What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why we shouldnt lose the points....

JJ

Immortal
it has to be the points - there's no credibility otherwise

Frankly the same "poor players" argument came out when the Dulldog's were caught, when the Warriors were caught etc etc etc

If the administrators are unethical or incompetent (I suspect a combination of both in thios case and the former in the Doggies and Warriors) then get new administrators - but you can't let it go... simple as that

Pierced Soul

First Grade
JJ said:
it has to be the points - there's no credibility otherwise

Frankly the same "poor players" argument came out when the Dulldog's were caught, when the Warriors were caught etc etc etc

If the administrators are unethical or incompetent (I suspect a combination of both in thios case and the former in the Doggies and Warriors) then get new administrators - but you can't let it go... simple as that

spot on. dogs lost points and they werent awarded to other teams. I dont want GB awarded the points but the kiwis must be stripped of the points. I also like the idea of fien being abnned from rep footy for several years, although if the kiwi's are serious about this issue he'd be immediately stood down from the squad and never picked again for the kiwi's in any rep team.

JoeD

First Grade
I agree that we should lose the points however in the NRL at least when teams have been docked points mid season (the warriors '95 and the dogs '02) those points have not been awarded to the other team and IIRC the for and against was not effected. If this was the case in this situation the kiwis would have chance to make the final. If we are no chance whats the point in playing?

JoeD

First Grade
I also like the idea of fien being abnned from rep footy for several years,
It depends, i haven't heard anything from Fein yet. If he told the NZRL at the beginning that it was his great grandmother then I don't see he has done anything wrong.

britain can't get the two points for losing. kiwis will lose the two points unless the rules have nothing about the consequences

ozbash

Referee
Lowie says,

Former Kiwis coach Graham Lowe is calling for heads to roll over the Nathan Fien eligibility scandal, saying a lot of people must have known Fien should not have played for New Zealand.

New Zealand rugby league chairman Selwyn Bennett has been at the centre of most of the criticism so far for allowing Fien to play in the Tri-Nations while aware that it was his great-grandmother, not grandmother, who was born in New Zealand.

Lowe says a lot more people than just Bennett must have known that Fien was on the wrong side of the rules. He says they are all as guilty as each other for allowing it to happen.

Lowe says the the problem is the ongoing hunt for Australian talent to take New Zealand positions, rather than a lack of depth. He believes selectors need to start looking at the local talent on show in the Bartercard Cup. He says if selectors will not pick Bartercard players, there is little point in even having the competition. :clap: :clap:

New Zealand Rugby League has until 5.00pm Wednesday to submit a written defence to the Fien case before a decision will be made by the International Rugby Federation in a teleconference on Thursday.

nadera78

Juniors
As far as I'm aware the bulldogs and warriors cases were about those clubs breaking the salary cap over the course of a season and being docked points as a punishment for a years' worth of cheating. This is different in that regard.

I don't know how it works in other countries but over here if you play an ineligible player the match is awarded to the other team with an 18-0 scoreline. That should apply to both games Fien played in, but obviously the Aussies won the first game so it's irrelevant there, but the GB game it is still a valid option. If it's good enough for the amateur game to abide by a set of rules why not for the internationals?

Martli

Coach
I don't think the poms should get the points becuase there is no way we can prove they'd win if Fein wasn't there. But in fairness the kiwis should lose the points.

And douglasallen91 - There are apparently no rules on consequences at the moment. They are talking either a loss of points of a fine.

Micistm

Bench
Hey Nook, totally agree with you, just playing Devils advocate there for a second!
No way, no how, do I blame Aussie RL for this at all. Like all NZ fans I'm gutted and just trying to make sense of it. I mainly feel sad- As a Warriors fan I had to watch my team miss out of the playoffs due to ****wit management...Now as a Kiwi fan, like most been looking forward to this comp all year- Same old story. My anger is 100% directed at those responsible, which are the NZRL head honchos.
The games been suffering somewhat in NZ for a while, this tops it off perfectly. IMO people have to go over this one.

screeny

Bench
strip 'em of two points, and the points difference v GB match one.

That way the match is null and void apart from NZ losing the two points (which is the punishment) and also means the two performances v Australia and the final Kiwi GB match will decide who's in the final.

Nightward

Juniors
I dunno. I think that at minimum, Fein should be banned for a period equal to the time taken to ualify for residency plus the matches he represented NZ for but was inelligable to do so. That might mean he goes out until '08, and it may or may not be the NZRL's fault, but there you go.

Points and fines are up to the review board. I don't have a stong opinion either way, though, so I'd just be flipping a coin.

Latest posts