What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wiki, Monaghan to test player market

thickos

First Grade
sourced from The Telegraph

Player Manager Jim Banaghan :evil: has ended negotiations with the Raiders over his two high profile clients Ruben Wiki and Joel Monaghan, claiming both will test the market to determine their 'true worth.'

Wiki is keen to organise life post-football and is looking for employment in football after this next contract ends. Banaghan is fielding offers from the ESL already.

Monaghan has said 'My heart is here' and wants to stay, but is keen to negotiate a good price through Banaghan.

--------------------------------------

I say screw this Banaghan guy! :evil:

legend

Coach
All is not lost. Rhys Wesser said the same thing last year and still signed well before June 30th so it's just a way of the players bargaining although it is a little worrying.

mike83au

Juniors
Monaghan and Wiki weighing things up before re-signing
By Steve Mascord (Sydney Morning Herald)
May 31, 2004

Canberra pair Joel Monaghan and Ruben Wiki yesterday told the club they would not be re-signing before the June 30 anti-tampering deadline.

Centre Monaghan scored three tries in Saturday night's 48-22 win over Manly at Canberra Stadium but could now be joining brother Michael at the Sea Eagles.

Agent Jim Banaghan, who represents Monaghan and Wiki, met with Raiders coach Matthew Elliott and general manager Don Furner at Canberra Airport yesterday morning.

"I informed the Raiders that Ruben would not be re-signing before June 30 - he wants to wait and assess his options on the open market, both here and overseas," said Banaghan.

"He also wants to contemplate his career post-playing. This will be his last contract and there are a lot of things to consider.

"Joel wants to wait for a couple of reasons. He wants to see who the club signs for next year and how the Raiders position themselves for the season ahead.

"And he wants to gauge his market worth, find out if there is any interest out there from other clubs."

Banaghan again asserted that the Raiders had made no "firm" offer for Monaghan, explaining "the only offer from them is one we turned down in February".

"The right decision is the right decision - whether it is in June or August," said Banaghan.

The news on Monaghan will be welcomed by Manly, who were outgunned in the second half after the scores were tied 16-16 at half-time. The Sea Eagles hope to have Sam Harris (back), Shayne Dunley (chest) and Chad Randall (hamstring) return for Sunday's game against Penrith.

The Raiders, who unveiled a new brand of flashy attack in Saturday's game, will have Luke Davico (ribs) and Ian Hindmarsh (quadriceps) back to play against the Warriors on Sunday.

Edwahu

Bench
Farkin player managers. Wouldnt be the first time we are screwed over by them. Hopefully Manly are not to crazily keen on Monas and dont offer him a ridiculous amount. He is a 150k Player max.

I am a bit worried about Muss though. I reckon the Warriors would kill to get him and they have the cash plus its the one club Muss would go to if he left us.

legend

Coach
I doubt Wiki would go to the Warriors, given their current state. Of the Sydney clubs, expect the Bulldogs, Tigers, Sharks and Eels to make bids on Joel, especially the last two. The Dragons and Roosters will struggle to keep their own players whilst the Broncos probably wouldn't be interested and Penrith would be at their cap limit after signing everyone from last years grand final winning side.

I'd be shattered if we lost Joel. At least with Wiki, you can understand but I doubt he'd leave the club anyway but losing Joel would mean we have to find ourselves another 20 try per season player and they don't grow on trees.

paulquinn49

Bench
legend said:
losing Joel would mean we have to find ourselves another 20 try per season player and they don't grow on trees.

yeah they grow in Tamworth. Still Joel would be a big loss

Oh man, that's not good news. I'd be shattered if we lost one or the other! They're both so vital to our team's success. I hate player managers. :evil:

Raider Ultra

Bench
Player managers are a cancer. I suspect Monaghan wanted to sign, but Banaghan wants a larger 5% so he advised him to wait, f*cking parasite.

The Colonel

Immortal
On Fox I noted that Monaghan stated at the end of the game that "he'd been in Canberra for 22 years and that he was looking at staying for another 22". I would hope that he stays but if not I'd like to see him come to a decent club..... ;-)

Colonel Eel said:
On Fox I noted that Monaghan stated at the end of the game that "he'd been in Canberra for 22 years and that he was looking at staying for another 22". I would hope that he stays but if not I'd like to see him come to a decent club..... ;-)
Too bad Parra's out. ;-) :lol:

This really is bad news, because if he's fielding offers from ESL, they will literally throw the chequebook at Ruben. I can understand that he wants to look after his family, but hopefully the Raiders will make a good enough offer to sway his mind towards loyalty.

woodgers

Bench
Ruben could go on for another 8 years at this rate. Why not stay at Canberra for 2 and try for another premiership and then go to England for the cash.

Also, Joel is a real concern. He has been really dismissive from the start of this whole thing but won't resign. I think he is keen to go to Manly but surely must see after Saturday night that here is the best option.

Mick is NOT coming back. Bay25 got is right from the horses mouth on Saturday night when he said he made it clear he was staying in Manly. I had a feeling the women around that area might ruin us.

Beaver_Online

Juniors
Why are you all worried? Both players are clearly trying to raise their value and will go back to Canberra with an offer that can either be agreed to or refused.

I wouldn't be surprised if both players stay, albeit on more valuable contracts then they are probably currently being offered, but then why wouldn't they. Wiki was superb on Saturday night as was Monaghan.

PS - Can Canberra Stadium operators invest in some heating by any chance...us Sydney folk are not quite used to your icy weather.

:)

PPS - Excellent game on Saturday night - your mob blew us off the park. They were faultless in the second half. And I was surprised how friendly the locals were, despite the visitors suffering a hiding...most winning supporters are usually up for a gloat.

RainMan

Juniors
Edwahu said:
Hopefully Manly are not to crazily keen on Monas and dont offer him a ridiculous amount. He is a 150k Player max.

Manly are very keen on him, thats why there are all these rumours around that it is a done deal. If you think he is only worth 150k a year max, then expect him to move somewhere else IMO.

mike83au

Juniors
RainMan said:
Edwahu said:
Hopefully Manly are not to crazily keen on Monas and dont offer him a ridiculous amount. He is a 150k Player max.

Manly are very keen on him, thats why there are all these rumours around that it is a done deal. If you think he is only worth 150k a year max, then expect him to move somewhere else IMO.

That's not necassarily the case. Say we offer him a contract of around $180k - to me, that is equivelent to a contract of about $220-250k in Sydney. Cost of living in the ACT isn't as much as it is in Sydney.

At the end of the day, it's gonna be up to Joel as to whether he wants to stay or not. I just have a feeling the his player manager is doing what is best for Joel in terms of trying to get the best possible deal @ the Raiders by saying that he'll be looking elsewhere.

I reckon it might be a bluff but we'll just wait & see.... like i said - it's up to Joel.

Latest posts