What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why we lost – my take

carpe

Juniors
Why we lost – my take
Why we lost the grand final? This question will be in heart and minds of PARRA fans for months to come. Some says Tony Archer‘s horrendous decision robbed us the GF, some say we conceded some soft tries. But this is my take on this. The first two quick tries was the disaster. I don’t know what happened there. Our goal line defence was good for last 10 matches. Why we let those two tries was beyond me. Probably Ando knows.
We were not up to the game. We all know Inglis, how devastating he can be. Yet we weren’t ready. That surprised me a bit.
5th tackle option was terrible. We kept on kicking to Steve Turner, yet we never tried putting a bomb across Slater. Slater has history of bucking under pressure. We saw that when we eventually put a high bomb on Slater. I do not know whether it is a game plan or we did not do our homework.
Again – 5th tackle option, we did not have sting in our attack. I would squarely blame on Robson. I would think being No 7 he is a playmaker. That brings to the topic of Robson. He is a defensive No 7 but I think he lacks creativity. His kicking game is terrible. With a young No6, we needed experienced No 7. I do not think KK can fill the No 7 shoe. We need to have a good No 1, No 6/7 and No 9.
Hayne, was no shower. Yes gentleman Hayne was a passenger to me. What he showed he can do, in last couple of weeks, against Storm he was completely shut out. In fact I felt, he was not himself against Dogs. I thought he would go 1 level higher in GF, which was not supposed to be.
The last but not least important factor is attitude of NRL towards Melb storm. I understand they want to promote the game, but at what cost. They get special preference in terms of media coverage as well on the field. I would like to know how Storm manages so many Rep players every year. They are doing something which we are not doing. Yet team like us, we loose players in abundance after every GF appearance. Referring sucked big time. Storm was continuously slowing down the game yet ref turned blind eye. Some of the forward passes were not called. I mean, how much NRL can stoop low.
A big rap on Fui from me. He played out of his skin. In fact he brought sparks into the sleeping, lethargic eel.

fish eel

Immortal
We lost because Melbourne were better than us. We missed a couple of crucial one on ones and then failed to challenge for a bomb. You can't gift a side like Melbourne points and expect to win.

Being a bit tough on Hayne describing him as a passenger. Cleaned up a couple of dangerous kicks in the first half and still ran for 170 odd metres I think. I guess though he has set a very high benchmark for himself and if he doesnt produce some magic people will say he went missing.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe more credit should be given to Melbourne for wining, rather than trying to dissect why we lost.

yy_cheng

Coach
My answer is still Stage Fright.

Alot of the players were worried that they would screw up and did not take the responsibility of doing what they normally do.

On Hayne, I thought he was well contained in the last 3 matches but yeah, he tried his damnest. He wasn't MIA. It's just that some stuff didn't come off like it did earlier.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Melbourne are good no doubt. However, we had that game by the neck in the last 20. Was it Inu that kicked on the first tackle near the try line? Then it was Lowrie. Thats potentially 2 tries.

Raudonikis

Juniors
Cirque ur a goose...As i have said if people go watch the game they recorded you will see it was a good game of footy but melb were just a little bit better..Parra had chances in that first half but none of em came off.

Melbourne are good no doubt. However, we had that game by the neck in the last 20. Was it Inu that kicked on the first tackle near the try line? Then it was Lowrie. Thats potentially 2 tries.

Inu tried to throw a magic pill on the first when we were hammering their line....that was the one that Turner knocked on I think??

We win will the GF next year there without doubt, i think we will be so much better for the run.
Melb had class that we lacked.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
I have to agree that more credit is due to Melbourne. They were very, very good. They lifted a gear.

The good sign for the Eels - we still nearly pinched it in the end.

I thought the Storm's first half tries were just very well constructed. They got the Eels worrying about the "stars" which allowed Hoffman and Blair to hit holes HARD. They weren't the most flashy or entertaining tries, but they were very skillfully crafted.

The tries that were killers were the Inglis and Slater tries, especially the former. It just shouldn't have been scored, PERIOD.

I think there was an element of stage fright in the Eels' performance with the footy and especially in terms of fifth tackle options ... that said, I think they acquited themselve reasonably well. Moi Moi and Grothe in particularly were AWESOME, while Hindmarsh bared his soul in defence.

In closing - what was wrong with the Inu offload? If it hit the mark, it was a try for sure ... and we got it back from the scrum with six more tackles regardless. Good stuff. Inu losing the ball on the first tackle coming out of our end earlier in the match was the burner.

I have to agree that more credit is due to Melbourne. They were very, very good. They lifted a gear.

The good sign for the Eels - we still nearly pinched it in the end.

I thought the Storm's first half tries were just very well constructed. They got the Eels worrying about the "stars" which allowed Hoffman and Blair to hit holes HARD. They weren't the most flashy or entertaining tries, but they were very skillfully crafted.

The tries that were killers were the Inglis and Slater tries, especially the former. It just shouldn't have been scored, PERIOD.

I think there was an element of stage fright in the Eels' performance with the footy and especially in terms of fifth tackle options ... that said, I think they acquited themselve reasonably well. Moi Moi and Grothe in particularly were AWESOME, while Hindmarsh bared his soul in defence.

In closing - what was wrong with the Inu offload? If it hit the mark, it was a try for sure ... and we got it back from the scrum with six more tackles regardless. Good stuff. Inu losing the ball on the first tackle coming out of our end earlier in the match was the burner.

I not sure so sure that it didn't go forward even and wasn't picked up??? Could be wrong though.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
The one I'm thinking of that I thought people were referring to was knocked down by Turner (Burt unmarked outside him) and we got the scrum feed 10m out.

Weels

Juniors
The reason Parra lost was rather simple. Hayne tried to do it all, & failed miserably.:eek: His last tackle option was the same all game, kick to Turner's chest.
Was that the game plan, :pray: was he to get just about every last tackle ball?
I think Jarred & Parra have been brainwashed by all the publicity he's been getting. The newspapers & the Ch 9 callers just go over the top,when some young bloke shows that he has something special.

When they get hit with a bad game or two it can play with their mind, and it can take a while for them to get that special something going again.
Is that what has happened, or was it just a plain old awful game plan????

:thumb

born an eel

Bench
maybe we should have been 2 metres off side like they were to put the extra pressure on their kickers.

strider

Post Whore
yeah as a few ppl said ... we lost cos we let in a couple of soft tries - didn't man up properly for 3 of them and then no one contested a bomb .... sh*t happens

Voodoo Rock

Juniors
we lost to a more experienced hardened clinical team that was better on the day. Did it hurt to lose sure it did, but lets look at where the team came from and where it got to and we all have to be proud of what was achieved in 2009