What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Wasn't This Done Earlier!

Leagueguy

Juniors
I picked Maguire because if you leave Hodges at Fullback and move Hunt to number seven, who are you going to play in the centres? I thought about moving Eastwood there but he's better in the forwards. Stagg could play there but doesn't offer creativity. Maguire is a good defender and has some ball skills. It's a difficult problem. Who do you think we should put there if Hunt went to halfback?

QLD Fever

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Next year we have Brent McConnell from the Cowboys. He will be a perfect no7 for us next year.

yeah he is a good player a bit small but he has heart like he showed in the cowboys v rabbits game. just hope him , locky and ennis stay on the field for long enough to make a good combo.

salivor

First Grade
This thread should be renamed wishful thinking.

Seriously guys, you want to move a guy who has played his whole first grade career to date at fullback up into the front line after spending a couple of months on the sideline?

The guy is going to struggle for match fitness at fullback and you want to move him up to the front line that he's had no conditioning for? He'll be gone by halftime. Want to see what a player looks like without match fitness, go watch Locky in round 1, one of if not the worst game I've seen him play, he was dead on his feat and took about a month to come right.

Moving a player from fullback to halfback isn't a decision you make in round 24 of the competition and you certainly don't wait until his comeback match after a lengthy spell on the sidelines. That's a decision you have to make in the pre-season, get his conditioning right and give him game time in the trials. We did the later this year but Bennett chose not to entertain the option when the writing was on the wall that neither Seymour or Perry could cut it even before the season had kicked off.

It's too late now, though I'm all in favour of him getting a shot next year in the position (won't comment on McConnell having not seen him play).

P.S, in all the hypotheticals, Berrigan and Tate should never ever ever partner each other in the centres, 2 guys who make sure their wingers catch a cold is the last thing we need right now.

Leagueguy

Juniors
I'm surprised that you say that Salivor. I thought you'd pretty well written us off this season and wouldn't have objected to rolling to dice with Hunt at halfback. Adopting a sort of a what do we have to lose mentality. Or do you see it more as the current situation is bad, but moving Hunt there would make it even worse?

salivor

First Grade
Leagueguy said:
I'm surprised that you say that Salivor. I thought you'd pretty well written us off this season and wouldn't have objected to rolling to dice with Hunt at halfback. Adopting a sort of a what do we have to lose mentality. Or do you see it more as the current situation is bad, but moving Hunt there would make it even worse?

The latter, Perry is a better option at present even though he's not going too well.

The other issue I have is why the hell are we having to talk about rolling the dice now? Our attacking incompetence has been on show all season, the problems have been there for years now, if the coaching staff don't have the guts to make these types of changes pre-season then it's a bit late to try them when the ships sinking. Actually come to think of it, from the coaching staff's perspective it's a brilliant idea so that when Hunt fails after being thrown in at the deep end and having his head pushed under the water then they can use that as an excuse for years to come on why they should be sticking to the same old same old.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
bennett wont change things now. I've said it before that he likes to keep to the 'tried and true' even when it hasnt worked for 2 months. it took 5 years for him to talk about 're-inventing' the attack this year (which lasted maybe 2 rounds) and I've said it pelnty of tiems before that he doesnt like to blood new players at the back end of the year.

it seems that at the broncos unless you are a standout in the pre season you wont get a look in at the end of the year unless it's a token appearance to keep you at the club.

yes he took a gamble in moving hodges to fullbvack but thats a gamble which could have been done a while ago.

one of the reasons I believe teams such as ths storm, tigers and dragons (until the past month and a bit) ahve been successful is because they blood new players and if they platyw ell they keep them in first grade. they allow players time to adjust and use their youthful exuberance to boost the team. that doesnt happen often enough at the broncos. often you see thaiday sitting on the ebcnh till the back end of the second half.

the tigers team which flogged us was made up of players with hardly any first grade experience yet they had a go at things and came up on top. our older players dont seem as interested in having a go anymore, it's kinda like they've been taught to play safety first and dont take any chances.

the performance against the storm was for the most part a vast improvement except it highlighted our pedestrian attack and poor middle of the ruck defence

Dazzelx01

Juniors
If Ennis is fit latter in the year, maybe move him to halfback, Hunt fullback, Hodges centre and Berrigan still the no. 9. Ennis will give a decent ball to Lockyer as he does have a good passing game, and his kicking game is not worse than Perry's was today.

broncoman

Juniors
i doubt we'll see ennis again this season and if we do im certain he will be a bench player with Berrigan starting in the 9. We could probably get 30 minutes a game out of Ennis but thats it.

Latest posts