What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why we call it Man of the Match

Rexxy

Coach
Didn't Katherine Lumby recommend the term be changed to Person of the Match?

meltiger

First Grade
I heard NSW Opposition Leader Barry O'Farrell refer to winning the NRL premiership as "the flag" several times during the finals series.

Checked his history to find out he was originally from Victoria.

Barry, if you're going to pretend to be a league fan then at least use the correct terms.

Storm fans do it too, it's a simply what they grew up with. Even though I've lived here for 20 years, I still look at them funny when they do it lol But I do understand why.

I'd be shocked if too many real northerners called it that though, Peter Tunks is shocking, has he spent time in AFL states since retiring?!

FWIW - To the poster who mentioned what Collingwood won, as mentioned yes it was a trophy, but they will also unfurl their premiership flag at their first home game for 2011. The history I *think* is that the VFL didn't award a trophy. Though I could be wrong on that, I do know that within the last 10 years they (the AFL) actually went back and produced trophies for way back when for the premier teams (& I think actually made the clubs involved pay... lol)

Not sure if it's a Victorian thing, I know the VRU & VRL have at one point in their history does exactly the same thing. If you walk into Harlequins RU club for instance, they have all their premiership flags from various senior/colts grades on the wall. From memory, I saw something similar in a pub that used to be aligned with the old St Kilda RL club too. Pub doesn't exist anymore, so couldn't go check.

I agree with the article.

I heard "Best on Ground" a few times after the game and it just did not sound right.

There is nothing wrong with trying to preserve the heritage and culture of our game of Rugby League.

I believe it is a reasonable reaction with the way Kelvin Seedy is trying to ram it down our throats also.

Gavin likes to wear his flag on his back, it doesn't mean it is normal behaviour.

572395-kevin-sheedy.jpg

russ13

First Grade
OK thanks for that was unaware.

For those saying, ''who gives a f**k'' if we call refs, umpires, if we call touchlines, bondaries, if we call the NRL trophy "the flag" etc....well, if we call it that and all the more, we end up talking about something that is NOT rugby league.

'Boundary Riders,' I'll bet is another Victorianism for sideline commentators (usually female).

1110_sterger_cb_sp.jpg

PHOTOS: Scandals plague beautiful boundary riders.

http://news.ninemsn.com/world/8103274/rugby-coach-mitchell-stabbed-in-hotel-room

forward pass

Coach
Another, admittedly very minor, annoyance is when the commentators keep saying after the game "Such and such have won the Grand Final, such and such have won the Grand Final". The GF is just one game so winning that is not the achievement. Winning the 'premiership' - that is the achievement and they should refer to it as that !!

Minor thing I know - just bugs me!