What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wiki, Monaghan to test player market

Monaghan and Wiki weighing things up before re-signing
By Steve Mascord (Sydney Morning Herald)
May 31, 2004

Canberra pair Joel Monaghan and Ruben Wiki yesterday told the club they would not be re-signing before the June 30 anti-tampering deadline.

Centre Monaghan scored three tries in Saturday night's 48-22 win over Manly at Canberra Stadium but could now be joining brother Michael at the Sea Eagles.

Agent Jim Banaghan, who represents Monaghan and Wiki, met with Raiders coach Matthew Elliott and general manager Don Furner at Canberra Airport yesterday morning.

"I informed the Raiders that Ruben would not be re-signing before June 30 - he wants to wait and assess his options on the open market, both here and overseas," said Banaghan.

"He also wants to contemplate his career post-playing. This will be his last contract and there are a lot of things to consider.

"Joel wants to wait for a couple of reasons. He wants to see who the club signs for next year and how the Raiders position themselves for the season ahead.

"And he wants to gauge his market worth, find out if there is any interest out there from other clubs."

Banaghan again asserted that the Raiders had made no "firm" offer for Monaghan, explaining "the only offer from them is one we turned down in February".

"The right decision is the right decision - whether it is in June or August," said Banaghan.

The news on Monaghan will be welcomed by Manly, who were outgunned in the second half after the scores were tied 16-16 at half-time. The Sea Eagles hope to have Sam Harris (back), Shayne Dunley (chest) and Chad Randall (hamstring) return for Sunday's game against Penrith.

The Raiders, who unveiled a new brand of flashy attack in Saturday's game, will have Luke Davico (ribs) and Ian Hindmarsh (quadriceps) back to play against the Warriors on Sunday.

---------

What a surprise that both men are managed by the same manager, and both have said publicly that they want to stay... yet obviously a little birdie have gotten in their ears and told them to wait so he can get a bigger slice of the pie. Ridiculous. Player managers are pure evil.

Keep your grubby hands off them, all of you!

Chook

First Grade
What really surprises me is that they haven't been linked to the Roosters??

Either the rumour mill is slipping up or we are :roll:

Chook.

Chook said:

Chook.

Well if you stop bringing it up in threads that have nothing to do with the Roosters, then maybe that stigma will go away.

A wild suggestion, I know......

OVP

Coach
What are the chances Wiki will head to the Warriors ? They need a few hardheads, and none is better than Wiki.

antonius

Coach
Chook said:

Chook.
I heard they were!!!!

Earl

Coach
Monaghan was quoted after the game saying

I've been in Canberra for 22 years and I'd love to be here for the next 22

So its pretty hard to gauge where he will be next year. If he signs with anyone other than Canberra my guess would be Parramatta or Manly.

Edwahu

Bench
Imagine Morley and Wiki in the same pack :oops:

Realistically I think Muss could go to England but I dont see him going to another NRL club except maybe the warriors. If our management has half a brain it will fix him up with a job after his career is finished, I think this could be what his manager is aiming at.

I think Monas will stay but I reckon we will end up paying over the odds for him.

OVP said:
What are the chances Wiki will head to the Warriors ? They need a few hardheads, and none is better than Wiki.
Unsure. Their form at the moment wouldn't be too appealing to him. I have a feeling he might be tempted to go over to ESL if he wants to look at his family, as if they were smart they'd throw the chequebook at him.

Ruben is an amazing player, not just individually but because he has an effect on the whole team, like Tallis and even Morley. Hell, look at how crap we were going without him in our team over the last 6 weeks, and as soon as he returns, we hit some good form because he is that inspirational.

t-ba

Post Whore
Hmm...Shades of Aaron Cannings after the Penny Panfers Match in 2003...

I don't pick the Monaghans as the type of guys who'd lie openly for a sustained period of time So I think he's just driving his value up.

Raider_69

Post Whore
They will both stay
Wiki is a gun and wont want to leave, all we need is to offer him some role for his after footy career - and why not, he is a champions

and Monnas quote sums it up, if we offer him what he is worth he will stay, we only have to worry if the managment try and screw him out of some $$

Raider_69

Post Whore
:lol: :lol:
yep melon Wiki and Monnas are already trying on their red blue and white, i dunno how you will fit them all in your dressing rooms melon :lol:

brook

First Grade
I'd take Wiki - a hardhead like that is exactly what our forward pack needs.

Unfortunantly (for us - although fortunantly for the game) I doubt he'll actually leave Canberra when push comes to shove.

Latest posts