What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

widnes vikings

bartman

Immortal
God-King Dean said:
Cheers. I didn't know that. Thanks for an answer ;-)
No worries. A lot more to the Vikings (of old, not Widnes) than just their popular image. Responsible for settling Iceland as well, and the start of one of the oldest continuous democracies in the world.

I got interested when I moved to an old Viking town (York, or Jorvik as it was then known).

roughyedspud

Coach
the vikings were here for nearly 200 years.........

remind me again how old australia is?? 219???

come back son when you have some history;-)

deluded pom?

Coach
bartman said:
I got interested when I moved to an old Viking town (York, or Jorvik as it was then known).

Jeez you must be old bartman if York was called Jorvik when you moved there!

bartman

Immortal
Either that or I headed straight for the Viking Centre on arrival... and thought that was all there was to the town?

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, it's not a bad place to work rest and play... big enough and small enough to suit most purposes.

westie

Bench
deluded pom? said:
Tigers obviously roamed the jungles of Leichardt. Knights jousted on the plains of the Hunter Valley as Vikings landed on the NSW coast. Oops, nearly forgot about the panthers stalking around the forests of the Blue Mountains. FFS. Give me strength. How old are you Dean? ten? Eleven?

I seem to recall something of a myth regarding a wild panther or cougar or some such living in the BM.

bartman

Immortal
deluded pom? said:
And it's not too far from Hull ;-) :lol:
Hull's not bad actually... Had a few friends from down South give it a ribbing, and it might have a bit of reputation, but I've always enjoyed weekends spent over in the east.

God-King Dean

Immortal
deluded pom? said:
So IF you ARE from convict stock then my history is your history.

We choose to forget that & move on & make a nice history of our own.

Why do you think our country with such a small population floggs you at every sport you invent ? :lol:

Pea hearts.

dibviking

Juniors
The town of Widnes was given its name by the Vikings who called it Vid-ness meaning Wide-nose due to its position on the river Mersey, over yrs it was shortened to Widnes hence why we are the Widnes Vikings!

There aint many bulls in Bradford or Rhinos in Leeds is there?

bartman

Immortal
Cheers for that dib... good to have some local history to confirm the origins of the team name!

deluded pom?

Coach
bartman said:
Hull's not bad actually... Had a few friends from down South give it a ribbing, and it might have a bit of reputation, but I've always enjoyed weekends spent over in the east.

And I bet your friends from the south have never even been to Hull.

deluded pom?

Coach
God-King Dean said:
We choose to forget that & move on & make a nice history of our own.

Why do you think our country with such a small population floggs you at every sport you invent ? :lol:

Pea hearts.

We have to invent games for you to play to brighten up your otherwise dull little lives thousands of miles away from any culture. ;-)

bartman

Immortal
deluded pom? said:
And I bet your friends from the south have never even been to Hull.
Exactly. I've set them right... freindly pubs, and a warm welcome at the KC - although perhaps I just struck a good day ;-)

God-King Dean

Immortal
deluded pom? said:
We have to invent games for you to play to brighten up your otherwise dull little lives thousands of miles away from any culture. ;-)

:lol: True loser talk

How many gold medals did your country get last Olympics compared the Australias 19 million population ?

deluded pom?

Coach
But we also failed to win any medals at the Bull$hit Olympics where Australia swept the board for the tenth year running.

Latest posts