What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wiki gone

ripper

What some of you are saying is bullshieza.

This is professional sport were talking about, the Superleague War/World Rugby Corp show that, even in the Rugby Codes where Loyality is the buzz word, it cant match the wads of the green stuff.

As a Warriors Bandwagoner I Say good on him!

jed

First Grade
Congrats on a great signing, ripper. But I'm still very disappointed, that feeling will never pass.

It is disappointing to see Ruben leave. The club will not be the same. Woodgers and Hrundi have put to electronic paper what a lot of people are feeling about this, so I don't need to say how invaluable he is to the Green Machine.

I wish Ruben all the best, as the decision he has made was obviously a tough one, but when you look at what was offered to him it is easy to see why he couldn't say no. Would you say no to returning to your home land, where there are family difficulties, and be paid twice as much as the offer from your club? I know that I would take the offer. He is the NZ captain, and by remaining in the NRL he is able to continue that, as well as helping out his fellow countrymen, and be closer to his family. Whilst I am sure he would of loved to stay green, the offer was too good.

The Raiders management cannot really be blamed here. They have $3.25 million to spend, and cannot spend over. They did make an unofficial offer to him about a post-player position, but it could not be put in the contract due to salary cap restrictions. They offered all they could, and came up second best.

The same thing will go with Monaghan. I will be upset, but sympathetic with his decision. He is showing foresight in his choice. If we didn't have 8 1st grade players off contract next season I would have no doubt he already would be signed. But with players like Schif, Rhino, Germ, Statue, Hindmarsh etc all off contract next year, it may well be difficult to keep all players here. He wants to weigh up his options, where he can play better football. Yeah, the Raiders poured money into his development, got him running faster than Rucho. I hope the kid stays loyal, but I have a feeling he wont be. I believe the club is doing all it can to keep him, but in the end it comes down to his choice. If he wants to wear the green jersey, he will stay. If not, then the road begins again and the youngsters we have will have to step up. Professional sports is a tough game, for players, staff and us supporters too.

greeneyed

First Grade
And I thought I was the only one who got teary at the football!

I remember going to the SCG for the Raiders first ever Grand Final appearance. I got this overwhelming feeling as I just walked through stands and the ground unfolded in front of me. This was the scene of hundreds of legendary games, many grand finals, the place where heros have been made and players have been broken. It was like a wall of atmosphere hit me in the face. I remember the pride in seeing the Raiders run onto the ground. I was hoping we could overcome our underdog status but it wasn't to be. I was sitting in the tiny Dally Messenger Stand and remember the sinking feeling as Manly did their lap of honour. But I was proud of the team.

1988 was a good season, but we didn't make it to the decider. But then in 1989, we finished equal 5th and stormed through the semi finals. Length of the field tries against Cronulla..... overcoming Penrith in the second half... and overcoming the minor Premiers Souths.... On to the Grand Final against Balmain at the SFS. The national anthem... I just couldn't hold back the emotions and what a ride the game was. And then, the tears of joy as the Raiders ran past our seat on the cornerpost.

In terms of retirements, I remember Meninga, Daley... I was there in Melbourne when Stuart and Clyde ran off the field in a Raiders jersey for the last time... but the most emotional was when Chris O'Sullivan and Chicka Ferguson and I think Dean Lance ran out onto the then Bruce Stadium for the last home game. What a great clubman Sully was. He was there at the start. He went through the hard times. And he was there at the top of the hill when the Raiders won two Premierships in 1989 and 1990. And what a player Chicka was for us. He scored the try that helped us draw level in the 1989 Grand Final. He was one of the most loved players we have ever had. Every week, the crowd would chant Chicka, Chicka, Chicka.... I don't mind saying the tears welled up again, as O'Sullivan and Ferguson ran onto the field.

I am very sad Wiki is leaving us. He has been very loyal over 11 seasons and served the club with great distinction.

I don't think he will live in the memories quite like those who played out their careers with the team, though.

The supporters tie themselves to the club forever. We don't get paid for the privilege. In fact, we very willingly pay. Our weeks are focussed on the teams fortunes right through the season... and even in the offseason.... I know for the players, it is their job. They have to look after themselves and their families. And club managements are not necessarily loyal to them.

But it is the players who show unending loyalty to the club that the supporters remember most.

GreenGuy

The really disappointing thing is that we won't win a premiership for a long time now. Canberra just can't seem to attract a decent player anymore with the exception of a couple. Maybe its time the NRL gave us special salary cap dispensation ala the swans and brisbane in the afl?

Bay56

First Grade
GreenGuy said:
The really disappointing thing is that we won't win a premiership for a long time now. Canberra just can't seem to attract a decent player anymore with the exception of a couple. Maybe its time the NRL gave us special salary cap dispensation ala the swans and brisbane in the afl?

Greenguy .... dont make me laugh ... the only team they give a salary cap dispensation is the rooters :lol: :lol:

greeneyed

First Grade
If only Joel Monaghan really understood what being with the Raiders for life could be like for him. What he would feel when he makes a premiership with his boyhood team, the team he grew up following, and the team he made his NRL debut with. I hope he thinks about that.

edabomb

First Grade
We should get Lewis and Rooney on the ringer to him. Those guys lived the dream last year.

budz

Juniors
I mean even though i so signing Wiki is a good move in the next year or so, i dont know if it will be a good move going into his 3rd year on his contract. Wiki is already 32 which is pretty old, and i just hope he has the legs to hold him up in a couple of years.

Raiders Rock

Juniors
Hey, Wiki & Monnas leaving may seem big now, but check out the list of players coming off contract next year... our troubles haven't even started yet... :( :( :(

legend

Coach
We should have at least 500k to spend on contract upgrades now that Wiki and Joel are gone.

Reverse psychology on the Joel situation. :cry:

greeneyed

First Grade
If we do lose all of Davico and Wiki (both confirmed) AND Monaghan... then we must be hundreds and hundreds of thousands below the cap, with little prospect of signing ANY players of note....... What a monumental cock up. No wonder Elliott looked so grim on WIN TV news last night. His job will surely be on the line if we lose Monaghan as well.

I had actually been quite encouraged by an interview on the ABC radio that I heard with Joel... he really seemed genuine that he didn't really want to leave, and seemed to be struggling with the decision to leave.

The results on the field tonight and the scoreline, however, won't help us convince him to stay.

Perenara

Juniors
His family lives in New Zealand, he always planned to move back here.... he's good friends with all the Warriors boys and most importantly he has his childrens future to think about. By the time he retires in 3 years time he will be hapilly settled and set-up in what will be his home land for the rest of his life.