What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop is Returning to NRL

Dorsai

Juniors
I think we will see a different Hunt at 7 next year. Under Griffin, he should improve as long as we can get the forwards moving.

Bird in my opinion, was a mistake and will spend more time off the field than on it. Injuries just follow him round. That’s why the dragons let him go the first time.

personally, if we could do something with Norman, then Widdop would be a great buy. On that money, he would be excellent to share the load for hunt. Norman however, unless his game completely turns around, offers little.

the forwards is where we are still light on though. This pack still has the tendency to be run over giving the playmakers no opportunity.

I think we will see a different Hunt at 7 next year. Under Griffin, he should improve as long as we can get the forwards moving.

Bird in my opinion, was a mistake and will spend more time off the field than on it. Injuries just follow him round. That’s why the dragons let him go the first time.

personally, if we could do something with Norman, then Widdop would be a great buy. On that money, he would be excellent to share the load for hunt. Norman however, unless his game completely turns around, offers little.

the forwards is where we are still light on though. This pack still has the tendency to be run over giving the playmakers no opportunity.
Unless there are some stunning signings, I cannot see this group of players even with a new coach being premiership/championship material. As has been said the forwards apart from one or two exceptions, are nothing to write home about. There is a chance of a top eight finish but that is about all. Hope I am proved wrong.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Seems to me sometime the difference between winning and losing is all to do with the coach and player confidence if HOOK Can get the boys firing I'm excited my prediction 7th this year and expect the team that plays in the semis will be completely different to the first round ............theres a whisper that there's something in the air recruitment wise ....lets see

redv13

Bench
Seems to me sometime the difference between winning and losing is all to do with the coach and player confidence if HOOK Can get the boys firing I'm excited my prediction 7th this year and expect the team that plays in the semis will be completely different to the first round ............theres a whisper that there's something in the air recruitment wise ....lets see
So what’s the whisper???

getsmarty

Immortal
Gareth Widdop returns to the UK ahead of Warrington pre-season return
Matthew Shaw 03/01/2021

Gareth Widdop has returned to the UK ahead of Warrington Wolves’ return to pre-season.

Widdop, whose future has been the subject of intense speculation, returned to Australia for the winter and there was a strong belief in some quarters that he wouldn’t return, cutting short his time in Super League.

But League Express understands the England international has returned to the country and is set to link up with the club when they return to training this Friday.

Widdop’s representatives have been trying to secure him an NRL return for several months to ensure he can be closer to his family, but the 31-year-old, who is one year into a three-season deal with the Wolves, would have needed to take a substantial pay cut to return down under.

Wests Tigers were the club most strongly linked with the former NRL star, who spent ten years in Australia with Melbourne and St George Illawarra Dragons.

Warrington have remained relaxed on the matter and though they will welcome Widdop’s presence should he stay, they are not in a rush to replace him, with Stefan Ratchford and Riley Dean both capable of playing in the halves, while Jake Mamo and Matty Ashton provide fullback cover.

Widdop scored five tries in 14 games during his first year with Warrington, but wasn’t named as part of Shaun Wane’s pool of players in the England reckoning.

https://www.totalrl.com/widdop-returns-to-warrington/

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
So the pull of the $ was stronger than the pull of family.

Honour your contract Gaz*

*well, honour this one..

Gareth67

First Grade
Perhaps he had no other option then to return to the U.K. so as to make a living so his family could have food on the table ?

In these times of great uncertainty a man needs to make great sacrifices , more so for his love ones .

Last edited:

goldiesaintz

Juniors
I've always been pro Widdop but with two should refurbs, he's one decent tackle away from what happened twice before. I think in the nrl, he'll get found out. Unfortunately, Bird is in the same category.

Both great players though, especially Gareth.

Gareth67

First Grade
E9B8AA4C-B0F4-4206-8099-471EB60CA30F.jpeg

“ Have you been drinking blood again Gaza ? “

“ Honestly Jimmy , I didn’t realize that he was one of our teammates - I thought he was an opposition player . . . “