a bit like Hornby does for the Dragons. Maybe from fullback he could get into first reciever a bit more than usual. I just think he needs to get involved in our attack more than he has been.

As for Hodges I thought he had a very good game. Made a couple of errors but more than made up for them.

gdz

Juniors
Leagueguy said:
How about this. Hodges to stay at fullback. Enter Special K at Halfback? Unikely probably, but why not roll the dice?

I like the idea. This could free Tate up to play right centre and next year with Ennis returning, Berrigan could either go back to centre or stay on the bench as a utility.

Meanie

Juniors
salivor said:
Well he gave away that Cronk try by going for Hill. As for him staying there and shifting Hunt to halfback, we've already made our bed and we now have to lie on it, you don't trial a new halfback this late in the game.

Nuh, sorry, thinking outside the box is the only way the Broncos are going to give it a shake this year. Hodges, Lockie, Hunt and Berrigan at 1,6,7,9 gives us real strikepower at each of those positions. No doubt Hodges is raw there and probably going to get caught out from time to time, but the amount of impact he has from there simply can't be denied.

Meanie

Juniors
gdz said:
I like the idea. This could free Tate up to play right centre and next year with Ennis returning, Berrigan could either go back to centre or stay on the bench as a utility.

Honestly, especially on his performance today, I'd like to see the Broncs persevere with Berrigan at 9, and maybe go with the view of moving Ennis to lock.

AsPiRiNg YoUtH

Juniors
No way. I was watching games with Ennis in the season and he is something special. Much better than Berrigan.

Although i agree, lets put K to Halfback, And leave Hodges at FB. Although his mistake today was bad. He had no trust in Lockyer. I mean, Lockyer was pointing and Screaming yet he still came in. :x

Vicious

Bench
Lockyer plays mostly at 1st reciever, why not play him at halfback, Karmichael Hunt at 5/8 with Hodges at fullback and allowing Berrigan to partner Tate in the centres ???

AsPiRiNg YoUtH

Juniors
Because Lockyer is better at second reciever where he has more room to move. He fits into first reciever because i think that he feels he has to because the ball he get is always slow. Putting Hunt there would speed it up and get another general ballplayer with running and passing skills and just look at Hodges stats for today. Amazing at fullback.

1. Hodges
2. Kemp (Topou injured)
3.Tate
4. ??? Not Berrigan, better at hooker. Moon, but i think hes injured
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. Hunt

Our best possible backline. And one bennett need to do. Also i think our forwards were great today and can stay as we had experience AND youth. Hannat, Eastwood and Thaiday were awesome.

Leagueguy

Juniors
5 Reasons Hunt could play halfback:

1. Ego and intensity, he would have no hesitation calling for the ball and making decisions.
2. He is a mouth. He's the biggest talker in the team. He'd have no hesitation telling people what to do.
3. He has pretty good passing and kicking skills. Not perfectly refined but he certainly has good instincts. He has nice timing with his short passes and his short kicking game is excellent.
4. He runs hard. Brisbane need some thrust from halfback. Someone to take the ball forward and get them going. Hunts runs very hard and is fearless.
5. He's kind of unpredicatable. No ones kind of figured him out yet. He's got that unorthodox step and he seems to be almost playing basketball sometimes. Brisbane could really do with some variety, creativity and an X factor.

5 Reasons he might not be able to play halfback:

1. His defence in the frontline could be suspect.
2. Is he smart enough to direct the team in attack? I know he does it in defence but it might take him a while to do it in attack.
3. Would he handle the pressure of being rushed up on closer to the action? Maybe he needs space.
4. He isn't shaped like a traditional halfback. He'd be more in the Trent Barrett/Hornby mold.
5. He's only played halfback in trial games before. No matter his skill level or talents how would he handle the pressure of being thrown into finals football in a new position?

On balance I say at least give him a go. More than anything Brisbane have lacked creativity and intensity from their halfbacks. K has these in abundance.

AsPiRiNg YoUtH

Juniors
Good points, but what have we to lose? Really were lacking in the halfback department and even after todays greatest performance almost all year, it showed. Perry is not good enough. Hunt is a leader. And i think he would excel there as he did in the trials. I say do it. Its bound to happen as well, especially if Hodges has another outstanding game at fullback.

Leagueguy

Juniors
1. Hodges
2. Topou
3. Tate
4. Maguire
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. Hunt
8. Webcke
9. Ennis
10. Petero
11. Thorn
12. Parker
13. Caroll

Hannant
Eastwood
Thaiday
Berrigan

AsPiRiNg YoUtH

Juniors
In Origin who did most of the kicking? Lockyer. And it was perfect, and all they did was get the ball 2 passes wide for no pressure. And i'm sure thats something he could work on.

Leagueguy is that your line up for this year?

Leagueguy

Juniors
I've seen him kick before though. I thought he had a long kicking game? I don't know I'm just practicing wishful thinking. The reality is that he won't get played there and its probably the right thing to do. I wouldn't mind seeing them just test him once though.

QLD Fever

Juniors
next year they should get ben green early into first grade, he is a good organising 7 which would help locky alot, perry is injury prone and doesn't having a running game.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Next year we have Brent McConnell from the Cowboys. He will be a perfect no7 for us next year.

Raoul Duke

Juniors
Leagueguy said:
1. Hodges
2. Topou
3. Tate
4. Maguire
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. Hunt
8. Webcke
9. Ennis