What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wiki, Monaghan to test player market

Mal Meninga

Bench
How much did it cost to re-sign Toots? Muss would expect something alot bigger considering his productivity and loyalty.

legend

Coach
Toots is the exempt player under the salary cap I think. Does anyone know how many player we have off contract this year?

Raider_69

Post Whore
i read that this morning and nearly spat my coke out
if either arnt signed before june 30 ill be mega pissed!!!

Edwahu

Bench
As I have said many times before, lets just cheat the cap and keep them all plus buy a few more.

Raider_69

Post Whore
They will both stay
Wiki is a gun and wont want to leave, all we need is to offer him some role for his after footy career - and why not, he is a champions

and Monnas quote sums it up, if we offer him what he is worth he will stay, we only have to worry if the managment try and screw him out of some $$

Raider_69 said:
They will both stay
Wiki is a gun and wont want to leave, all we need is to offer him some role for his after footy career - and why not, he is a champions

and Monnas quote sums it up, if we offer him what he is worth he will stay, we only have to worry if the managment try and screw him out of some $$

Quite frankly, that's what I'm worried about. The Raiders management seem to be a tight-arsed bunch...

Raider_69

Post Whore
I Bleed Green said:
Raider_69 said:
They will both stay

Quite frankly, that's what I'm worried about. The Raiders management seem to be a tight-arsed bunch...

true but surely they can see this bloke isnt one we should toy around with
get his sig on a contract ASAP! - he will play S.O.O one day, weather that be at the raiders or else where

Anonymous

Juniors
*SIGH*

I was afraid this would happen. Management has learned the hard way that cash is the only way to hold onto top talent. So I think they will give them what they want in the end.

I guess this means bye bye any chance of getting Orford.......

thickos

First Grade
We are not likely to get Orford anyway. I think Elliott is right, Joel is the #1 priority. 32 tries in a season in a half from a player is extremely rare, we need to keep and nurture this talent. He could be anything.

Evergreen

Juniors
As Beaver mentioned earlier - DO NOT WORRY about a player manager's typical bullsh!t to help drive the price up. Wiki is not going anywhere, he has very strong family ties in Queanbeyan and it's clearly evident he is a one club man after the Warriors fiasco a decade ago, while Monas will definitely be receiving an excellent offer considering club management have kept him as a number 1 priority throughout the negotiation process.

Player managers are extremely predictable. We will be seeing a lot of this sort of crap over the next couple of weeks concerning every player coming off contract. Managers are there to make money and spreading rumours about 'testing the market' is the best way of doing so.

edabomb

First Grade
Have the management ever tied anyone up before June 30th?? I'm going to be a very frustrated fan if either of these two players are let go, because our current squad doesn't equal 3.25million. All the super league contracts are gone, if we had to let go Lolesi and M_Monas and can't even sign these two it'll be a disgrace

Bay56

First Grade
Recent comments by both players would suggest they are both certainties to stay in Canberra .... now its up to Raiders management to keep them happy with a few extra dollars.

If we loose both we will have taken a giant step backwards in regaining our position as regular finals contenders.

Most importantly management should also realise that to entice players of their calibre to the Raiders will be a bigger strain on the salary cap than keeping them here. If they do not realise this they should all get out of the boardroom and leave player negotiations to me !!!!!

Does anyone agree I should take over the job of negotiating with these two players. :) :)

GO THE RAIDERS IN 04

mike83au

Juniors
While the past Raiders management have been shocking - I think we should give these guys the benefit of the doubt SO FAR.

Last year was an important year, in terms of signings, and minus Lolesi & Mick Monas, I think they did a pretty good job resigning some very important players.

I just don't think there's any point of jumping up and down right now....

Raider Azz

Bench
If that is true, then Joel's manager is a wanker. There was an interview with him in today's Canberra Times and he was saying "I belive Joel is a future representative player and I want him to be where he has a chance of being selected". Well he aint gonna be selected over in England :roll:

greeneyed

First Grade
It said on WIN TV news that WIKI was a chance of finishing his career in England, not Monaghan. The comment from Phil Small was that if indeed we do lose Ruben Wiki to England, then that might free up some space in the salary cap for new signings.

Well, I think that is crazy. I think if we lose any player, it would be Croker who should retire in England, not Wiki. Wiki is far too valuable as a forward leader to lose. Only we have signed up Croker - I know he is a Raiders legend and I would hate to see him play for any other NRL club, but he is now injury prone at this stage of his career - before the two players we really must keep.

Other comments on the WIN News related to the selection of the team and Davico on the bench etc which has been already covered.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Well, I think that is crazy. I think if we lose any player, it would be Croker who should retire in England, not Wiki. Wiki is far too valuable as a forward leader to lose. Only we have signed up Croker - I know he is a Raiders legend and I would hate to see him play for any other NRL club, but he is now injury prone at this stage of his career - before the two players we really must keep.

that was what i was getting at when i though toots should maybe retire

Latest posts