What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wiki will leave, Monaghan a Raider or Rooster?

legend

Coach
Me either. I hope we can find some good up and comers in the flegg sides of other teams but if Joel leaves, 2005 and 06 will be lean years IMO. We simply don't have the depth in the backline to compete with the big guns.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Carney went pretty good when given a chance
Milne was in the same NSW rep team, what about giving him a run?

jed

First Grade
Is Scott Donald still unsigned? Perhaps we should be sounding him out.

legend

Coach
I agree and he wouldn't cost the earth. I think he was close to coming a few years back when Parra released him.

thickos

First Grade
Anyone heard anything over the radio or something? Its near the end of the working day, Joel is supposed to give Manly a decision...

Freddo

Juniors
if joel goes well fine dont need the bloody traitor just like finch it would be sad to lose wiki but f**k cant do to much we can only fo ur best. but our backline problem if we lose joel its no bug loss. like its been stated before we made him what he is so basically if we ca do that we can do it again. we need to be devloping our junior talent coming through. we still got robbo, phil, mogg, bulgarelli"????? dunno why" schif gafa for a few season at least. plus we got some good guys coming through like milne, chalk, smith ,franscioucs plus some poteinal talent on the cadet program plus who ever is running round in the local league waiting to be unearthed. the club wants to build the side round carney and campese so we should start by looking to see whos gonna still be round at that time. its no point goin after guys who are in there prime or nearing the end of there time. too me thats a waste of money time to start looking in to what is potenail that we can turn in to talent

greeneyed

First Grade
Manly have extended their deadline to Friday according to the DT. Michael Monaghan reported to be doing everything he can to convince Joel to go to the bottom placed club, rather than first placed Roosters. Banaghan says decision will be made by Friday.

legend

Coach
Just read that mate but from teh sounds of the article, it sound like he is definitely gone and the decision is down to the Roosters and Manly, with no mention whatsoever of the Raiders.

greeneyed

First Grade
It would do that though, as it is a Sydney paper and Manly is the source of the article.

thickos

First Grade
from nrl.com

Big Brother the key to Eagles' hopes of signing Monaghan

7 July 2004

There's one good reason why the club expected to pick up the first wooden spoon in its 57-year history believes it has the edge over NRL title favourites the Sydney Roosters in the chase for Canberra flyer Joel Monaghan's signature - Michael Monaghan.

Manly sit dead last on the NRL ladder after yet another disappointing loss last weekend, but the Sea Eagles hope its new skipper will be the secret weapon in its bid to hold out the Roosters for the Raiders utility back.

"It's a pretty big call for him. He's got the best team in the competition chasing him and the team that's coming last," said Michael, older brother of Joel.

"But I've had a fair bit of input with him coming to Manly and just what he wants to do with his football.

"If we can get a quality outside back along with the (2005) signings of Ben Kennedy and Brent Kite, we are going to have a really strong side here next year - I'd love to see him in the Manly jumper and I'll be trying my best to get him here."

Joel Monaghan's manager Jim Banaghan said his charge would make a final decision on Friday after Manly extended today's deadline to sign.

"We are making a decision on Friday. Manly did put a time frame on us (to sign today) but we said we weren't going with it - Manly have changed their attitude, have withdrawn the timeframe," Banaghan said.

Luring his younger brother to Manly would be yet another major coup for Monaghan, who took over the Sea Eagles captaincy reins from long-time skipper Steve Menzies just last weekend.

Adding to the pressure, Monaghan was named skipper in his first game back from a six-week finger injury.

"Obviously, it added a bit more pressure to the comeback but being a halfback it doesn't change my game too much - they lead the side on the field, it just made it a bit more difficult coming back," he said.

"Beaver (Menzies) has captained the side for a fair while now and I'm only new to the club so it was something I definitely didn't expect but happy to do.

"It was a complete surprise (Menzies' decision). Obviously he thought he needed to pay more attention to his game to help the team and you've got to respect his decision.

"I thought he played pretty well on the weekend so it's obviously helped him, hopefully he gets back to his best because we certainly need him playing his best football."

Monaghan, 24, will feel the heat from the outset as his side battles to avoid an historic wooden spoon in its final eight games.

"I'd like to say it (wooden spoon) doesn't play on your mind but with us sitting last in the competition it is something that does appear in the back of the mind," he said.

"We haven't spoken about it as a group.

"We are all pretty confident of winning the majority of our remaining games.
"People might scoff at that ... but we've shown when we put our best football together we are one of the most dangerous sides out there.

"Hopefully we can really toughen up our defence because we can really score points."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

No offence put piss off Mick, your input is not welcome anymore :p

t-ba

Post Whore
"It's a pretty big call for him. He's got the best team in the competition chasing him and the team that's coming last," said Michael, older brother of Joel.

He won't be signing with Manly. That's why. We'll probably have to settle for a backline with includes Paul Franze...

hrundi99

First Grade
So assuming he leaves, how is the postmatch chat on Saturday going to pan out...?

:evil: :evil: :evil:

This is why all of this stuff should be postseason.

greeneyed

First Grade
Manly gave the extension as they know the answer would be no if they enforced it. This way there is at least some remaining hope. As reported earlier in the week the real choice is between the Raiders and the Roosters.

thickos

First Grade
Yeah you make a good point greeneyed but I worry about the influence of his evil older brother.... :p

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
My theory is that Monas went down to see his brother under the pretext of contract negotiations. It would probably be a lot more difficult for him to spend any real time with Mick unless he did it that way.

That's what I'm hoping anyways.